Texans hire David Culley as HC, Tim Kelly as OC, Lovie Smith as DC

RaidersAreOne

Just now, ET80 said:

Hey, you want Watson? Give me a bunch of firsts, like three - including the one I gave you for Tunsil...

... Speaking of Tunsil, would you like him back for a few 2nd round picks?

Not as much as I want our firsts. Honestly pretty set on building around Tua.

Although I'd very like you to trade him to someone other than the Jets if possible.

5 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Coaching since before *I* was born and never getting a promotion to OC isn't a strong resume headliner either.

This is like that guy who has been working in data entry for 40+ years suddenly getting named COO. It's out of nowhere and you openly wonder if this guy knows what he's getting himself into...

The one thing I will say, is I thought John Harbaugh was a really random off the wall hire in the same vein, back when he got hired for the Ravens. But he was like 20 years younger, and that's basically the best possible example I can think of, of a guy like that.

Given the timing, I wonder if he left KC because he was passed over for Nagy, also. Because he went to Buffalo between the '16 and '17 seasons, and that would've been the offseason we promoted Nagy to OC.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Deadpulse said:

Well I have my pick for first fired coach of 2021

Oh, no. Quick death isn't an option, the Texans kept O'Brien around for seven years, kept Kubiak around for eight - Culley will stick around, even if he threepeats 0-16. 

The Texans are bad to hire and slow to fire.

8 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Oh, no. Quick death isn't an option, the Texans kept O'Brien around for seven years, kept Kubiak around for eight - Culley will stick around, even if he threepeats 0-16. 

He’s 65 now (66 in Sept), 16 losses per season means 64 losses by age 70. During year/age 70 his losses will match his age Week 6 (or 7 pending bye). So fired mid season 2025 and Josh McCown becomes interim head coach. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

He’s 65 now (66 in Sept), 16 losses per season means 64 losses by age 70. During year/age 70 his losses will match his age Week 6 (or 7 pending bye). So fired mid season 2025 and Josh McCown becomes interim head coach. 

Then, the McCown era begins and hopefully it sticks...

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

Then, the McCown era begins and hopefully it sticks...

playing the long game. get mccown some coaching experience so he doesn't crash and burn like he would if you made him HC now, then hire him outright when culley fails or retires....it's genius

31 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Well I have my pick for first fired coach of 2021

28 minutes ago, ET80 said:

If Watson gets traded, Cullen is going to get a mega-long leash, the reason being Cullen having no weapons to work with.

If Watson doesn't get traded, the drama that ensues will be cited as the reason why the team underperformed.

I mean, if this a mob boss owner - year 1 firings are possible.   But for better or worse, Cullen's getting 2 years, maybe 3 - unless there's an off-field issue.   

Edited by Broncofan

7 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

playing the long game. get mccown some coaching experience so he doesn't crash and burn like he would if you made him HC now, then hire him outright when culley fails or retires....it's genius

Year 1 QBC

Year 2 OC

Year 3....

Add 1 extra year of OC in between if Cullen sticks it out 3 seasons.   The fact that HOU kept Tim Kelly as OC sets up a post-2021 promotion from McCown to OC for 2022.  Once he's had 1-2 years of OC experience, the HC seat is his for the taking.  I mean, Cullen might need an angioplasty or 2 by year 3.

Edited by Broncofan

6 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

You remember back in the day when I used to make fun of the Titans because Dave Ragone was a WR Coach?

Karma, man. Karma said "I'mma punch this dude in the face with some brass knuckles..." and today it DID.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

You remember back in the day when I used to make fun of the Titans because Dave Ragone was a WR Coach?

Karma, man. Karma said "I'mma punch this dude in the face with some brass knuckles..." and today it DID.

that's dave ragone, offensive coordinator of the atlanta falcons to you!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Um... holy crap.

Thank you Texans. We will take those 2 3rd rounders and run.

I think the things they're saying about his leadership skills are real, and as far as the whole 'passing game coordinator' thing goes with us, I place the blame more on Roman than him for the issues with it. But this is still a genuinely stunning and confusing hire. 

Yup. Ravens are making out like bandits here. Not a fan of the new rule, but it is what it is.

24 minutes ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

You're forgetting, we're moving to 17 game seasons.