2021 GB Roster & Free Agents

squire12

5 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I don't know how to pull the entire quote from the other thread, but I feel it fits here better.  

Since I have nothing better to do, I am going to go back to 2017 and our lack of DL attention.  We have added players, but not a whole lot to write home about.  In 2016 we drafted Kenny Clark and Dean Lowry.  We can possibly give them a pass in 2017 as Letroy Guion was still on the team at the time of the draft.  However he was released before the season started after his 233rd disciplinary suspension.  We also still had Mike Daniels.

I am going to be extremely generous with calling draft picks hits if we even got any use out of them.  And thus will be more hesitant to call for "Player X" instead of "Packer draftee A" in those instances.  I am also only going to exchange our picks with DL.  And I am looking for heavier guys, true linemen, not edge rushers.  To gage a player's worth I was mostly concerned with the games played and games started.  I think that is probably the biggest source of possible error in the evaluation, someone has to play, and he could just stink less than his teammates.  I am also only allowed to take a player between Packers picks; so I can't exchange Rashan Gary for a 4th rounder, as we had multiple real shots to take said player again.    

2017: 

DL:  Dean Lowry, Kenny Clark, Mike Daniels. 

Draft hits:  Kevin King, Jamaal Williams, Aaron Jones.  DL drafted: Montravious Adams (3.93). 

This was not a good draft for the Packers.  Nearly all of the picks could be substituted for another player and give an improvement.  Again, we probably had plans on Guion being back, but he was not. 

Replacements for DL help:  Josh Jones (2.61) for Larry Ogunjobi (3.65).  Vince Biegel (4.108) for Jaleel Johnson (4.109).  The big one here is Ogunjobi for Jones.  Ogunjobi has started 47 games for the Browns, and has been pretty active for a DT as far as tackles are concerned.  He isn't a superstar, but Jones was a one game wonder.  Johnson started 16 games for the Vikings at DE in 2020.  Is he better than Lowry? Probably not.  But we got nothing out of Biegel, so sub that pick.

2018:  DL:  Dean Lowry, Kenny Clark, Mike Daniels.

Draft hits:  Jaire Alexander, Josh Jackson, JK Scott, Marques Valdez-Scantling, Equanimeous St. Brown, Hunter Bradley.  DL drafted: James Looney.

Being liberal with my hits here,  but we have used all of these guys. 

Replacements for DL help:  J'Mon Moore (4.133) for Bilal Nichols (5.145).  Nichols has been a good contributor for the Bears, J'Mon was typical turd J'Mon.  This draft really wasn't going to offer much help to the DL for us.  I even looked at picks between Jackson and Burks, and again Burks to Scott, and there really just wasn't much there that would have made much of a difference.  Those guys may have been better than Burks, but they would also have been a waste of a third.  Perhaps you take Sebastian Joseph, he has started 31 games over the last two seasons for the Rams.  But by my rules, I have to give up MVS for him, and I flat out refuse to do that.

2019:  DL:  Dean Lowry, Kenny Clark, Tyler Lancaster.

Draft hits: Rashan Gary, Darnell Savage, Elgton Jenkins, Kingsley Keke, Ty Summers.  DL drafted: Kingsley Keke (5.150)

Replacements for DL help:  None? The real options here were Christian Wilkins, Dexter Lawrence, or Jeffery Simmons over Rashan Gary.  I can see arguments for either.  Being a fan, it is exciting watching the improvement of Rashan Gary though.  I think I would rather ride this one out.

2020:  DL:  Dean Lowry, Kenny Clark, Kingsley Keke.

Draft hits: AJ Dillon, Quadzilla, The Quadfather, Vernon Scott (don't you dare disagree).  DL Drafted: None

Replacements for DL help:  It is pretty early to gage this one.  We got nothing from Love this season, but the only DT that did anything between him and Dillon was Raekwon the chef Davis, and that is a difference in 30 picks.  We could have gotten that good penetration from John Penisini, but we would have to give up John Runyan Jr, who looks like he will be a good lineman from what we have seen so far.  

