2021 GB Roster & Free Agents

squire12

10 minutes ago, HeresAGuy said:

as I said, we are about to see from Lafleur and Gute just how long "we want aaron rodgers here a long time" is..........

I am fearful "we want aaron rodgers here a long time" is 12-18 months, and frankly, any words that come from those two ever again will never be trusted at face value if that is indeed what happens.  I am fearful it is going to be one of the biggest straight up lies this organization has ever made.  

If god forbid we actually do this, and Rodgers has another MVP season, the bottom asking price should be five first round picks.  That is not an exaggeration.  

It’s silly to talk about trust in a sport. What are they supposed to say. Most people can’t handle the truth. AR knows the writing is on the wall as do most. He’s expensive she chokes when it counts these days. As much asAR would not admit it he’s Brett part 2. 

I doubt the FO will care of us fans trust what they say. This is poker you keep your cards close to your chest. 

Edited by PACKRULE

9 minutes ago, HeresAGuy said:

as I said, we are about to see from Lafleur and Gute just how long "we want aaron rodgers here a long time" is..........

I am fearful "we want aaron rodgers here a long time" is 12-18 months, and frankly, any words that come from those two ever again will never be trusted at face value if that is indeed what happens.  I am fearful it is going to be one of the biggest straight up lies this organization has ever made.  

If god forbid we actually do this, and Rodgers has another MVP season, the bottom asking price should be five first round picks.  That is not an exaggeration.  

Lol.  He’s 38 years old in this scenario.

The maximum we would get would be three first round picks.  And that’s if the Packers took on a Goff type contract.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

....We’re really not extending Rodgers.

This is really Aaron’s last year here....

Why does the choice have to be ≥4 years or 1 year?  This is a false premise and a false dichotomy, that if we don't extend him to ≥4 years, that he's gone after 1.  (Or 2). 

He's got 3 years of contract as it stands.  Why extend to years 4-5-6 now, when he'll be 40 when year 3 expires?  You have the 3 years of contract and club control already in place.   

I think it's possible to play those years 3-2-1 before extending, if by that point you still want to?  

This year and next have large "base" values:  $15 this year, $25M each of years 2 and 3.  So on either this year or next, the team has the capacity to backload some of that base to year 3 as needed to free some cash.  And perhaps by year 3, maybe he'll be willing to restructure to some voidable years. 

Seems plausible to me to play it one year at a time.  If it's two years out and you still love his arm and his game, and want to extend then, that's fine.  But now doesn't need to be that time. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Read the tea leaves any way that makes you happy. The bottom line is still that unless Gute wants to go back to scouting punters in North Dakota, he better not move on from Rodgers and have Love blow chunks. Love has had ZERO grooming at this point.

This ^^^

Everybody can sit back and relax until Love shows something on an NFL field. Till that happens, ARs not going anywhere.  Gute's not stupid.

He's taking up almost 20% of our cap now and his hit goes up next year. Hopefully the cap goes up and gives us some breathing room - but still, Love has to show something. Has to prove he can stick - or AR's talent falls off the face of the earth.

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

This ^^^

Everybody can sit back and relax until Love shows something on an NFL field. Till that happens, ARs not going anywhere.  Gute's not stupid.

He's taking up almost 20% of our cap now and his hit goes up next year. Hopefully the cap goes up and gives us some breathing room - but still, Love has to show something. Has to prove he can stick - or AR's talent falls off the face of the earth.

But why fuel speculation? This just seems like bad PR management to me.   Plus, what if this isn’t Gute’s call? Maybe Murphy is making this decision. I’d be shocked if it was just up to Gute. You know, trifecta and all.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ccecilnosebleed said:

But why fuel speculation? This just seems like bad PR management to me.   Plus, what if this isn’t Gute’s call? Maybe Murphy is making this decision. I’d be shocked if it was just up to Gute. You know, trifecta and all.

It's Gute's call.

However, my lone conspiracy theory is that the Love, Dillon, Deguara draft had MLF's fingerprints all over it. I'd worry much more about MLF than Murphy

Edited by cannondale

29 minutes ago, ccecilnosebleed said:

Since it's Gute's job to lose if it goes south...it's probably his call.

I love it (no pun intended). Pressure is the mother of all motivators. If Rodgers wants to retire a Packer or be here a few more years make him earn it. Make him step and play. Don't extend him and guarantee his future for one great season after so many mediocre ones.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I'm drooling over the idea of a boatload of picks and a cheap QB and a ballooning cap...

This would be fine assuming Love isn't Deshone Kizer. Right now I'm not he isn't. Hopefully this preseason we at least get some idea of where he's at. 

48 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

This would be fine assuming Love isn't Deshone Kizer. Right now I'm not he isn't. Hopefully this preseason we at least get some idea of where he's at. 

That is why it is a good thing that we have until 2024 to make a decision.  By not messing with the contract, we have the option to move on from Rodgers in 2022 or 2023 if Love is good.  If he is Kizer 2.0, then he is a wasted pick but the "fall back plan" is Aaron Rodgers.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

What will Aaron’s trade value be a year from now?

As a fan, it is at least two firsts and another 2nd of 3rd round pick.  Maybe a player.

But man, I just don't know if we would get that for him.  Lots to consider.  Age being the first.  So far only Brady has eluded Father Time.  Playing at a high level past 38 or so is not something that is "normal".  Rivers and Brees were effective, but they also were getting 23-25M against the cap.  Probably because they had diminishing skills (legs/arm).  And probably because they needed a veteran team around them.

So, assuming that Rodgers is an exception and not the rule and still has legs/arm, then yah, multiple firsts and other good things.  But a trading partner needs to have room for his plus contract (and plus extension).  They need to be outside our division.  Maybe outside of the conference.  With no long term investment in QB on the roster, like a highly drafted young kid, or established veteran on a high end deal.  And the team needs to feel like it is a QB away from realistically winning it all.

Maybe that is New England.  Maybe it was San Fran (though same conference).  Maybe Indy.  

My point is...I just don't think there are enough teams out there, especially after this draft, who are going to really be able to swing that trade.  But all it takes is one.

Regarding the Rodgers situation.  I looked at Spotrac in 2020 and 2021 for cap hits and quarterbacks.  2020 saw Rivers, Brees,  Brady and Big Ben taking roughly $25M against the cap.  (Rodgers was right there, too.)

Brady is taking much less this year, new deal.  Rivers and Brees retired.  Ben took a pay cut to get closer to that $25M cap hit.

Seems like the trend is that the older you are as a QB, and still viewed as elite, the more likely you are to have around a $25M cap hit.

If GB is negotiating with Rodgers, maybe that is coming into play.  Rodgers simply wants more because he is not the "norm" for an aged QB.  Still has legs, still has the arm.

Just food for thought there.  Reading the tea leaves, so to say.

• Like 1