2021 GB Roster & Free Agents

squire12

Just now, Packerraymond said:

We're spreading his cap hit over 2 years. A way to give him a little raise over what he's made over the last 2 years while still having the same cap hit. Probably restructured or cut in the off-season.

Love it though. Big Dog is essential to this team on and off the field.

Yea I wanted him back, but thought it would look more like 2/5 or 2/6. Not a huge deal though. 

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Ehhhhh that's a lot of money for Lewis, but hopefully it's more of a 1-year and we'll see deal. 

2.1 guaranteed is all that matters. Next year can be reworked or eat a small bit of cap. We need some other pieces, but Big Dog still brings it at a high level and is a great leader. 

• Like 1

Just now, packfanfb said:

Yea I wanted him back, but thought it would look more like 2/5 or 2/6. Not a huge deal though. 

Base money is irrelevant, it could be 2/24 with 2.15 guaranteed, it's the same contract as he's signed the last two years. If he's got another year left in him in 2022, we'll probably take another year on to that and move some base salary as a bonus. 

2 hours ago, JBURGE said:

We don't get the money until June 1 so we can't use it anyway,

This part is not true.  There's no getting/receiving/spending money.  From a cap perspective this just means spreading the dead cap over 2 seasons rather than accelerating it into this year.  In exchange you get more cap relief this year, a year in which all NFL contracts are artificially depressed by the unexpected low cap.

and if we do that it will go on next year's dead cap. Next year doesn't look great right now so I think it would make more sense to just cut him without the June 1 designation if we do. At that point what are we adding for $3m. 

this is true.  I'm confident next year's cap will be a crunch, but probably less of a crunch than right now.

Adam Schefter -    Green Bay and TE Marcedes Lewis reached agreement on a two-year, $8 million deal that includes $4 million in guaranteed money, per source. Lewis will be returning for his 16th season, he’ll be 37 in May, and he still shows no signs of letting up.

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

We're spreading his cap hit over 2 years. A way to give him a little raise over what he's made over the last 2 years while still having the same cap hit. Probably restructured or cut in the off-season.

Love it though. Big Dog is essential to this team on and off the field.

Agreed.

10 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

You gotta stop drinking from the "glass is half empty" glass. You're getting no joy out of anything. Even the good things.

Edited by Leader

6 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

How many $4.8m DL are even available after June 1st?

June 1st means nothing.  THere is no june 1st deadline or starting point.  You can cut a player taking the dead money cap implications immediately, or if they have additional years on their deal you can "stretch-release" the player's dead money over 2 seasons.

June 1st cut designation is a vestigal element from a previous CBA.  Perhaps it actually has some meaning once we cross June 1st and all cuts are "stretch-release" types, but I don't even think that part is true.

8 minutes ago, Leader said:

Adam Schefter -    Green Bay and TE Marcedes Lewis reached agreement on a two-year, $8 million deal that includes $4 million in guaranteed money, per source. Lewis will be returning for his 16th season, he’ll be 37 in May, and he still shows no signs of letting up.

This is gonna be his breakout season, calling it now 

• Like 1

Just now, packfanfb said:

I'll like it more if it's actually $2.1 guaranteed and not $4m.

It's chickenfeed and (odd as it may seem) Lewis is an important part of the team.
I'm glad they got him back. I hope he can still bring it.

We're not doing bad in FA given constraints. We need to get the draft right.