2021 GB Roster & Free Agents

squire12

6 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

So then are we done with "FA"? I don't hate the logic, I just hate the game...

I think so.  At least until the draft is complete and we get to trying to build a playable roster.  That isn't super fun.  I think it is the best move to see how the draft plays out and then fix any remaining holes with the FAs that are left.  We still have a very good team.  

Now watch them do some wizardry and move all kinds of money and sign Geno Atkins, Larry Fitzgerald, and Russell Okung before I wake up tomorrow.  :D 

• Like 1

This is the year to sort out Davante's deal and gain some space to sign a player, draft class, in year signing, rollover etc. There was chatter that the Packers and Adams were discussing an extension and it would be a couple of weeks away. I'm hoping something get announced in the coming days...

If you can help it, you are smart not to do anything with Rodgers deal this year. Next year Rodgers has a cap hit of almost $40m but a much more reasonable dead cap hit of $17m which allow you to move off him.  The way his contract is structured prevents you from doing anything but extending him this season and there is no real need to touch his deal this year. I recall when he signed his new deal even Rodgers acknowledged it is really a three year extension to his current deal.

Next year is the year

IF he falls off a cliff this season or plays like he did in 2018/19, or gets injured and we see Love light it up, then you can trade him AND we'll gain cap to sing some FA's and do things.

IF he carries on playing like an MVP in 2022 you extend his current contract (which is meant to end in 2023) by a year or two and give him a nice signing bonus and thereby reduce his 2022 cap hit AND then we got room to sign some FA's and do things.

After this season he is in essence playing on a two year deal that pays out $68m with only $11.5m guaranteed and earning of only(WTF) £28m in 2023 with almost no guarantees. If he is playing great adding years giving him security and a decent signing bonus becomes the obvious path. I could see in essence an extension which pay him $160m for the 2022 season to the end of the 2025, giving him a $40m average per year like the top paid QBs with $70m guaranteed. With a possible cut in 2024 with a dead cap hit of $17.5m and that links with the 5th year option for Love which will be around $25m. In which case we lost the chance to use Love as a 'cheap QB.'

You just got see Love not as the heir apparent but an expensive (draft capital wise) insurance policy and leverage tool to use against Rodgers. If there was no Love I'm guessing Rodgers would be throwing his toys out of the pram this offseason demanding a new deal as the MVP. He knows he has to prove himself again this season if he wants more dough. If Rodgers keeps playing well, Love either signs a cheapish extension deal, in the hope he does take over, or he gets traded. Either way he did his job which was insurance and leverage. When you think how many 1st rounders San Fran just through at Miami to get their QB, our investment to keep our QB on his toes is cheap. 

• Like 4

Is there anything we do cap wise other than sorting out Rodgers, extending Adams ?   

We could well move on from Aaron,  Adams and Z after this season. I think restructuring Z rather than extending him was significant. The cap is a complete mess in 22 as things stand. If we can then we might as well add more void years somewhere or something so we don't need to extend Adams.  

3 hours ago, mikemike778 said:

Is there anything we do cap wise other than sorting out Rodgers, extending Adams ?   

We could well move on from Aaron,  Adams and Z after this season. I think restructuring Z rather than extending him was significant. The cap is a complete mess in 22 as things stand. If we can then we might as well add more void years somewhere or something so we don't need to extend Adams.  

Not a lot.  If for some reason we decide we NEED cap space, you can get some by rescinding the offers to Tonyan and Sullivan.  Or you could cut Lowry, MVS, or Patrick.  I don't like any of those ideas.  Then we have guys that are on the higher end of vet minimum like Kaivarae Russell and Bronson Kafusi.  They will probably be cut, giving us almost a million back.  But when they are replaced we also have to count the next highest of the top 51 contracts, so the net is really only like 300k.  

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/cap/

8 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I think so.  At least until the draft is complete and we get to trying to build a playable roster.  That isn't super fun.  I think it is the best move to see how the draft plays out and then fix any remaining holes with the FAs that are left.  We still have a very good team.  

Now watch them do some wizardry and move all kinds of money and sign Geno Atkins, Larry Fitzgerald, and Russell Okung before I wake up tomorrow.  :D 

Im fine with waiting until post-draft at CB, WR and OL because the draft is pretty deep there. The DL class sucks. Packers still need a move there regardless.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Not a lot.  If for some reason we decide we NEED cap space, you can get some by rescinding the offers to Tonyan and Sullivan.  Or you could cut Lowry, MVS, or Patrick.  I don't like any of those ideas.  Then we have guys that are on the higher end of vet minimum like Kaivarae Russell and Bronson Kafusi.  They will probably be cut, giving us almost a million back.  But when they are replaced we also have to count the next highest of the top 51 contracts, so the net is really only like 300k.  

That's not great.

I think a Rodgers restructure makes a lot more sense than an Adams extention now.

Most of the moves we have made have been lumping cap hits into 2022. We can restructure Rodgers to help this year and then cut him next year because who cares about 2022. At this point I would rather just take the hit in one year and keep the 2023 cap clean.

