2021 GB Roster & Free Agents

squire12

3 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

Lot of fans don't really pay attention to the specifics.  They know slot receivers are a thing so they want one, because Green Bay didn't have one so that must have been the issue.  I agree, there's no space for that kind of player in MLF's system.  He likes his big slots because they spend more time blocking than anything else; Lazard or ESB can drive a DE back into the flow, more important to this offense than being able to run a whip route.  Especially with Adams outside, most of the targets are going to him anyway.

I kind of disagree.  Kind of.  There is a spot for a Tyler Ervin/Tavon Austin type of player.  They line up a lot where a slot guy would line up.  They are also smaller body types than MVS/Lazard/EQ.  Where I think the difference lies, is the typical "slot guy" is a small, quick WR that offers little as a blocker, and we are using more RBs that can catch but line up in a "WR spot."  So we are looking for James White rather than Wes Welker.  It would have been neat to see Randall Cobb, or rookie Ty Montgomery in this offense.  

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I kind of disagree.  Kind of.  There is a spot for a Tyler Ervin/Tavon Austin type of player.  They line up a lot where a slot guy would line up.  They are also smaller body types than MVS/Lazard/EQ.  Where I think the difference lies, is the typical "slot guy" is a small, quick WR that offers little as a blocker, and we are using more RBs that can catch but line up in a "WR spot."  So we are looking for James White rather than Wes Welker.  It would have been neat to see Randall Cobb, or rookie Ty Montgomery in this offense.  

That's exactly where the argument lies. Sure, there is a spot for one. But not at the expense of the OL, DL, CB, ILB etc etc. The Packers are not in a place to afford luxuries. Gute has fallen behind the sticks by using premium picks at non-premium roster spots. You simply can't do that

Edited by cannondale

23 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Fair enough in that light, but I'd say that as you point out it's less a receiving role and more an athlete role that will occasionally catch passes.  Ervin was targeted on 15 passes in 2020, he ran the ball 13 times, and that's counting all the tap pass type stuff as passes.  Really you're just looking for an athlete that can run to daylight, which to me is just very different than a small body receiver relying on CoD skills.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

Fair enough in that light, but I'd say that as you point out it's less a receiving role and more an athlete role that will occasionally catch passes.  Ervin was targeted on 15 passes in 2020, he ran the ball 13 times, and that's counting all the tap pass type stuff as passes.  Really you're just looking for an athlete that can run to daylight, which to me is just very different than a small body receiver relying on CoD skills.

Absolutely agree.  I was just saying that not every guy has to be St Brown physically to fit in.  I really liked the RB from Memphis that some people have had in mock drafts, to fit this role.  But with re-signing of Aaron Jones, I don't think that is a great use of our capital.  If we are looking to draft and sign WRs though, we are probably looking for at least a 6'2 200+ pound guy, as fits the pattern.  

Bringing back King seems like a no brainer to me. Kid can play. So what he messed up in the nfc championship game. Every started messed up during that game. 

on they play he got burned on, not only was it the wrong play call, he should’ve never been on the field. Rodgers threw the INT. When did King get burned like that during the season. I’m firmly in the bring Kev back team.

Edited by gopackgo972
  • Like 1

I agree that we are pretty well boned with our defensive line.  I'm no expert, but what I have heard is that this is a poor DL class overall.  I don't know when we should have gone DL in the last couple of drafts, but we really should have been working on the depth in the very least.  We have been running with Clark, Lowry and nobody since Letroy Guion left 3 or 4 years ago.  Later I might look at the hindsight machine to see if we could have done anything there, but it really feels like this was neglected in particular by both TT and Gute.  

I don't know how to pull the entire quote from the other thread, but I feel it fits here better.  

Since I have nothing better to do, I am going to go back to 2017 and our lack of DL attention.  We have added players, but not a whole lot to write home about.  In 2016 we drafted Kenny Clark and Dean Lowry.  We can possibly give them a pass in 2017 as Letroy Guion was still on the team at the time of the draft.  However he was released before the season started after his 233rd disciplinary suspension.  We also still had Mike Daniels.

