2021 GB Roster & Free Agents

squire12

2 hours ago, Leader said:

Or he plays well and we keep him.

No, if he's on the roster in 2022 the contract voids.  Only way to keep him would be to do a new deal.  

There is no "option", it simply voids.  This pushes the dead money and cap hit into future years, so his $4.75M cap hit this year is stretched over 2 years instead.

1 minute ago, craig said:

Thanks, Packfan.  How do you factor in what was mentioned about  "$200K per-game active roster bonus..."    How does that factor in?  IN my brain that would seem like a potential 16 games x $0.2 = $3.2.  Where might that $3.2 count in?  

That's just the terminology. It's $200k total but is paid on a "per-game" basis. So, what it really is saying is that King gets $12,500 "per game" he is active. If he's active all 16 games, that's $200,000. 

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

....Don't think of a $200k per game roster bonus as $200k "per game." That's paid as a 1/16th installment over the season. In other words, the "total" amount is $200k, not $200k x 16 games....

Thanks!  I'd been thinking $200k x 16 = $3.2, and trying to figure out how that worked out with the other figures!  

Heh heh, to some degree I'd almost think a true $0.2/game might actually make pretty good sense for a player whose availability is so central to his potential value or lack thereof.   

42 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

i've never seen this vehicle before where a contract voids if he's on the roster after a certain date

that's some brilliant accounting work ha. I wonder what team first used that trick.

It's been kind of the theme to this offseason, see Hill, Taysom and his "5 year 140M Contract" which voids and is actually a 1 year 13M deal.

55 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

i've never seen this vehicle before where a contract voids if he's on the roster after a certain date

that's some brilliant accounting work ha. I wonder what team first used that trick.

Who does this benefit and what is the motivation?  Obviously the voidable years defer the cap hit for the Packers.  But voiding the contract 22 days early, is that King's agent, trying to motivate the Packers to get him resigned next February before the deal voids and they get stuck with the dead cap hit?  I don't get it....

4 minutes ago, craig said:

Who does this benefit and what is the motivation?  Obviously the voidable years defer the cap hit for the Packers.  But voiding the contract 22 days early, is that King's agent, trying to motivate the Packers to get him resigned next February before the deal voids and they get stuck with the dead cap hit?  I don't get it....

I wouldn't look too hard at it.  Kevin King and his agent were able to secure a 1 year contract worth up to 6M.  How the packers decide to structure that from a cap perspective is kind of up to them.

Edited by skibrett15

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

No, if he's on the roster in 2022 the contract voids.  Only way to keep him would be to do a new deal.  There is no "option", it simply voids.  This pushes the dead money and cap hit into future years, so his $4.75M cap hit this year is stretched over 2 years instead.

I wasnt referring to his current contract....i.e. "we keep him."

If he plays well, perhaps we sign him up for longer.

8 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

when do the rooks contracts HAVE TO hit the books?

There's obviously a few moves to be made with Extending Davante to lower his cap hit, releasing Dean Lowry, potentially extending Z.

Rookies should be when they sign their contract right?  So they can't come to camp without it?  Not sure about rookie camp and whether they can/should participate without a contract.

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

There's obviously a few moves to be made with Extending Davante to lower his cap hit, releasing Dean Lowry, potentially extending Z.

Rookies should be when they sign their contract right?  So they can't come to camp without it?  Not sure about rookie camp and whether they can/should participate without a contract.

yeah that's what I'm curious about. Would be great if we can make a draft-day trade for a DL...