Texans hire David Culley as HC

I don't want to go back to supporting the Niners (exclusively)... but I think I may need a break from the Texans for awhile... (If Deshaun or JJ gets traded there [to SF]... sheesh)

I don't think Cal has ever really had to build anything so he doesn't appreciate the damage he is doing to "his" team by keeping this weasel around and how is infecting the whole team.

What good has come to the Texans since JE has been around?  i'll wait....

Just color me so disappointed in this whole off-season... Also if this is Cesario's first move and it was not done with the blessing of DW4 (representing the players), ouchi mochi....

• Like 2

I mean there’s no upside. Let say He turns out to be a decent coach, he’s 66 freaking years old. He’s gonna be headed to retirement in a few years. This had better have been a stopgap to keep Watson happy. If we did this and Watson didn’t like it then Just wow. 

• Like 1

This all comes down to if Watson is ok with this. Allegedly they got close at the pro bowl last year (not sure how much I believe that), but we’ll see I guess. The biggest thing he has going for him is that he’s pretty much an unknown, who knows if he’ll be good. It seems like a lot of people think he’s a good leader and maybe that’s what the team needs, someone to really take charge and build a culture for the team.

I also get the idea that maybe he’s been overlooked, people keep saying he gets players to “buy in” and that may be true, but at all of his stops his units have not very good. It seems that the reason he has been overlooked is because he’s never been part of something worth looking at. 

Regardless though if Watson didn’t give his ok on this though it’s a terrible hire.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Marco79 said:

This all comes down to if Watson is ok with this. Allegedly they got close at the pro bowl last year (not sure how much I believe that), but we’ll see I guess. The biggest thing he has going for him is that he’s pretty much an unknown, who knows if he’ll be good. It seems like a lot of people think he’s a good leader and maybe that’s what the team needs, someone to really take charge and build a culture for the team.

I also get the idea that maybe he’s been overlooked, people keep saying he gets players to “buy in” and that may be true, but at all of his stops his units have not very good. It seems that the reason he has been overlooked is because he’s never been part of something worth looking at. 

Regardless though if Watson didn’t give his ok on this though it’s a terrible hire.

I was just thinking this.... maybe he sucks as  coordinator, but is a good HC.... that being said, that is ULTRA-RARE.

Moreover, as has been stated numerous times, if this was not done with the blessing of DW4 and the players... just burn the whole thing down

I really hope I'm wrong on this, but this sucks. Weirdly enough, the age doesn't bother me. It's that he's never been a coordinator before and now he's jumping to HC. Below are some quick highlights on his recent position coaching experience. I really hope he's a "leader of men" and hires some badass coordinators, because I am not sold or inspired by this hire. I've heard of failing up, but this is just impressive. If he gets Watson to stay, I'm slightly ok with it. This is our "Tomsula" hire if we're following the 49ers track after they got rid of Harbough. 

• WR coach for a Chiefs offense that scored zero WR touchdowns
  • QB coach for Josh Allen's 10/12 TD/INT rookie season
  • Passing-game coordinator of the Ravens which was last in passing yards per game
  • Like 1

Looks like Kelly will be OC, McCown QB coach

Lovie Smith as DC

EDIT: Guess who played QB for Lovie in TB?  Did you guess Josh McCown?? You win a cookie!

Edited by jch1911

This team wouldn't be stupid enough to trade DW4 and sign Winston as the QB, would it??? (Hint: Winston played his rookie season under Lovie)

Man.... this is just starting to make my stomach bubble

Edited by jch1911
50 minutes ago, jch1911 said:

Also if this is Cesario's first move and it was not done with the blessing of DW4 (representing the players), ouchi mochi....

This is literally the only thing that would make this hire even remotely passable - that Watson gave it the thumbs up.

At the least, it would let Watson know he shouldn't make these sort of decisions. 

I've never felt this disassociated with this team before. This feels like the 1995 Lame Duck Oilers, I don't care what happens to this team.

• Like 1