2021 GB Roster & Free Agents

squire12

I will be interested to see what Darren Fells gets in FA. He's essentially the same kind of player as Lewis but is a couple of years younger. I wondered if the Packers might look to get a slightly younger version of Lewis but obviously that didn't turn out to be the case.

7 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

June 1st means nothing.  THere is no june 1st deadline or starting point.  You can cut a player taking the dead money cap implications immediately, or if they have additional years on their deal you can "stretch-release" the player's dead money over 2 seasons.

June 1st cut designation is a vestigal element from a previous CBA.  Perhaps it actually has some meaning once we cross June 1st and all cuts are "stretch-release" types, but I don't even think that part is true.

Everywhere I read said that, while you could *cut* those types of players at the beginning of free agency (so the players could shop for contracts), the money would still not come off the team’s cap until June 1st. The idea of the designation was not to help teams get cap space earlier in the free agency, but to let those players find another contract in the heart of free agency instead of waiting until the summer when the market will be barren. 

this describes the function that way towards the end of the article:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/ny-nfl-salary-cap-20210220-vzny3dynmnd3nkafna5diavvfy-story.html%3FoutputType%3Damp

so it would only help a team insofar as they wouldn’t need to preserve any unspent cap space in March for margin or in-season emergencies or draft picks. They could spend right up to the last nickel, knowing that they’d have extra cap space coming to them in June that they could later use for their margin and to sign picks. 

42 minutes ago, Leader said:

It's chickenfeed and (odd as it may seem) Lewis is an important part of the team.
I'm glad they got him back. I hope he can still bring it.

We're not doing bad in FA given constraints. We need to get the draft right.

By constraints we have basically ignored the cap this year, spent pretty much whatever we want on credit card to worry about next year.

This is the first one that's really puzzled me. I like him but can't Dafney do what he does reasonably well. When your living on debt which is what we are doing, not sure he was essential, guess the cap hit is split across the two years but that's even more pressure on the 22 cap.

Half wondering if Gute is planning out after this season or maybe they are planning a tank year in 22 with Love. 

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:
4 hours ago, JBURGE said:

We don't get the money until June 1 so we can't use it anyway,

This part is not true.  There's no getting/receiving/spending money.  From a cap perspective this just means spreading the dead cap over 2 seasons rather than accelerating it into this year.  In exchange you get more cap relief this year, a year in which all NFL contracts are artificially depressed by the unexpected low cap.

What I am saying is if we cut Lowry and designate him as a post June 1 cut, he will still count on the books until June 1 for his original amount. Then at June 1st, his cap hit drops. So if we designate him a post June 1, we can not use that freed cap until June 1. 

• Like 1

The Big Dwag signing was Rodgers as a GM move. He told the Packers he wanted him back and to pay him well and they followed. Rodgers is too zen now to actually care about money. You watch he'll drop his salary for this season and next, he just wants love, harmony and to play with his besties!!! 

3 hours ago, skibrett15 said:
4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I wouldn't move him.  I simply would not take a dead cap hit for Lowry.  He eats too many snaps.

There isn't a player out there for $4.8M who can "eat snaps" like dean lowry?  You've gotta be kidding me.  He's eating snaps because everyone got hurt, not because he earned the PT

Agreed.  The idea that Lowry is valuable simply because he " eats so many snaps".

Brett Hundley also "ate a lot of snaps" .

Should have kept him as well and gave him an extension

2 hours ago, JBURGE said:

What I am saying is if we cut Lowry and designate him as a post June 1 cut, he will still count on the books until June 1 for his original amount. Then at June 1st, his cap hit drops. So if we designate him a post June 1, we can not use that freed cap until June 1. 

This is correct 

I am still perplexed by the lack of restructure on the Rodgers contract, especially the $6.8M roster bonus.   That was a time sensitive piece and would have given GB a few more dollars to play with in the FA process.  Would have cleared $4.5M in space for 2021.    That could have allowed a different tier of FA pursuit..... Kevin King to Kyle Fuller

49 minutes ago, squire12 said:

I am still perplexed by the lack of restructure on the Rodgers contract, especially the $6.8M roster bonus.   That was a time sensitive piece and would have given GB a few more dollars to play with in the FA process.  Would have cleared $4.5M in space for 2021.    That could have allowed a different tier of FA pursuit..... Kevin King to Kyle Fuller

This is the only thing that gives me hope that a bigger move with his contract is coming. Otherwise it would be idiotic not to simply convert his roster bonus and at least save that easy $4.5m. 

33 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

If the Packers are truly in the "just keep our own guys" mode then I hope they resign Snacks. Still think he's got something left and would be a great stop gap for the "other big" role on the DL. 

That one scares me at this point. He was offered and didn't want to come here more than once, and then finally took some short term cash and barely played. Couldn't get on the field in Seattle either. Dare I say he's grabbing cash at this point

Edited by cannondale