2021 GB Roster & Free Agents

squire12

I like this. For 1 year 6 mil you get a viable starter in case the draft doesn't fall your way. When healthy, he is a B- CB, and we could do a lot worse. This way you don't have to be forced into a situation where your #2 CB gets utterly abused. Is he a lock down corner? No, but many teams start worse CB than Kevin King

9 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

is it possible to believe kevin king sucks without it being related to the hail mary or the fact that we traded back and missed out on watt lol. wtf man am i going crazy lol? he's been a below average starting corner his entire career. you can look at the pff metrics or whatever if you want "metrics" lol almost every metric, including just watching him and seeing how he gets picked on almost every week, indicates he's not a good nfl starter. 

Because Alexander is the other CB?

look I mention those items because based on his play he is average. But knowing GB could of had watt, his injuries and the fact he isn’t a Alexander clone... shades opinions to him being terrible/bad. His is the fan base’d new player to irrationally complain about.

He isn’t bad... I’ve seen bad corner play, king isn’t that. He is just uneven and he is the perfect case of, you can always do better. He will have a good game then a poor game. Then he will miss 2 games and everyone will complain because the guys behind him are worse.

1 minute ago, FinneasGage said:

i just wasn't aware most packer fans were under the impression king is a good starter. 

Who said good? Average is the word being used.

People might be saying a good signing because in a depressed cap and given the money King is likely the best option on the table of the packers. I think most feel they still need to draft a guy like newsome or Samuel.

No one is lying to themselves saying king is the answer. We just don’t think he is hot garbage like you.

• Like 1

Just now, cannondale said:

What would have been your solution ?

That's my question too. KK doesn't excite me in any way, but I would be far more worried rolling into the draft with Jaire and Sullivan. And I don't see anyone else available that's better than King, either.

Glad to have him back.  We had a good team with a good chance; taking another crack at it with basically the same team plus internal improvement and some draft additions is OK with me. (I'd thought our talent would decline worse...). 

He'll be super motivated.   I'm curious whether there won't be some tweaks to the defense that impact him some.  

Don't think it changes the urgency of both spending a high pick on CB, and hitting on it.  King and lots of expiring contracts, need a long-term club-control CB who's good. 

I don't expect it, but *IF* you hit on a rookie CB who's variably ready to play already, there are limitless snaps available for an upgrade secondary guy, even if he didn't take snaps from King.  Jackson, Redmond, and Hollman combined for almost as many snaps as Jaire.  So *if* you pick a secondary guy who can cover and who's ready to help as a rookie, it's not like King and rookie need to be competing for the same snaps.  , 

Man do I have a very different opinion on King than a lot of you.  Think Pettine's terrible usage of KK really cast him in a bad light with Packers fans.  

King's a good player, he's just a very specific player.  He's a 6'3" CB - there's a reason there's only three of those starting in the league right now.  Hard to drop the hips and change direction with all that extra length, half the reason people think King is slow even if he's running step for step with his man.  Running C2/C4 with him outside frankly went better than I'd have expected given how bad a fit he is for a role that's basically just an extended shuttle run with tackling.  

King fits best by far in a C3 system, but if you want to play him in C2 they should have just had him inverting coverage with Savage a bunch.  Savage is fast enough to make that coverage even from deep half, as long as you don't telegraph it too much, and King is a monster back deep - of his 6 career picks, all but one came covering the deepest man.  Or just have King play the slot and put Sullivan outside; get your 6'3" CB with gangly *** arms covering the seam and your 5'11" CB who can stop on a dime and likes to play through blocks playing curl/flat instead of confusingly vice-versa.

There's plenty of options as long as whatever you do isn't "have Kevin try to tackle their shiftiest players in the flat 10 times a game".  If Barry can be in the least bit creative with King I suspect fans will have a pretty different opinion of him going into 2022.

• Like 8