2021 GB Roster & Free Agents

squire12

I’m not sure where else to post this, but I continue seeing every mock people make cutting Christian Kirksey and I completely understand the savings and logic behind Martin and Barnes there but am I the only one who isn’t so sure about doing that after the way he finished the season? He really came on late, and if he can be that guy next to a year 2 Barnes inside we have a chance to finally have a good set of ILBs. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

I’m not sure where else to post this, but I continue seeing every mock people make cutting Christian Kirksey and I completely understand the savings and logic behind Martin and Barnes there but am I the only one who isn’t so sure about doing that after the way he finished the season? He really came on late, and if he can be that guy next to a year 2 Barnes inside we have a chance to finally have a good set of ILBs. 

I think it’s pretty unlikely we cut anyone to save cap room. I think we will get enough from restructuring Rodgers/Z. 

1 hour ago, Rodjahs12 said:

I'd love to keep Kirk if we can for these reasons. Once he was put back into his natural position, he played very well. Never hurts to have that kind of veteran player on your team as well. That being said, other than P. Smith, he's probably the next guy on the list you'd have to trim, especially if the Packers plan to let Martin have the first shot to win the ILB position next to Barnes. 

• Like 1

I mean, we have to cut him.

Cap is rumored to be at $180M. 

9 minutes ago, FAH1223 said:

I mean, we have to cut him.

Cap is rumored to be at $180M. 

A Davante extension alone should be enough to offset the need to cut Kirksey. He’s been the most obvious cut all season long I just don’t think that’s necessarily true anymore after the way he played in the postseason and the end of the regular season. 

Edited by Rodjahs12

I think he can be cut, and brought back.

I think the league is going to have dozens of "Kirksey" type players.  Fine players.  But easily replaced if the cap stays flat or goes down.  

Kirksey is a 7.61M cap hit in 2021.  $2M is dead money.

Let's just say he is cut.  We "gain" 5.61M of space.  He gets $2M.

I don't think he's going to get a 7.6M offer in free agency this year.  Could be wrong about that, but I think he's a 1 year, 1.5M player in this next season.  (And I'm probably off there, but go with me....)

So, let's sign him for 1.5M guaranteed.  We then use up 1.5M of our space, meaning we get Kirksey, and 4.1M of space.  And really he's making 3.5M next year.

If he likes GB, that could happen.  Or, if you think he's worth more than 1.5, up that number and take it out of the 5.61M.

There is a way to cut him and re-sign him for less.

Not sure the same thing can't be done with a guy like Wagner.

Am I missing anything?  Besides the player maybe getting a better offer in free agency?

43 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I think the league is going to have dozens of "Kirksey" type players.  Fine players.  But easily replaced if the cap stays flat or goes down.  

I don't think he's going to get a 7.6M offer in free agency this year.  Could be wrong about that, but I think he's a 1 year, 1.5M player in this next season.  (And I'm probably off there, but go with me....)

So, let's sign him for 1.5M guaranteed.  We then use up 1.5M of our space, meaning we get Kirksey, and 4.1M of space.  And really he's making 3.5M next year.

If he likes GB, that could happen.  Or, if you think he's worth more than 1.5, up that number and take it out of the 5.61M.

Am I missing anything?  Besides the player maybe getting a better offer in free agency?

I think you can cut Kirksey and then sign him for 2M. They'll need to decide right at the start of the league year though because he has a 2.4M roster bonus due March 19. 

I wonder if they want him though if the new DC runs a 4-3. Does he fit very well as a mike or will in a 4-3? 

3 hours ago, Rodjahs12 said:

Given we have Martin and Barnes, keeping Kirksey around is a massive luxury.

Maybe if we had 50m free cap space you consider it although its still probably a bit of a waste. Given cap space is at an absolute premium this season, cutting Kirksey is about as clear cut as it gets.

Its likely we aren't going to be able to afford to keep any of King, Jones, Linsley leaving holes everywhere.  Keeping an injury prone Kirksey on his current contract when he have two decent options on rookie contracts surely can't even be remotely considered. 

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

If the cap goes down to what is forecast, there are going to be a lot of guys on vet minimum.  Teams will have to pay the can't lose players , your franchise QBs and so on. There isn't going to be a lot left for anyone else.  Its not just Packers, a lot of teams will be in this position. You pay the guys you need to pay and just patch in everywhere else. 

13 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

It keeps going up .. it was 175 a month ago .. 180 this past week .. and now 185.  

its called a negotiation.  NFL and NFLPA working toward a mutual figure.  

NFL owners will continue to float out the lower value and that will get players/agents to consider the concept of "borrowing" from future years so teams don't have to cut a lot of veteran players and those FA/veteran players have a viable FA market where there is money to be had.  

The report that the final salary cap might not be known until just a few days before the league year opens is what I feel is a negotiation tool.

12 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Which would be smart. I'm not on board with paying Linsley, as good as he is. I'm rolling with Bakh (when ready) - Jenkins - Patrick - Runyan - Turner as my starting 5 next season and I'd have Taylor and Stepaniak ready to battle for the RG spot as well. 

Biggest question is whether we are forced to hold onto Wagner, at least until we have a better prognosis for Bakh's start to the season. 

Think Wagner's play outside of the game against the Bucs combined with Bakh's injury keeps him on the roster.  Plus, I think Jenkins is going to be our starting C next year unless Hanson steps up.  It was pretty telling to me the Packers opted to go with Jenkins at C instead of Lucas Patrick when Linsley went down with injury. Really have to wonder how the OG situation sorts itself out since I think at least one of Runyan, Stepaniak, or Hanson starts.