2021 GB Roster & Free Agents

squire12

a $6million cap hit puts King around the 25th highest cap hit CB for 2021.

This is passable.

a $4million cap hit puts King around 34th highest cap hit CB for 2021.

That's probably a good value.

Consider how many "better" CBs are on rookie contracts (gut says 10-12 maybe?) and the value shows up even more. Like @MrBobGray indicates, he can hopefully be utilized better than he was (and stay healthy). There's a chance for this signing to be good value if everything clicks.

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

I just hope this isn't "the move" of the off-season. The Packers are still a worse team now than they were in January. I hope all this talk about a big move with 12's contract comes to fruition and Gute gets aggressive in this secondary FA market before and after the draft to address some other positions on both defense and offense. 

As of right now, Gute hasn't done anything to actually improve this roster. There's still time to change that. 

I can understand the frustration but as a Packer fan you must be used to this by now?

Gute is from the Ted tree. They basically draft and develop. The improvement will rarely come from splashy free agents. 

Last year we signed a couple of middling free agents and fans were losing their minds about the WR position.  But we ended up being a much better team. 

No guarantees we will be improved this coming season but for your future sanity as a Packer fan under Gute I think you need to focus less on the first week of free agency. 

Always knew King would take a JuJu-like deal with us.

The longer FA went on, seeing other players get signed elsewhere and nothing happening for either the Packers and King. There was only one obvious conclusion.

Let's not freak out. He was part of a team that went 13-3 two years in a row. That's none too shabby despite his disastrous performance in the NFC championship game.

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Do we use one of those 4ths to trade up somewhere though? Also, LOL at your Lancaster comment. I doubt he gets $8 mil but somehow wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

Gute has some history trading away 4ths. 

Shipped 2 to go up for Savage. Used one to get Love. 

• Like 1

I don't think free agency is necessarily done for us. I expect us to make a few minor moves such as Tyler Ervin and maaaaybe at a push Will Redmond. I think everyone else who was a Packer last year is gone.

If there is any outside acquisition then it's likely to address the DL depth, I have my eye on Carlos Dunlup.

I can't ignore adding OT either. Linsley and Wagner are gone and Bakhtiari is injured. Do we want to move Turner permanently to RT? Who is going to step in at LT? Is Jenkins going to remain at LG or move to C or LT? Far too many question marks. Someone like Alejandro Villanueva makes alot of sense and with his durability and experience he would help stablise the line and remove some of those questionmarks.

Dunlap wouldn't count against our comp picks whereas Villanueva will. It will be interesting to see which way the Packers will choose to prioritise if they do make another move in FA.

Edited by Chili
  • Like 2

Biggest concern is Dline. Because no help is coming via the draft unless GB has luck tattooed on them.

They need to sign some cheap FAs for at least depth. Clark, keke and Lowery... isn’t going to get it done. More so when the system they are adopting had one of the greatest interior Dline players ever making it all work.

5 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Biggest concern is Dline. Because no help is coming via the draft unless GB has luck tattooed on them.

They need to sign some cheap FAs for at least depth. Clark, keke and Lowery... isn’t going to get it done. More so when the system they are adopting had one of the greatest interior Dline players ever making it all work.

bingo

if we don't somehow acquire an improvement on DL that can contribute immediately (either via FA or trade) I see us having about zero chance to win a SB this year. That group is just way too thin and untalented to win a super bowl with.

I'm a heretic, but team got pretty far with the D-line as was.  Run D was bad, I get that; but that was partly scheme.  Down the stretch, when they wanted to stop run, they did pretty OK.  Titans got contained, and Tampa's run was very well contained.  Obviously the run-contain DL got no pass pressure, so that's a problem.  But I'm not guessing there are any great-pressure-and-great-run-stuff guys hanging out in the market now, at our prices; or where we'll be drafting.  

I think they may kinda need to work with what they've got, more or less, and scheme around it, in terms of DL? 

Sure, they'll add somebody or two, but there probably aren't any very impactful pressure+run-stop guys likely to join the roster.  

1 hour ago, FinneasGage said:

i just wasn't aware most packer fans were under the impression king is a good starter. 

That because one off-season, someone spent a lot and time and effort to tell us that House was going to be a good corner here.

Now, all joking aside, I don't know about the NFL, but there are 8 "starting" corners in the division.

Chicago:  Johnson and Trufant

Detroit: Okuhah and Oruwariye

Vikings: Peterson and Gladney

Packers:  Alexander and King

I'll take King over Trufant, anyone in Detroit and Gladney.

I'd put King at #4.  Could be a homer.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

bingo

if we don't somehow acquire an improvement on DL that can contribute immediately (either via FA or trade) I see us having about zero chance to win a SB this year. That group is just way too thin and untalented to win a super bowl with.

Now evaluate it with:

ZaDarius Smith as a full time DL taking all of dean lowry's snaps.
Preston Smith playing edge instead of dropping into coverage.

If you consider Z as a DL, the DL is fine.

2 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Now evaluate it with:

ZaDarius Smith as a full time DL taking all of dean lowry's snaps.
Preston Smith playing edge instead of dropping into coverage.

If you consider Z as a DL, the DL is fine.

You want to take the best Edge and make him play DL full time, where he can't possibly sustain, and you want to take the worst Edge and play him full time at Edge ? You want a WR in the First 2 rounds dont you