I am going to be extremely generous with calling draft picks hits if we even got any use out of them.  And thus will be more hesitant to call for "Player X" instead of "Packer draftee A" in those instances.  I am also only going to exchange our picks with DL.  And I am looking for heavier guys, true linemen, not edge rushers.  To gage a player's worth I was mostly concerned with the games played and games started.  I think that is probably the biggest source of possible error in the evaluation, someone has to play, and he could just stink less than his teammates.  I am also only allowed to take a player between Packers picks; so I can't exchange Rashan Gary for a 4th rounder, as we had multiple real shots to take said player again.    

2017: 

DL:  Dean Lowry, Kenny Clark, Mike Daniels. 

Draft hits:  Kevin King, Jamaal Williams, Aaron Jones.  DL drafted: Montravious Adams (3.93). 

This was not a good draft for the Packers.  Nearly all of the picks could be substituted for another player and give an improvement.  Again, we probably had plans on Guion being back, but he was not. 

Replacements for DL help:  Josh Jones (2.61) for Larry Ogunjobi (3.65).  Vince Biegel (4.108) for Jaleel Johnson (4.109).  The big one here is Ogunjobi for Jones.  Ogunjobi has started 47 games for the Browns, and has been pretty active for a DT as far as tackles are concerned.  He isn't a superstar, but Jones was a one game wonder.  Johnson started 16 games for the Vikings at DE in 2020.  Is he better than Lowry? Probably not.  But we got nothing out of Biegel, so sub that pick.

2018:  DL:  Dean Lowry, Kenny Clark, Mike Daniels.

Draft hits:  Jaire Alexander, Josh Jackson, JK Scott, Marques Valdez-Scantling, Equanimeous St. Brown, Hunter Bradley.  DL drafted: James Looney.

Being liberal with my hits here,  but we have used all of these guys. 

Replacements for DL help:  J'Mon Moore (4.133) for Bilal Nichols (5.145).  Nichols has been a good contributor for the Bears, J'Mon was typical turd J'Mon.  This draft really wasn't going to offer much help to the DL for us.  I even looked at picks between Jackson and Burks, and again Burks to Scott, and there really just wasn't much there that would have made much of a difference.  Those guys may have been better than Burks, but they would also have been a waste of a third.  Perhaps you take Sebastian Joseph, he has started 31 games over the last two seasons for the Rams.  But by my rules, I have to give up MVS for him, and I flat out refuse to do that.

2019:  DL:  Dean Lowry, Kenny Clark, Tyler Lancaster.

Draft hits: Rashan Gary, Darnell Savage, Elgton Jenkins, Kingsley Keke, Ty Summers.  DL drafted: Kingsley Keke (5.150)

Replacements for DL help:  None? The real options here were Christian Wilkins, Dexter Lawrence, or Jeffery Simmons over Rashan Gary.  I can see arguments for either.  Being a fan, it is exciting watching the improvement of Rashan Gary though.  I think I would rather ride this one out.

2020:  DL:  Dean Lowry, Kenny Clark, Kingsley Keke.

Draft hits: AJ Dillon, Quadzilla, The Quadfather, Vernon Scott (don't you dare disagree).  DL Drafted: None

Replacements for DL help:  It is pretty early to gage this one.  We got nothing from Love this season, but the only DT that did anything between him and Dillon was Raekwon the chef Davis, and that is a difference in 30 picks.  We could have gotten that good penetration from John Penisini, but we would have to give up John Runyan Jr, who looks like he will be a good lineman from what we have seen so far.  

I am having a difficult time reaching a conclusion here.  Finding good defensive linemen is difficult.  

5 hours ago, gopackgo972 said:

Bringing back King seems like a no brainer to me. Kid can play. So what he messed up in the nfc championship game. Every started messed up during that game. 

on they play he got burned on, not only was it the wrong play call, he should’ve never been on the field. Rodgers threw the INT. When did King get burned like that during the season. I’m firmly in the bring Kev back team.

Yup ... when he's not injured sitting on the bench.  Saying "so what if he messed up the nfc championship game"?? LOL, Bostick did the same and he was run out of town.  And no, not every starter messed up that game.  Nice you are in King's corner .. not all of us are.  As stated before, if GB can sign him on a cheap deal .. fine.  If not, no tears will be wasted here.