Texans hire David Culley as HC, Tim Kelly as OC, Lovie Smith as DC

RaidersAreOne

4 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

chances he retires before his contract up?

He's set up to fail - he didn't pick his staff, he isn't picking his roster, he isn't implementing his philosophy - he's just walking around, clapping and giving pep talks.

He's going 0-16 next year. Probably going to go 0-16 the following year, too. He might be the first HC in NFL History to never win a game.

• Like 1

Also I dont get why they are picking his staff for him.  Kelly is useless now if Watson is traded.  Kelly is already bad as an OC anyway.  The game has passed Lovie by.  That cover 2 scheme worked back in the day when the league wasnt a passing league.  He was awful with the Bucs and at Illinois. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, N4L said:

straight out of the Dean Spanos playbook

everyone who is upset bienemy didnt get the job doesnt realize he probably turned them down. Good for him for not taking the worst job possible, but also, I dont want to hear anyone complaining about him not getting hired. Its going to happen eventually if he is worthy. 25% of the league looks for a new coach every year, someone will give him a shot soon.. 

Wrong thread? the Nick Sirianni thread is somewhere else

.... ok, probably a double post actually, idk either guy lol

To be fair, Cal’s recent decisions actually makes Dean Spanos look like a genius in comparison.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, kramxel said:

Who is David Culley?

Never heard of him before.

Dave Culley was a Chiefs WR/Passing Game coach the year they didn't score a touchdown to a WR.

He then went on to be the Ravens' Passing Game Coordinator / WR's Coach for the two years where we ranked 27th and 32nd in the league in passing offense in 2019 and 2020.

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

This is such rubbish. You're telling me that Dan "We're gonna bite their kneecaps off" Campbell is a better interviewer than Bieniemy? You're telling me Arthur "I literally have no personality and might be a serial killer" Smith is a better interviewer than Bieniemy? You're telling me that only Bieniemy has question marks when it comes to being a head coach? There are so many unqualified morons who have gotten head coaching gigs who are clearly not qualified - Freddie Kitchens being a prime example of this.

It just blows my mind that when it comes to Bieniemy, there's always an excuse for why you shouldn't hire him, but for literally anyone else it's an excuse for why you should.

Mods, I apologize in advance if I’m breaking forum rules. Don’t lock this thread because of me.

Anyways,I personally believe that because Bienemy is a minority, he has to work even harder to overcome those negatives listed. He cannot be blunt like Zimmer. The excuse of not calling plays won’t fly compared to someone like Nagy. His past holds him back even more than someone like Patricia. At the end of the day, it is what it is unfortunately. 

17 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Mods, I apologize in advance if I’m breaking forum rules. Don’t lock this thread because of me.

Anyways,I personally believe that because Bienemy is a minority, he has to work even harder to overcome those negatives listed. He cannot be blunt like Zimmer. The excuse of not calling plays won’t fly compared to someone like Nagy. His past holds him back even more than someone like Patricia. At the end of the day, it is what it is unfortunately. 

You do realize he got "passed over" (turned down?) for another minority? And that Zimmer had to wait many years to get a HC job himself because of 'personality conflicts'?

I dont think in this day that any NFL owner/GM is picking the staff based on race. I think the race card is a weak excuse for the reason Bienemy sucks at interviewing and has a checkered past. Plus, he is a glorified RB coach; the least important spot on the team.

5 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

You do realize he got "passed over" (turned down?) for another minority? And that Zimmer had to wait many years to get a HC job himself because of 'personality conflicts'?

I dont think in this day that any NFL owner/GM is picking the staff based on race. I think the race card is a weak excuse for the reason Bienemy sucks at interviewing and has a checkered past. Plus, he is a glorified RB coach; the least important spot on the team.

I think you misread or misunderstood what I was saying.

Edited by Xenos

4 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

It's just hard for me to justify the Culley hiring. His age, his background, none of it is positive. At least Bieniemy has a track record of having great RB's on his team and getting production out of them. What has Culley done....ever?! He just seems to be a nice guy and that's about it. He certainly was not hired because he can coordinate a passing game or develop players.

• Like 1