I am having a difficult time reaching a conclusion here.  Finding good defensive linemen is difficult.  

Good write-up.  Unless a team drafts in the top 1-15 picks in a draft, a good DL is indeed hard to find.  The draft GB did have one of those top picks it was Gary which seems to be a decent choice.  Lots of moaning and groaning about not getting one but there has to be one available to begin with.  That being said, GB indeed needs help in that area.    

Woo hoo hoo! I've just come across this eye opening quote.

Put this on the tombstone of that draft: In four seasons, King – a man paid to cover – has five interceptions and 27 passes defensed. Watt – a man paid to sack the quarterback – has four interceptions and 25 passes defensed.

😵

Edited by Chili

At this point it seems likely enough that King can be had for a pretty reasonable number.  I kind of wish the team had retained Pettine and just run the same defense back in 2021.  The few minutes on either side of halftime in the NFCC has really skewed how good this team was in the minds of many fans.

32 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

At this point it seems likely enough that King can be had for a pretty reasonable number.  I kind of wish the team had retained Pettine and just run the same defense back in 2021.  The few minutes on either side of halftime in the NFCC has really skewed how good this team was in the minds of many fans.

You are giving me Capers flashbacks and I don't appreciate it. The Packers have relied on Rodgers, and even at MVP levels, it hasn't been good enough. This isn't the NBA. Pettine was just another Capers, sadly. It speaks volumes that when both left, they didn't get a coordinator job. If the goal is another Super Bowl, the defense has to be better. Players, coaches, both. Whatever it takes. 

2 hours ago, coachbuns said:

Good write-up.  Unless a team drafts in the top 1-15 picks in a draft, a good DL is indeed hard to find.  The draft GB did have one of those top picks it was Gary which seems to be a decent choice.  Lots of moaning and groaning about not getting one but there has to be one available to begin with.  That being said, GB indeed needs help in that area.    

It took me a very long time to write that, and a lot of it was trying to figure out how to help that DL as a conclusion.  I probably sat there looking at the computer for half an hour writing one or two sentences and saying, "nah, that is wrong."  We don't have the money for good free agents.  Do we just draft 2 or 3 DL every year and hope for a hit? I don't know.  How much better is "6th round DT X" than UDFA Tyler Lancaster? The year we signed Lancaster, we drafted Looney.  I thought that I would find a sure thing, but I really didn't.  I don't know how to fix it while still maintaining some semblance of how the team is built.  Sure, I could say, don't pay Bakhtiari, or cut Adams, but that creates different roster holes.

55 minutes ago, cannondale said:

You are giving me Capers flashbacks and I don't appreciate it. The Packers have relied on Rodgers, and even at MVP levels, it hasn't been good enough. This isn't the NBA. Pettine was just another Capers, sadly. It speaks volumes that when both left, they didn't get a coordinator job. If the goal is another Super Bowl, the defense has to be better. Players, coaches, both. Whatever it takes. 

That is not at all fair to Dom Capers.

3 hours ago, Chili said:

Just come across this tidbit. Sounds like 49ers have some interest in Lane Taylor.

I honestly don't know why more teams aren't putting out feelers for him.  He has had horrible luck the last two seasons, but has played well when he is in games.  I think the Packers have to allow their young players to get more practice time to see what they have, as Taylor is 31.  I still think that the guard position is pretty deep for the Packers, we have 3 known quantities in Turner, Patrick, and Jenkins, and Runyan looks good so far.  But for a team that may not be as deep? Why not take a shot at a guy that was the day 1 starter for one of the better OLs in the league just last season?  He should be pretty reasonably priced.

1 minute ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I honestly don't know why more teams aren't putting out feelers for him.  He has had horrible luck the last two seasons, but has played well when he is in games.  I think the Packers have to allow their young players to get more practice time to see what they have, as Taylor is 31.  I still think that the guard position is pretty deep for the Packers, we have 3 known quantities in Turner, Patrick, and Jenkins, and Runyan looks good so far.  But for a team that may not be as deep? Why not take a shot at a guy that was the day 1 starter for one of the better OLs in the league just last season?  He should be pretty reasonably priced.

