Texans hire David Culley as HC, Tim Kelly as OC, Lovie Smith as DC

RaidersAreOne

19 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

More than a bit odd for a coordinator to be retained, though. Perhaps Houston is hoping to woo Watson back, after all?

Likely retained as its late in the coaching process and many of the top candidates aren’t going to want to implode their career coaching that offense without Watson.

Probably also similarly likely that the Texans have a handshake deal in place with elevating McCown to be their next OC and then HC in the coming years, sort of like the Dallas Cowboys and Jason Garrett all those years ago.

5 minutes ago, lancerman said:

I think his cap hit is so prohibitive the next two years that they might just drag their feet. Right now they have almost no incentive to rush this. They are screwed no matter what. 

If they're going this route, take the cap hit this year, pre-June first. Run 2021 with a skeleton crew (because that's all you can really afford) and get the dead cap out of the way during the 0-16 season.

I agree there's no rush to this. Vet out the best possible offer.

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

If they're going this route, take the cap hit this year, pre-June first. Run 2021 with a skeleton crew (because that's all you can really afford) and get the dead cap out of the way during the 0-16 season.

I agree there's no rush to this. Vet out the best possible offer.

Time to turn your attention to MLB Spring Training!

This really screams of “we know we’re going to suck so we hired someone nice”.

Texans are in a hole that Culley isn’t going to magically fix (I doubt many head coaches could right this ship right now), but outside of Deshaun Watson wanting out from relations with the previous admin I don’t think you’ll see the locker room mutinee or quit playing. 

Texans aren’t sniffing a super bowl anytime soon with or without Watson and a hotshot head coach. Hopefully Culley can at least get the boys to play hard through the rebuild. If he gets good coordinators you could do worse. 

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy