2021 GB Roster & Free Agents

squire12

Think people think of Lowry as something he's not.  He's not just a high effort guy, there to eat snaps and just sort of exist, dude has legit physical talent.  6'6", 296 lbs, ran a 4.87 40.  There's been 100 DL that ran <4.9 at > 280 lbs in the last 20 years, and Lowry is one of them.  

More than that, among those 100 DL, he ranks:

• T-35th in vertical jump, 32.5"
  • T-18th in broad jump, 114"
  • T-19th in short shuttle, 4.38s
  • 18th in 3-cone, 7.26
  • T-22nd in bench, 30 reps

Lowry's issue is short arms on a tall guy without much of an anchor.  He absolutely can play the run and isn't half bad at it, he's just going to have some tough reps at times.  That being said, I feel Pettine didn't get great use out of Lowry either.  This DL/EDGE group should be one-gapping as much as possible, not having guys like Lowry try to consistently hold double teams or Z try to read and react .  Spill everything to Savage/Amos in the alley and let your freaks up front just attack a gap.  Jaire/Sullivan/King are all damn good force players; Jaire gets the rep because he's impossible to block but all three of those guys will take the fight to their WR.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MrBobGray said:

Think people think of Lowry as something he's not.  He's not just a high effort guy, there to eat snaps and just sort of exist, dude has legit physical talent.  6'6", 296 lbs, ran a 4.87 40.  There's been 100 DL that ran <4.9 at > 280 lbs in the last 20 years, and Lowry is one of them.  

More than that, among those 100 DL, he ranks:

• T-35th in vertical jump, 32.5"
  • T-18th in broad jump, 114"
  • T-19th in short shuttle, 4.38s
  • 18th in 3-cone, 7.26
  • T-22nd in bench, 30 reps

Lowry's issue is short arms on a tall guy without much of an anchor.  He absolutely can play the run and isn't half bad at it, he's just going to have some tough reps at times.  That being said, I feel Pettine didn't get great use out of Lowry either.  This DL/EDGE group should be one-gapping as much as possible, not having guys like Lowry try to consistently hold double teams or Z try to read and react .  Spill everything to Savage/Amos in the alley and let your freaks up front just attack a gap.  Jaire/Sullivan/King are all damn good force players; Jaire gets the rep because he's impossible to block but all three of those guys will take the fight to their WR.  

I'm not sure many are doubting Lowry's physical tools.  The production that those physical tools lead to ( or don't lead to) are the issue.

2020: 601 snaps and 10 QB pressures 

2019: 637 snaps and 5 QB pressures

2018: 697 snaps and 14 QB pressures

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cannondale said:

You want to take the best Edge and make him play DL full time, where he can't possibly sustain, and you want to take the worst Edge and play him full time at Edge ? You want a WR in the First 2 rounds dont you 

If we do swap to a 4-3 it works..

DE: Zadarius,Gary,Preston,Ramsey

DT: Clark,Keke,Lowry

LBs:  Parsons or Collins,Martin, Barnes, Summers, Burks

job done...

The counter-point on King. Unless you can make the excuse that he was poorly used (which frankly sounds like a cop-out), King is the very definition of an "average" (at best) CB. Per the numbers, he's actually less than that over his 4-year career. Can we win with that? Well, we can at least get to conference championship games with it apparently. 

We'll be talking about this move a lot during the season. Hope it works out. 

Edited by packfanfb

I don't hate or love the King signing. It's definitely better to get him cheaper than what people on here thought he would get (10 a year). If King goes back to 2019 King than this signing was a good one.  I just hope this doesn't make them so comfortable at the position because of resigning King and even Sully so they don't have to get a CB early in the draft. I know they have doubled/tripled down on positions in the past, but you just never know.

14 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

He's a bench quality player

I agree Dean a bench/low end starter. I was more arguing that considering the dead cap implications and the fact we’d only save 3.3m, he’s worth keeping. We aren’t getting someone better for 3.3 or less.

• Like 1