Because even when he was healthy, he was nothing special.  At best, he was a league average OG.  But when you factor in that he's been injured for most of the past 2 seasons, there's really not going to be much interest.

58 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Because even when he was healthy, he was nothing special.  At best, he was a league average OG.  But when you factor in that he's been injured for most of the past 2 seasons, there's really not going to be much interest.

He's nothing special - but handy to have around. Can fill a pothole or gets us over an injury bump in the road.

I'm not an OL expert - but its somewhat amusing to read about all the positional applications various posters are assigning to Jenkins. The guy's certainly talented - no questioning that - and can more than aptly cover multiple positions. We'll be SCREWED if he gets hurt.

I wouldnt mind having Taylor around.

Love me some Lane Taylor. Hes a good dude and has been through hell and back in a football world. The guys started at LT for us even... hope the guy the best.

Also he us a damn good BBQ'er. If any of you are into that, I suggest looking up his Instagram. Prepare yourself to be hungry afterwards.

I think this is pretty up do date on the roster as of now

CB and DL would be areas of concern.   Not really happy with the OG, but there are not really resources to do much at the present time.   

GB has around $3.8M in cap space.   Net cap hit on rookie picks is around $1.87M

STARTER        
QB Aaron Rodgers Jordan Love      
RB Aaron Jones AJ Dillon Dexter Williams Patrick Taylor Mike Weber
FB Josiah Deguara        
WR Davante Adams Devin Funchess Juwan Winfree    
WR MVS EQ Reggie Begalton    
WR Allan Lazard Chris Blair      
TE Robert Tonyan Jace Sternberger Isaac Nauta Dominque Dafney  
LT David Bahktiari Yosh Nijman      
LG John Runyan Simon Stepaniak      
C Elgton Jenkins Chad Hanson      
RG Lucas Patrick        
RT Billy Turner Zach Johnson      

STARTER        
LDE Dean Lowry   Bronson Kafusi    
NT Kenny Clark Anthony Rush      
RDE Kingsley Keke Willington Prevlion      
WLB Rashan Gary Preston Smith Randy Ramsey    
LILB Kamal Martin Oren Burks Curtis Bolton    
RILB Krys Barnes Ty Summers Scoota Harris    
SLB Za'Darius Smith Jonathan Garvin Delontae Scoot Tipa Galeai  
LCB Jaire Alexander Josh Jackson Innes Gaines    
SS Adrian Amos Ray Wilborn      
FS Darnell Savage Vernon Scott      
RCB Chandon Sullivan Kabion Ento      
Slot CB Ka'dar Hollman Stanford Samuels KeiVarae Russell    

STARTER        
PK Mason Crosby JJ Moison      
P JK Scott Ryan Winslow      
H JK Scott        
PR          
KR          
LS Hunter Bradley        

8 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Damn. If Keke doesn't explode and we get two huge surprises in our secondary, that looks like a bottom 10 defense honestly.

I'm not sure if Gute is overrating the talent on hand, but there is no doubt the Packers could use a player at DL, LB, and CB this offseason.  I'd prefer it not all be rookies .. it's a crap shoot as to what we will get there.  DL is a position that gets overlooked in Green Bay, and it's the one area of defense that can impact LB, and DB the most.  The better the pressure and run stuffing the better the other units will be.  Going out there with Lancaster and Lowry's every year isn't going to cut it.  It's time to add legit talent.

17 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Damn. If Keke doesn't explode and we get two huge surprises in our secondary, that looks like a bottom 10 defense honestly.

As of now, there is a lot of question marks in key positions as starters and depth.  

CB group:   Alexander, Sullivan, Hollman, Jackson, Samuels, Ento, Russell

DL group:   Clark, Lowry, Keke, Rush, Prevlion, Kafusi

LB group:  Martin, Barnes, Summers, Burks