Realistically 2022 is close to a write off now anyway particularly if Love takes over but we would hope to contend in 2023. If we extend Adams to lower his 21 cap hit then by the time 23 comes round he will be old, may well be even more injury prone and could well have what looks like a very bad contract (particularly if there low cap hits in 21 and 22).  Same goes with Z, if we extend him that contract that contract could well look bad by 23. 

So restructure Rodgers and then cut him and Z next year and let Adams walk. Fresh start.

If Rodgers plays MVP level football again next year then you still probably have the flexibility to try one more year of kicking the cap as far as it will go to have one last go in 22 before gutting the roster in 23

Edited by mikemike778

3 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

And yeah agree the options you mention don't really help this season which is pretty much the be all and end all... 

It probably has to be Adams extention or Rodgers restructure.  And the Rodgers move wouldn't commit to anything new beyond 22 given that if he is cut/traded next year it accelerates to 22.

1 hour ago, mikemike778 said:

And yeah agree the options you mention don't really help this season which is pretty much the be all and end all... 

It probably has to be Adams extention or Rodgers restructure.  And the Rodgers move wouldn't commit to anything new beyond 22 given that if he is cut/traded next year it accelerates to 22.

I think it has a lot to do with how you feel about Jordan Love.  We had no preseason or open practices to watch like we normally would.  He also was behind Tim Boyle, which looks negative, but Tim Boyle threw zero passes last season and had a full year with LaFleur.  So it is pretty easy from our perspective to not have much confidence in Love.  On the other hand, if he comes to camp with his Superman cape on and lights up preseason, then makes a couple of starts because Aaron Rodgers got injured the Packers are 14-0 and are giving Love some PT and he does well, not messing with Rodgers' contract allows the team to move on to Love with fewer strings attached.  If Love stinks (yeah, yeah!), do whatever to win while Rodgers is still capable. 

What I absolutely do not want to see is Jordan Love is a good player, but the Packers are in cap hell so the team is not any good, but just good enough to be picking in the 12-20 range every year.

[edit] I also think they should do what it takes to keep Adams.  I don't know how, or what, but do it.

Edited by ThatJerkDave

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Im fine with waiting until post-draft at CB, WR and OL because the draft is pretty deep there. The DL class sucks. Packers still need a move there regardless.

That is what is tough for me.  It is going to be difficult to get this DL where we want it.

I will also add a thought to ponder.  WR isn't that big of a need.  We don't have any WRs for 2022, yet.  But does a 2022 WR group of:  Davante-MVS-2nd round rookie-mid tier FA vet-UDFA look that bad? (If you don't like MVS, pick Lazard or Funchess, or St. Brown being re-signed)

2 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

That is what is tough for me.  It is going to be difficult to get this DL where we want it.

I will also add a thought to ponder.  WR isn't that big of a need.  We don't have any WRs for 2022, yet.  But does a 2022 WR group of:  Davante-MVS-2nd round rookie-mid tier FA vet-UDFA look that bad? (If you don't like MVS, pick Lazard or Funchess, or St. Brown being re-signed)

I'm pretty okay with WR because I actually think Funchess is going to contribute, but I want a top 100 pick there. 

My top 5 would be Adams, MVS, Lazard, Funchess and 2nd/3rd rd pick. I'm saying bye to St. Brown and Taylor too. My No. 6 guy would be an Ervin type player who can return kicks too.

6 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I think it has a lot to do with how you feel about Jordan Love.  We had no preseason or open practices to watch like we normally would.  He also was behind Tim Boyle, which looks negative, but Tim Boyle threw zero passes last season and had a full year with LaFleur.  So it is pretty easy from our perspective to not have much confidence in Love.  On the other hand, if he comes to camp with his Superman cape on and lights up preseason, then makes a couple of starts because Aaron Rodgers got injured the Packers are 14-0 and are giving Love some PT and he does well, not messing with Rodgers' contract allows the team to move on to Love with fewer strings attached.  If Love stinks (yeah, yeah!), do whatever to win while Rodgers is still capable. 

What I absolutely do not want to see is Jordan Love is a good player, but the Packers are in cap hell so the team is not any good, but just good enough to be picking in the 12-20 range every year.

hey should do what it takes to keep Adams.  I don't know how, or what, but do it.

I think that's the thing. I am OK with cap hell for a year but don't want to prolong it.  Extending Adams (with probably low cap hits for 21 and 22 then escalating to a huge figure) just doesn't seem a good idea if we aren't competing in 22. If Rodgers is still here and we are competing then yes but otherwise its best to let him walk.

So taking your medicine in 22 so you go into 23 with a clean cap and nice draft position works for me. And if Love is terrible you probably get an early pick in the draft to have another go.

On 3/27/2021 at 3:04 AM, ThatJerkDave said:

Ill never forget I was cooking breakfast with my lady at the time when my phone went off that we signed Peppers... Obviously numbers and situations apply but I always hold out hope for a surprise...