2021 GB Roster & Free Agents

squire12

1 hour ago, TransientTexan said:

Right now, Spotrac is showing them 23.8m over the cap for 2022, with only 30 players on the roster. This assumes a league cap of 192.5m. If you add filler-contracts to get up to 51 players, that adds another 16.4m (780k per, judging by who is making this year's threshold). Plus 2m differential for 2022 draft picks. 

So we're starting out at -42.2m cap space. 2021 Rollover will probably be peanuts. Cutting P.Smith and Lowry brings us up to -25.5m space. This number assumes D.Adams is not re-signed. 

Further opportunities for savings:
A.Rodgers: 39.9m cap hit (17.2m dead)= trading clears 22.7m. 2yr extension probably clears maybe 15m in 2022.
Z.Smith: 27.9m cap hit (12.1m dead)= cut/trade clears 15.0m. Extension clears maybe 9m.
A.Amos: 11.4m cap hit (2.8m dead)= cut/trade clears 7.8m. Extension clears maybe 3.9m. 
B.Turner: 9.0m cap hit (4.9m dead)= cut/trade clears 3.3m. Extension clears maybe 2.7m.  

Possible Restructures:
K.Clark: currently 14.95m in base-salary/roster-bonus. if spread over remainder of deal, clears 9.0m in 2022.
D.Bak: 13.20m in base-salary/roster-bonus. if spread over remainder of deal, clears 7.8m in 2022.

J.Alexander: currently 13.29m cap hit (5th yr option). could be reduced if extended. Using Ramsey's deal as a baseline, I'm guessing we could drop Alexander's 2022 hit by 5m.

So theoretically, I think we could scrape-by without doing anything with Rodgers' deal, but we'd have to do something with basically all the other contracts listed above. Or let D.Adams walk. 

Thanks. Lots of guys getting old and expensive quickly. I'd be pretty sour if we start backloading contracts of guys on their third contract (Bakh).

Is it fair to conclude, based on those numbers, that either Adams or Rodgers will be gone in 2022?

1 minute ago, pgwingman said:

Thanks. Lots of guys getting old and expensive quickly. I'd be pretty sour if we start backloading contracts of guys on their third contract (Bakh).

Is it fair to conclude, based on those numbers, that either Adams or Rodgers will be gone in 2022?

Why wouldn't you go all in on 2021 and 2022?  backloading older gentlemen is the name of the game now.  We're in the endgame.

Just now, skibrett15 said:

Why wouldn't you go all in on 2021 and 2022?  backloading older gentlemen is the name of the game now.  We're in the endgame.

To be honest, I'm in complete agreement. If I were Gute, I would have rode Rodgers until the bitter end, which could still be 5 years away. 

But at this point, I'm just trying to follow his logic and see what the next move is. Drafting Love, with the cap situation outline above, seems like a guarantee to move on from Rodgers. It seems insane to think we'll be paying Rodgers $17.2 just to play against him, but that's the bed we've made and now we have to lie in it.

The only thing I know for sure is that Gute would be committing career suicide if he traded Rodgers for a 1st and Love turned out to be Kizer. It's the new age of Rosens and Darnolds and Tuas.  And contracts are being ripped up annually. A lot of time between now and 2022

Edited by cannondale
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

But at this point, I'm just trying to follow his logic and see what the next move is. Drafting Love, with the cap situation outline above, seems like a guarantee to move on from Rodgers. It seems insane to think we'll be paying Rodgers $17.2 just to play against him, but that's the bed we've made and now we have to lie in it.

I just view Love as a hedge.  Keeping Rodgers until the wheels fall off or he retires is the only move at this point.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

not necessarily. It will just probably require 1 of 3 things: 

1. extending Rodgers, to lower his cap hit

2. Cutting/trading all those other old guys (Smith/Amos/Turner) instead of extending them.

3. The league cap being set at a much higher number.

idk, if it's been mentioned already, but it looks like some of Kevin King's contract is incentive-based. Up to $1m in NLTBE incentives. so I guess it's more like 1yr, $5m deal to start with. He gets $12.5k per game active, for a total of $200k if he is active 16 games. The rest of the incentives must be performance-based, though I can't find it listed anywhere what those incentives are. 

https://twitter.com/RobDemovsky/status/1375481366020829187

20 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I think we keep Rodgers until Love proves that he can play.  Don't restructure Rodgers, we have him under contract until 2023, so why make it more difficult to move on should Love show that he can play? 

So then are we done with "FA"? I don't hate the logic, I just hate the game...

• Like 1