2021 GB Roster & Free Agents

squire12

5 minutes ago, jleisher said:

I would sign these 3 free agents.  Linsley 3yrs/$9m per 40% guaranteed, cap hit $6.75m.  J. Williams 3yrs/$5m per 30% guaranteed, cap hit $3.75.  L. Taylor 1yr/$3m.

You can probably get Lane Taylor for the minimum at this point tbh.

• Like 2

I'm not really into paying Jones or King. Cheap contract for Jamal makes sense, how much is Linsley wanting? Feeling meh on that deal too. That's a top tier center, but how much is that worth? We're bring back Taylor, could be useful, Patrick can slot in, Jenkins could be elite there, we have guard talent in the wings (Stepaniack has real run talent and Runyan showed enough). Don't pay Linsley. 

Watt on a deal that makes sense, 100%. I also like not having to put draft capital there, because let's be honest 1st round DT's rarely make an impact. Wagner is gone IMO, served a clear purpose, but IDK, and then we deal with what is left. I feel like a year with Funchess and Austin is going to give them a real chance to compete in the WR game. Maybe draft a RB at some point, but Dillon and Williams should be decent. Especially with Ervin being the 3rd and Austin probably being able to take minutes. Deguara is another name to think about there. 

I think Gute is going to make next years team better than this one. There are definitely options, and we already have talent ready to take the next step. 

8 minutes ago, oldmansmell said:

I think Gute is going to make next years team better than this one. 

But how? We have no money. The only way I see that happening is that vets like Watt who've already made their money and looking for rings gives us a big discount. To replace Jones production we need to draft a RB high. Sorry J. Williams don't cut it for me.

11 minutes ago, St Vince said:

But how? We have no money. The only way I see that happening is that vets like Watt who've already made their money and looking for rings gives us a big discount. To replace Jones production we need to draft a RB high. Sorry J. Williams don't cut it for me.

I’m hopeful Dillon can replace a good portion of that production. Obviously Jones has been fantastic and one of our better offensive players in recent memory, so those are big shoes to fill. But I think Dillon has a lot of potential based on how he ran the ball and what seems to be some untapped potential in the pass game. Also seems like a good kid willing to put in the work.

Anyone have any thoughts on Williams’ market value? He’s been remarkably consistent, averaging a clean 4.0 yards per carry and finishing between 460-560 yards all four years. He’ll be 26 though and I don’t know how other teams will value a player like him. I’d like to see him back on a cheap deal if that’s an option. 

If we have Dillon, Williams, and a mid-round rookie going into next year, I’ll feel pretty good about the position. 

15 hours ago, fattlipp said:

Williams is the new Starks, what did he get...

I have to agree. He quietly balled out this season and Dillon proved that he could take on a bigger workload. Also, bear in mind that Jones got fewer snaps down the stretch - not sure anyone really noticed that, but we saw a ton of Williams and more Dillon. Was this intentional?

We need to forget about Watt once and for all; he's never going to be a Packer, I'm sorry. 

I think Linsley gets a nice deal and Jones is on the way out TBH. I don't doubt that he's a special player, but we could get that same type of player again in the draft IMHO and if our OL continues to remain an elite, top-3 unit we have to discuss whether or not this is a situation similar to that in Denver for all those years under Shanny. In other words, does it matter who the RB is behind that OL?

On 1/31/2021 at 8:38 PM, St Vince said:

All of this obviously depends on what the cap is set at. Maybe I'll put it this way. We won't have to trade a generational talent at DL so as to pay a sub par one ok and keep other parts of our team. So to speak, we can maintain our core while other teams falter. Maybe we lose another NFC championship to the rams or something, but we'll be back the next year. Which is getting sorta frustrating, but I'd still rather be a Packer fan than a 49er fan.

On 2/1/2021 at 2:24 PM, Joe said:

I have to agree. He quietly balled out this season and Dillon proved that he could take on a bigger workload. Also, bear in mind that Jones got fewer snaps down the stretch - not sure anyone really noticed that, but we saw a ton of Williams and more Dillon. Was this intentional?

We need to forget about Watt once and for all; he's never going to be a Packer, I'm sorry. 

I think Linsley gets a nice deal and Jones is on the way out TBH. I don't doubt that he's a special player, but we could get that same type of player again in the draft IMHO and if our OL continues to remain an elite, top-3 unit we have to discuss whether or not this is a situation similar to that in Denver for all those years under Shanny. In other words, does it matter who the RB is behind that OL?

Gute has talked several times about wanting Jones back. Not so much Linsley. Linsley is an All-Pro, but if they feel they need an All-Pro Center they can put Jenkins there. Frankly I don't see either one of them with the Packers next year. Williams is an interesting situation because of the uncertainty of his market value. Do other teams see him being able to take on an even bigger role than he had with the Packers?

1 hour ago, Rainmaker90 said:

What’s everyone thinking the difference between Jones’ and Williams’ contracts will be ?  And how close would they have to be for them to consider Jones more?

10 mil per for Jones and 5 mil per for Williams.  I really think they want Jones back and are hoping he and his side will meet them in the middle somewhere.  They made an offer already, but it was rejected.  

9 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

10 mil per for Jones and 5 mil per for Williams.  I really think they want Jones back and are hoping he and his side will meet them in the middle somewhere.  They made an offer already, but it was rejected.  

Jamaal Williams isn't getting that much.

On 1/30/2021 at 8:30 PM, CWood21 said:

You can probably get Lane Taylor for the minimum at this point tbh.

Which would be smart. I'm not on board with paying Linsley, as good as he is. I'm rolling with Bakh (when ready) - Jenkins - Patrick - Runyan - Turner as my starting 5 next season and I'd have Taylor and Stepaniak ready to battle for the RG spot as well. 

Biggest question is whether we are forced to hold onto Wagner, at least until we have a better prognosis for Bakh's start to the season.