2021 GB Roster & Free Agents

squire12

21 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Packers may have to go all 1999 again and draft 3 CBs lol. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen.  As for Preston Smith .. I'd like to see a reworking of his deal.  He's not a bad player .. just a player that tends to run hot and cold from year to year.  He always seems to be durable and available to play, and his career stats hint that 2021 will be a turnaround year for him.  He's an every other year guy according to is stats.  I'd like to find a way to keep him on board.  The rest of those guys can go, but I would probably hang on to Sullivan for cheap.  

3 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen.  As for Preston Smith .. I'd like to see a reworking of his deal.  He's not a bad player .. just a player that tends to run hot and cold from year to year.  He always seems to be durable and available to play, and his career stats hint that 2021 will be a turnaround year for him.  He's an every other year guy according to is stats.  I'd like to find a way to keep him on board.  The rest of those guys can go, but I would probably hang on to Sullivan for cheap.  

Yea, I'm not pushing Preston out the door unless we just cannot get around it financially. Never a good idea to let go of a pass rusher, even one as inconsistent as him. 

20 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

If Kirksey, Preston and Lowry are cut, would that increase our chances any of signing Linsley or Jones more?  King would only get a prove it deal for me. 

I don't think they're going to go after Linsley unless his market value turns out to be less than expected. I think cutting or restructuring the others, plus the cap maybe being more than expected may open up the door to signing Jones. Probably depends on whether they can agree on guaranteed money. 

So the Packers are an estimated $32m over the cap, if the cap was $176m. Assuming it does in fact go up to like $185m, which I've read is now the expectation, that takes us down to about $23m. 

Restructuring Rodgers and Z alone I believe would get us to that mark. From there, it would just depend on how much cap we want to clear to allow us to make other moves, etc. 

Edited by packfanfb

57 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

If Kirksey, Preston and Lowry are cut, would that increase our chances any of signing Linsley or Jones more?  King would only get a prove it deal for me. 

I really think we're resigning Jones if his side will meet us in the middle somewhere.  I think both sides want to stay together.  It's just all contract posturing right now, and will get resolved at some point.

3 hours ago, packfanfb said:

So the Packers are an estimated $32m over the cap, if the cap was $176m. Assuming it does in fact go up to like $185m, which I've read is now the expectation, that takes us down to about $23m. 

Restructuring Rodgers and Z alone I believe would get us to that mark. From there, it would just depend on how much cap we want to clear to allow us to make other moves, etc. 

I think the only way Rodgers allows his contract to be restructured to lower his cap is if his favorite wide receiver is re-signed.  He loves Tae. With that you might get more cap relief.

1 hour ago, minnypackerfan said:

I think the only way Rodgers allows his contract to be restructured to lower his cap is if his favorite wide receiver is re-signed.  He loves Tae. With that you might get more cap relief.

Tae isn't going ANYWHERE regardless of what 12 does or doesn't want.  

IMO if 12 restructures/ extends it's going to be so he can get some security.  It's pretty evident by his comments over the last 8 months that he's not at all secure with position in Green Bay's future.  

On 2/3/2021 at 1:08 PM, {Family Ghost} said:

What are we thinking .. 3.5 mil per or so?

Latavius Murray signed a 4 year 14.4 million deal with 7.2 guaranteed.  He was a little older when he signed that deal but one could argue that he was a superior talent.  

I'd personally like to see him around the Mike Davis area or less.  That's around 3M per year.  

• Like 1

Man, if it's Williams at $3-4M vs. Jones at $10-12M, I don't know how you make an argument for Jones. He's obviously the superior talent and brings a playmaking element that Williams lacks, but he's also way less durable and worse in other areas like ball security and pass pro. Certainly not worth 3x more, IMO.

5 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

Man, if it's Williams at $3-4M vs. Jones at $10-12M, I don't know how you make an argument for Jones. He's obviously the superior talent and brings a playmaking element that Williams lacks, but he's also way less durable and worse in other areas like ball security and pass pro. Certainly not worth 3x more, IMO.

Williams is very "meh" to me either way. The guy doesn't move the needle. We'll win the same amount of games with or without Williams. If the Packers don't want to pay Jones, I get it, but I wouldn't resign Williams either. Go with Dillon and young guy as your backs. Frankly, maybe Dexter takes a step in year 3. I'd rather spend that extra $3-4 million we're talking about for Williams towards adding a WR, CB or IDL. 

1 hour ago, SSG said:

Tae isn't going ANYWHERE regardless of what 12 does or doesn't want.  

IMO if 12 restructures/ extends it's going to be so he can get some security.  It's pretty evident by his comments over the last 8 months that he's not at all secure with position in Green Bay's future.  

Agree that security is the main driver, but maybe part of the security is keeping players around that Aaron wants....Tae would be one of those guys and his contract expires at the end of next year.  His cap number is $16.787 million next year and if we gave Rodgers the security he wants and part of that security would be keeping Tae, you may be able to negotiate a more slightly more favorable deal cap wise next year with both him and Tae.  Then take that extra cap savings and go sign a free agent or two.  Can't hurt.

21 hours ago, SSG said:

Latavius Murray signed a 4 year 14.4 million deal with 7.2 guaranteed.  He was a little older when he signed that deal but one could argue that he was a superior talent.  

I'd personally like to see him around the Mike Davis area or less.  That's around 3M per year.  

Murray is the high point in terms of backup RBs.  But given that Sean Payton prefers to not overload Alvin Kamara, he's a "starting" RB even if he isn't starting.