2021 GB Roster & Free Agents

squire12

8 hours ago, FAH1223 said:

Yeah .. not a big fan of letting all of these DT's slip by.  The Packers absolutely have to improve next to Clark.  Also, not real thrilled with bringing King back .. wanted to see an upgrade there and also one over Sullivan.  Top Qb's will feast on those jokers.

44 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

who tf is Michael Rodney 

Just a guy with an opinion. No different than you, me and everyone else here. Problem is most people don't like him because he doesn't kiss our GM's *** with every move/non-move he makes. I don't agree with a lot of his takes, but it's refreshing not to have to read CheeseheadTV and McCarren fluff pieces all the time. 

Edited by packfanfb

50 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

A guy with dumb takes who for some reason gets posted on this forum.

Why you say that? Again, there's reason to disagree with some of his takes, but have you ever actually read his content on player analysis, etc? It's pretty reasonable stuff. He at least offers actual player analysis and more in-depth review of FAs, draft prospects than a lot of the talking-head know-nothings. You may disagree with his conclusions but he offers input you don't get from a lot of the other Twitter people who cover the Packers. 

What people, who actually do player analysis/film review, do you find worthy of sharing on here? Herman? Fennell? 

17 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Why you say that? Again, there's reason to disagree with some of his takes, but have you ever actually read his content on player analysis, etc? It's pretty reasonable stuff. He at least offers actual player analysis and more in-depth review of FAs, draft prospects than a lot of the talking-head know-nothings. You may disagree with his conclusions but he offers input you don't get from a lot of the other Twitter people who cover the Packers. 

What people, who actually do player analysis/film review, do you find worthy of sharing on here? Herman? Fennell? 

He's completely a splash guy, comments from the hip and doesn't think before he tweets. The Preston takes were some of the worst this offseason. That we gave up Aaron Jones and committed to Preston, when actually we were paying Preston 500k more than we would've by cutting him, and that move helped us eventually keep Jones.

He hated the ST coach hire for no real reason, I'm sure he hated King coming back, probably hates every FA that passes that we don't sign. Total splash guy. Would rather we do splashy stuff for him to talk about than build a good team.

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Just a guy with an opinion. No different than you, me and everyone else here. Problem is most people don't like him because he doesn't kiss our GM's *** with every move/non-move he makes. I don't agree with a lot of his takes, but it's refreshing not to have to read CheeseheadTV and McCarren fluff pieces all the time. 

That’s why I read him.

Rodney has been writing on the Packers for over 25 years. No one’s perfect but I like his perspective and the guy does watch film. 

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

He's completely a splash guy, comments from the hip and doesn't think before he tweets. The Preston takes were some of the worst this offseason. That we gave up Aaron Jones and committed to Preston, when actually we were paying Preston 500k more than we would've by cutting him, and that move helped us eventually keep Jones.

He hated the ST coach hire for no real reason, I'm sure he hated King coming back, probably hates every FA that passes that we don't sign. Total splash guy. Would rather we do splashy stuff for him to talk about than build a good team.

Meh, I think you need to look closer (if you care too, up to you). You're right about the Preston takes. I didn't agree there and he was overplaying the "Preston is lazy" mantra as a reason to dump him. He actually pretty much defended the King signing if you've read any of his latest posts about that. 

I think he took the position he did on Drayton simply because Drayton has been here through the last 2 STs who sucked. So the thought is simply what can Drayton offer there that apparently he couldn't at least impress upon Zook/Mennega as an assistant? Not totally unreasonable logic. The guy has been "part of the suck" and now he's the leader of the platoon. Maybe he turns it around or maybe he's just part 3 of the "suck." Can't blame Rodney, or anyone else, for opining "hey, maybe we should look outside the organization" to fix STs. 

I think you're using some hyperbole regarding him hating on every move/non-move. The only time I see Rodney really pounding the table for guys are, frankly, the same people a lot of us pound the table for--bargain gets who can improve your team. Who wouldn't question passing on bargain FA CBs like Coleman and King (who signed for under $3m) when we're coming into a season with very weak depth at the CB position and new DC who just stressed how important the star-nickel position is on the team? Okay, we have Sullivan, so what? He's a decent player who too had a poor game against Tampa -- he couldn't stick with Godwin to save his life. Even with Sully, maybe it would have been smart to, i don't know, sign a guy like Coleman or King, two proven nickel guys -- both who signed for a ham sandwich elsewhere. The same can be said for Reed just now, signing with the Chiefs for the same amount of money we're paying Dean Lowry -- on a DL we've been saying has needed help for over 3 years. Guy seems like a perfect fit, a dream scenario where the Seahawks just cut him. Did we even make a call? Maybe, but instead he's going to a contending team, just not us. 

I like Rodney's stuff about finding bargain FAs who can help your team, because in part, I agree with him whole-heartedly that the Ron Wolf way of doing business, i.e. filling roster holes with veteran, bargain players, is the way to win in this league. In fact, Rodney just did a post about how a simple, small signing like Marcedes Lewis, has been vital to the Packers' success over the last few years. That's a perfect example. This team needs more Lewis-type moves. They could use one at CB, one at DL, and probably even one at ILB and WR. But, for whatever reason, Gute won't do it, and that's the Tedness in him. Ted was Mr. UDFA at filling the same holes that Ron Wolf would fill with guys like Mike Pryor, Don Beebe and Seth Joyner, to name a few. Gute made a few of those moves late last year (adding Tramon, Veldheer and Snacks) and I loved him for it. But how about not waiting until January to make those types of additions? 

• Like 2

So, other than our upcoming rookie group, the Packers are basically looking at the EXACT same team other than: 

1. Corey Linsley
  2. Jamaal Williams
  3. Montravius Adams
  4. Raven Greene
  5. Tyler Ervin
  6. Will Redmond
  7. Lane Taylor

Plus a few other guys who were only with the team part of the year last season.

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

So, other than our upcoming rookie group, the Packers are basically looking at the EXACT same team other than: 

1. Corey Linsley
  2. Jamaal Williams
  3. Montravius Adams
  4. Raven Greene
  5. Tyler Ervin
  6. Will Redmond
  7. Lane Taylor

Plus a few other guys who were only with the team part of the year last season.

people know GIF

• Like 1