Texans hire David Culley as HC, Tim Kelly as OC, Lovie Smith as DC

RaidersAreOne

20 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

This is such rubbish. You're telling me that Dan "We're gonna bite their kneecaps off" Campbell is a better interviewer than Bieniemy? You're telling me Arthur "I literally have no personality and might be a serial killer" Smith is a better interviewer than Bieniemy? You're telling me that only Bieniemy has question marks when it comes to being a head coach? There are so many unqualified morons who have gotten head coaching gigs who are clearly not qualified - Freddie Kitchens being a prime example of this.

It just blows my mind that when it comes to Bieniemy, there's always an excuse for why you shouldn't hire him, but for literally anyone else it's an excuse for why you should.

Everything I said is well documented. Each year a bunch of leaks come out from organizations, that end up not hiring Bienemy, that he had a bad interview. He had a bad time coaching in CO and he’s pretty much toxic there and you can ask anyone who follows that team. Anyone remotely clued into the Chiefs knows that the entire org credits Kafka with Mahomes development and that Kelce and Hill were all pros long before he got there. Then he has a legal history that no team wants to be a big media story.

But let’s see if you can give me one good reason why all these franchises are passing on him. Is it some conspiracy or something? Or are all the issues people mentioned just resonating with teams? 

Being an OC of a great offense has NEVER meant being a great HC. In fact the best OC of the last 20 years is someone this board and plenty of fans hate the idea of being a HC. And Bienemy has less responsibility on the Chiefs than he has with his team. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

This is such rubbish. You're telling me that Dan "We're gonna bite their kneecaps off" Campbell is a better interviewer than Bieniemy?

Dan Campbell was a TE for the Lions during the 0-16 season. He knows the team, the FO, the Ford family and the city of Detroit. If you watched the entire introductory press conference and not just a 30 second sound byte about biting knee caps, you would see the passion he has for turning the Lions around. This resonates with the fanbase and front office. He also has HC experience both as interim in Miami and Assistant in NO, which often gets ignored. One of the key factors for DC's hire was his ability to build a coaching staff, which we're seeing with the recent coaching hires for the Lions.

I understand, white guy got job black guy wanted... but please, let's stop this narrative that Dan Campbell is some bum off the street who is unqualified. 

• Like 1

Just now, Louis Friend said:

Dan Campbell was a TE for the Lions during the 0-16 season. He knows the team, the FO, the Ford family and the city of Detroit. If you watched the entire introductory press conference and not just a 30 second sound byte about biting knee caps, you would see the passion he has for turning the Lions around. This resonates with the fanbase and front office. He also has HC experience both as interim in Miami and Assistant in NO, which often gets ignored. One of the key factors for DC's hire was his ability to build a coaching staff, which we're seeing with the recent coaching hires for the Lions.

I understand, white guy got job black guy wanted... but please, let's stop this narrative that Dan Campbell is some bum off the street who is unqualified. 

Sounds to me like Dan Campbell was a feel-good hire and not someone actually qualified to coach a professional team. Great motivator, though. Good luck going up against actual coaches with him.

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Sounds to me like Dan Campbell was a feel-good hire and not someone actually qualified to coach a professional team. Great motivator, though. Good luck going up against actual coaches with him.

Please, tell me what makes him unqualified to be an "actual coach". 

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

His introductory press conference?

Let me rephrase it, What have you heard, read or seen that lends credence to your assertion that Dan Campbell lacks game-planning or strategy and how does he fall behind someone like Bieniemy in that regard? Specific examples would be welcomed. 

8 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Seems like he comes from the Jameis Winston school of motivation to me

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

There are a million more cases of coaches who can gameplan and strategize succeeding in the NFL vs. macho men who talk about biting kneecaps and breaking legs.

There are also a million more cases of those hot shot coaches failing.

It's like the draft, no one really knows, not even the franchises themselves.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BofaDeez54927 said:

There are also a million more cases of those hot shot coaches failing.

It's like the draft, no one really knows, not even the franchises themselves.

Yup HC is such a big step up that it’s pretty much a crapshoot. There’s no model and truly relevant experience. It’s basically if you can effectively manage an entire team and delegate well. 

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure Culley is the only guy who'd take this job knowing that Watson is on his way out. If Schefter is correct (no reason to believe he's not) this trade info was disclosed during interviews - and it's probably why Eric Bieniemy didn't "get" a 2nd interview, he's probably declined it knowing what we know now.

As far as as Culley over Frazier - from the looks of it, Culley is OK with Easterby/Caserio picking the rest of the team; Lovie Smith, Tim Kelly, Josh McCown all come off as Easterby pickups. Frazier wanted some control, and that's the difference here.

Culley is a puppet. That simple.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

This is such rubbish. You're telling me that Dan "We're gonna bite their kneecaps off" Campbell is a better interviewer than Bieniemy? You're telling me Arthur "I literally have no personality and might be a serial killer" Smith is a better interviewer than Bieniemy? You're telling me that only Bieniemy has question marks when it comes to being a head coach? There are so many unqualified morons who have gotten head coaching gigs who are clearly not qualified - Freddie Kitchens being a prime example of this.

It just blows my mind that when it comes to Bieniemy, there's always an excuse for why you shouldn't hire him, but for literally anyone else it's an excuse for why you should.

arthur smith has built a reputation as an extremely strong interviewer. it's how he survived so many coaching changes in tennessee and kept climbing the ladder. as soon as he started even sniffing HC buzz i knew he was gone because he was going to knock them out of the park.

campbell was over-the-top in his press conference but that has no bearing on his actual skills as an interviewer or as a coach. 

you're literally just saying these guys are underqualified because you don't like their vibes based on the media clips of each of them. that's stupid. they may both fail, and bienemy may have deserved a shot over either of them for any number of reasons, but not for the weird one you're fabricating.

• Like 4