2021 GB Roster & Free Agents

squire12

3 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Wagner still being a free agent shows that he should not have been a higher priority than King.

Wagner is a guy you bring in after the draft and maybe after camp.  Just like Veldheer.  Hopefully like Snacks.  Insurance.

We can bag on King all day long, but he's a starting corner in this league and he's still young.  

Agree. Wagner's been talking about retiring. Regardless, #2 CB ranks higher on my list. Unless some "next man up" rotation was presumed....which doesnt appear to be the case. 

8 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Wagner still being a free agent shows that he should not have been a higher priority than King.

That's not really how FA works.

Wagner >>> King at their respective jobs

This is a bad offseason for Gute IMO, and I think it will show on the field later this season.

30 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

This is a bad offseason for Gute IMO, and I think it will show on the field later this season.

Dont know how serious he is....but Wagner's talking about retiring.

Maybe he plans to do it - or maybe he's not in the mood quite yet to re-upping for another year.

Meanwhile we had a gapping hole at #2 CB.

46 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Think Wagner was overrated here personally.  This team does a lot to help their tackles, between copious amounts of motion, good play action calls, and just the existence of Marcedes Lewis.  Wagner isn't bad at all, but he was pretty stop-gappy against good EDGE play and 6'6" & being over 30 is a combo that does not age well on the line.  

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

The draft can dramatically influence your season. The Bucs probably don't win the Super Bowl without Tristan Wirfs. Winfield was also a huge part of their defense as a rookie. Even Tyler Johnson made some huge plays in their playoff run (huge catch against NO in the divisional round, drawing the flag on King in our game). 

I understand that . I hope we do have that impact rookie. I’m just saying it isn’t the be all , end all for this team. Talent wise they’re there. We just gotta preform when the lights shine the brightest. 

24 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

Think Wagner was overrated here personally.  This team does a lot to help their tackles, between copious amounts of motion, good play action calls, and just the existence of Marcedes Lewis.  Wagner isn't bad at all, but he was pretty stop-gappy against good EDGE play and 6'6" & being over 30 is a combo that does not age well on the line.  

right now our OT depth is: Billy Turner, Yosh Nijman

Hopefully Bakh is ready to go day 1, history says it's probable, but those are our starting OTs in pre-season right now.

(I also think that Wagner is a better OT than King is a CB)

Edited by incognito_man

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Wagner was a backup, older right tackle.

King was a starting corner who was young.

I'm not going to argue that Wagner didn't play at a high level last year.  Nor am I going to argue where King played.

What I will argue is free agent value.  Wagner is an example of a guy that you can wait on, or have a handshake deal with, to bring him back right before camp, or even in week one.  Wagner, Snacks, Veldheer.  Those all fit that mold for me.

King isn't one of those guys, because someone was going to take him early in free agency because of youth and perceived upside.

I think Gute has nailed the off-season.  Clark, Bakh, Jones, Linsley and King were free agents.  He got 4 out of 5, while having his cap shrink.

I'm not sure that Ball has totally nailed it, though.  Seems like we left money on the table with Z, Adams and Rodgers.  Money that could have brought us a new player or two.  I'm sure there is a plan there.  About the only one that comes to my mind is this....we pushed a lot of money forward.  A Rodgers and Z extension may remedy that situation next year.  Is there another reason for not extending Z, or Rodgers?  (And the Adams one still needs to happen.)

55 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Hopefully Bakh is ready to go day 1, history says it's probable, but those are our starting OTs in pre-season right now.

I'm a blind hopeful optimist, just like I was back in 7th grade.  But wouldn't it be cool if Nijman turned out to actually be a capable NFL player?  What if the motion and play-calling and TE help enabled him to be perfectly functional and adequate at RT?  Or even actually flat-out good?  Without even costing a 1st or 2nd round draft choice?  Wouldn't that be awesome?  Yosh Nijman, the next Mark Tauscher!  I know, remotely unlikely.  But sometimes those remotely improbable hits are the things that click for teams who win super bowls.  Shields and Tramon, who'd have guess two UDFA's would be stud corners?  Cullen Jenkins?  Donald Driver?  Getting some stunning wins from some late round guys or UDFA's is kind of the stuff of championships.  Why not Yosh?  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

No doubt. That was my thought. But the second part of the stop gap idea would be actually drafting someone that he stop gapped for

Edited by cannondale

3 hours ago, incognito_man said:

(I also think that Wagner is a better OT than King is a CB)

That is some yucky depth, Jenkins would probably be the other Tackle if that happened. Hopefully we sign a depth guy and draft 2-3 OL. 

25 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

That is some yucky depth, Jenkins would probably be the other Tackle if that happened. Hopefully we sign a depth guy and draft 2-3 OL. 

Other than missing 1 guy we don't know what Nijman is. Guy has all the tools and a coach who is quite highly touted, around here at least. So you have the Elgton glass break a toolsy guy going into year 3 and, I assume, a T in the draft. 

Wow, Murphy’s non-commitment and refusal to talk about Aaron Rodgers was a far cry from his comments in January.

We’re really not extending Rodgers.

This is really Aaron’s last year here.

We’re really about to start the Jordan Love era a year from now.

What will Aaron’s trade value be a year from now?

as I said, we are about to see from Lafleur and Gute just how long "we want aaron rodgers here a long time" is..........

I am fearful "we want aaron rodgers here a long time" is 12-18 months, and frankly, any words that come from those two ever again will never be trusted at face value if that is indeed what happens.  I am fearful it is going to be one of the biggest straight up lies this organization has ever made.  

If god forbid we actually do this, and Rodgers has another MVP season, the bottom asking price should be five first round picks.  That is not an exaggeration.  

Edited by HeresAGuy