2021 GB Roster & Free Agents

squire12

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

That post June 1 for Lowry might be on the table if the Packers sign a DT or double up in the draft perhaps. To me, gaining cap still comes down to 2 players: Rodgers and Adams. 

The list of DT's who are free agents right now is even more underwhelming than Lowry.

Outiside of Barmore, I can't name you a DL that can eat Dean's snaps as well as Dean can.  I'm not paying him money to play somewhere else this year.  We actually need him.

3 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

The list of DT's who are free agents right now is even more underwhelming than Lowry.

Outiside of Barmore, I can't name you a DL that can eat Dean's snaps as well as Dean can.  I'm not paying him money to play somewhere else this year.  We actually need him.

Agreed, but trades are still an (unlikely) option. Wouldn't hesitate to move draft picks and cut Lowry to acquire talent on the DL this spring.

Quick, somebody compile a list of possible trade candidate DLmen

Just now, incognito_man said:

Agreed, but trades are still an (unlikely) option. Wouldn't hesitate to move draft picks and cut Lowry to acquire talent on the DL this spring.

Quick, somebody compile a list of possible trade candidate DLmen

I wouldn't move him.  I simply would not take a dead cap hit for Lowry.  He eats too many snaps.

Ideally he takes a reduced deal to stay here, but with absolutely no one behind him, I'm not sure why he would do that.

I think we try to draft a kid, and we scour the free agent scrap heap after every release.  All while keeping him on the roster.

Honest question.  If his cap number were 1/3 less than what it is now, is there any bellyaching over him?

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

I wouldn't move him.  I simply would not take a dead cap hit for Lowry.  He eats too many snaps.

Ideally he takes a reduced deal to stay here, but with absolutely no one behind him, I'm not sure why he would do that.

I think we try to draft a kid, and we scour the free agent scrap heap after every release.  All while keeping him on the roster.

Honest question.  If his cap number were 1/3 less than what it is now, is there any bellyaching over him?

it's obviously a cap issue

his money is much better spent on better talent if we can get it. If his cap hit is the difference between being able to trade for a better player (and stay under the cap), he's an obvious cut.

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

The whole "natural passing of the torch" from a declining Rodgers to Love is now gone. Packers have 2 choices: 

1. Invest in 12 for another 3+ years and have Love sit the bench his entire rookie deal (by that point, Love probably requests a trade), but either way, you've wasted that period where Love is at his cheapest.  
  2. Commit to Love and prematurely trade a HOF QB still playing at an MVP level. 

If the Packers do the former, the Love pick was a bust. 

If the Packers do the latter, they're cutting their SB window down by a year or two. 

The Packers gambled. They gambled on Rodgers not ever being 2020 Rodgers again, which frankly is weird because everyone expected him to be better in year 2 of MLF's system. Rodgers then exceeded expectations, creating this predicament. The Packers probably should have waited a few more years and then drafted the future QB, but they made that move in 2020. Now they're caught in the middle.  

Or you go option 3 and see how he plays in 21 which I think is the route they are going down. If he is an elite top 3 QB next season then they aren't going to get rid of him. They probably push everything back a year.   

He turns 38 this season, the physical side can start to really kick in any time. In which case you can go with Love in 22.  

You can still go with Love in 23 if you want. Its not great use of the rookie contract but its an option. If Rodgers is elite in 21 and 22 then the Love pick was a bit of a waste (OK a huge waste) but it may have motivated Rodgers who knows.

1 hour ago, JBURGE said:

We don't get the money until June 1 so we can't use it anyway, and if we do that it will go on next year's dead cap. Next year doesn't look great right now so I think it would make more sense to just cut him without the June 1 designation if we do. At that point what are we adding for $3m. 

Again, it depends on what the plans are with Rodgers.

If they have pretty much decided to go with Love then if they are cutting Lowry, might as well make it the June designation. Realistically with the cap looking a bit of a mess, if we go Love next year we are more likely to contend for Number 1 overall pick in the draft than a Championship so not much point worrying about 22 cap space. I would rather have a bit more money this year to go for it and write off 2022.

On 3/23/2021 at 2:17 PM, British said:

Gute has some history trading away 4ths. 

Shipped 2 to go up for Savage. Used one to get Love. 

that's my entire point. It's not a matter of "if" but "where"...

56 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

There isn't a player out there for $4.8M who can "eat snaps" like dean lowry?  You've gotta be kidding me.  He's eating snaps because everyone got hurt, not because he earned the PT

• Like 1

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

his is a conditional move, have everything ready to move-on if/when you acquire his replacement

of course, it's just asinine the number of suggestions in here that there's no way to go into the season without Dean Lowry because he "eats snaps" or "has no strengths or weaknesses".  As if there's no roadmap where dean lowry isn't on the 53 and somehow we miraculously still have 5 NFL players on the DL and are under the salary cap.

High Praise for Dean Lowry's 2020 season:
 "he plays the game of football when the coaches put him on the field - Never once attempting to dribble the ball!"
"Larger than some NFL football players"

"aware of his position as a defender"
"Attends most NFL contests he's contractually obligated to appear in"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

Ehhhhh that's a lot of money for Lewis, but hopefully it's more of a 1-year and we'll see deal. 

We're spreading his cap hit over 2 years. A way to give him a little raise over what he's made over the last 2 years while still having the same cap hit. Probably restructured or cut in the off-season.

Love it though. Big Dog is essential to this team on and off the field.

• Like 1