Texans hire David Culley as HC, Tim Kelly as OC, Lovie Smith as DC

RaidersAreOne

5 hours ago, N4L said:

everyone who is upset bienemy didnt get the job doesnt realize he probably turned them down.

This is quite the stretch here - not specific to the Houston job, he's interviewed close to 12 times in the last three years.

I can understand he'd be selective for the Texans gig, but what about everywhere else? What about last cycle when he was beaten by the likes of Joe Judge?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ET80 said:

This is quite the stretch here - not specific to the Houston job, he's interviewed close to 12 times in the last three years.

I can understand he'd be selective for the Texans gig, but what about everywhere else? What about last cycle when he was beaten by the likes of Joe Judge?

The problem is that everyone is dumbing it down to “Bienemy is the OC of a great offense, therefore he must be a great HC”. When the truth is he has a myriad of question marks that don’t make him a great looking candidate and on top of that he doesn’t interview well and this is leaked like every year. Take Judge, Judge reportedly nailed his interview and had Saban and Belichick calling him invaluable and writing letters for him. OC to HC is not a one to one jump. They are two different positions with hugely differently responsibilities that don’t all overlap. 

Edited by lancerman
  • Like 1

Definitely not an inspiring hire, but who knows? Maybe it'll work out as he wouldn't be the first successful coach who was considered an out there hire. But yeah, definitely can't blame Houston fans for feeling very underwhelmed by this hire. It seemed like this was Bieniemy's job to lose.

Hate that the Ravens get two third round picks out of this, though.

9 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Maybe he's just terrible at interviews? Really only plausible explanation, IMO. I think that was the reason it took Zimmer a long time to finally get a head coaching gig.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, lancerman said:

The problem is that everyone is dumbing it down to “Bienemy is the OC of a great offense, therefore he must be a great HC”. When the truth is he has a myriad of question marks that don’t make him a great looking candidate and on top of that he doesn’t interview well and this is leaked like every year. Take Judge, Judge reportedly nailed his interview and had Saban and Belichick calling him invaluable and writing letters for him. OC to HC is not a one to one jump. They are two different positions with hugely differently responsibilities that don’t all overlap. 

Exactly.... tired of hearing about Bienemy not getting a HC job. Because he's on Andy's staff with an elite talented offense he's entitled to a job? 

There is more to being a leader than being a coordinator on a talented team. There is something no resonating with teams in interviews it's apparent. 

Tired of the media acting like Bienemy not getting hired is a travesty and trying to make an issue out of it. He's getting interviews and clearly not nailing them or he'd have a job. That simple in my view. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ET80 said:

*Sigh*

Welp, I'm out.

Someone wake me when Cal McNair sells the team.

You're always welcome in Browns Town. :) 

From 1995-1998, I essentially became a Bills fan who also loved the Titans because of Eddie George (my dude at OSU), making the Music City Miracle super weird for me emotionally. 

Just now, ET80 said:

I mean, Bruce Arians and Tony Dungy were apparently bad at interviews too - I don't think anyone is really lamenting their hiring now.

Both those guys didn’t have to answer: 

-so you had mediocre coaching tenure at a major state college program 

-you don’t call plays in your offense 

-you didn’t develop the league leading elite QB who runs your offense 

-the two best skill players on your offense were both all pros before you got there 

-explain all

these legal issues that the media will ask about once you get hired 

...on top of bad interviews 

34 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Why does the team that loses the minority coach get the comp picks? Shouldn't it be the team that gives the coach a promotion? Doesn't make any sense to me. Unless I'm missing something. Which I'm sure I am.

Its an attempt to encourage teams to develop minority candidates lower down the food chain so that they are more qualified minority options available to be hired when a HC or GM job opens up.

Giving the comp picks to the team doing the hiring would open up the new minority HC or GM to assertions that they didn't get the job on merit

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

You're always welcome in Browns Town. :) 

Sorry:

23 hours ago, ET80 said:

Nope. I put some thought into this...

I'm going the @ramssuperbowl99 route on this. I'm not really joining a team, but I am wishing hellfire and brimstone for the Texans - just a nuclear disaster internally and externally, everyone there needs to lose several billion dollars in this single transaction. I want everything to be an abject failure going forward (and I'm sort of there, even if they DO work things out with Watson; I might shift if Bieniemy comes in at the last second, but I might give that less than 1% odds).

16 minutes ago, drd23 said:

Its an attempt to encourage teams to develop minority candidates lower down the food chain so that they are more qualified minority options available to be hired when a HC or GM job opens up.

Giving the comp picks to the team doing the hiring would open up the new minority HC or GM to assertions that they didn't get the job on merit

Okay makes sense now. Seems like a lot of loopholes and gray areas there but I get it.

1 hour ago, lancerman said:

This is such rubbish. You're telling me that Dan "We're gonna bite their kneecaps off" Campbell is a better interviewer than Bieniemy? You're telling me Arthur "I literally have no personality and might be a serial killer" Smith is a better interviewer than Bieniemy? You're telling me that only Bieniemy has question marks when it comes to being a head coach? There are so many unqualified morons who have gotten head coaching gigs who are clearly not qualified - Freddie Kitchens being a prime example of this.

It just blows my mind that when it comes to Bieniemy, there's always an excuse for why you shouldn't hire him, but for literally anyone else it's an excuse for why you should.

• Like 2