Texans hire David Culley as HC

RaidersAreOne

Everything you see is that this guy is a good leader (what we need most) and will connect with the players far better than what we had with OB. I think his success will be heavily influenced by his coordinators and assistant coaches. I don't hate this hire. Deshaun said after the season "We just need new energy. We just need discipline. We need structure. We need a leader so we can follow that leader as players. That's what we need".... Culley is the leader we need. Kubiak who has coached with Culley said that 'David is the energy in the building. David is a very energetic football coach. He relates to players extremely well. He has his way of bonding with them while also being very demanding of them'... Culley is exactly what Watson was looking for at the end of last season and Watson was supported by many of his teammates after making those comments. I don't think age is a big a factor as some are making out to be. Pete Carroll and Belichick are older, as was our interim HC Crennel who is 73! We have to give Culley a chance and I think this could turn out to be a good hire. Go Texans!

Kelly staying on as OC will please Watson and the offense will keep some continuity. Plus Kelly has a full offseason to tweak the system the way he wants. We couldn't run the ball last year and it was a major problem for our offense. I just am hoping and praying that Devlin will be gone as OL coach. That is my one wish for this offseason and when OB was fired I thought it might happen this year. Now I'm unsure they'll change much of the staff offensively at all. Fingers crossed Culley will bring someone to help improve our run game.

If he is able to bring Lovie Smith on as DC I think that would be a good hire for us, because the defense is a mess. He is another well respected man and leader. Hopefully he could bring along some good assistants for the defensive side of the ball with all his experience and connections in the NFL. I wouldn't want Lovie as a HC, but feel pretty good about him just running the defense. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, tab said:

ppl say that this has to have watson's blessing, but in reality they probably went with a coach they like instead of one he likes because they've likely already decided to trade him

It seems as if this was one of his best traits - that he met with Watson and made a strong impression on him.

Culley might be the only person in the building that Watson would answer the phone for. I can't think Watson wouldn't even chat with him, and - hopefully - one conversation with Culley is what Watson needs.

We'll see.

• Like 2

The Bad: His entire resume

The Good: I got nothing

The only reason I'm not setting fire things: Resume hasn't been shown to be well correlated to HC success anyway

The Easterby and Cal need to die a slow painful death: Everything this franchise has done since Easterby arrived

• Like 2

Yeah thinking about it, I don’t hate this hire. I’m not like psyched about it but I’ll give him a chance. I’m mostly relieved that it isn’t A: McDaniels and B: a former failed HC. I still don’t understand why not Bienemy but maybe it might be a good thing to have a low key hire that won’t be constantly compared to Andy Reid 24/7. Idk. 

Also I’m really glad that he’s black and that all 3 of our top candidates were black, and I don’t care if I make someone mad by saying so

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tab said:

Yeah thinking about it, I don’t hate this hire. I’m not like psyched about it but I’ll give him a chance. I’m mostly relieved that it isn’t A: McDaniels and B: a former failed HC. I still don’t understand why not Bienemy but maybe it might be a good thing to have a low key hire that won’t be constantly compared to Andy Reid 24/7. Idk. 

Also I’m really glad that he’s black and that all 3 of our top candidates were black, and I don’t care if I make someone mad by saying so

Apparently EB wanted (1) partial roster control & (2) lots of $$$; I understand both as long as JE was around

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

So it really sounds like this is a transitional hire and that we plan to groom either Kelly or Mccown as the future HC. No one hires a 66 year old hoping to get a 15 year guy. 

Pretty sure McCown is the next HC in 3-4 years. Theoretically, it's not the worst idea ever...

...but this is a bad idea.

1 minute ago, Pastor Dillon said:

So it seems set in stone that Kelly will be the OC and Lovie Smith will be the DC. I wonder if Lovie will run a 4-3. I can’t remember what he’s done in the past. 

But we’re keeping McCown on and I saw something about Pep Hamilton also yesterday too..... 

Thats a weird mix of offensive guys 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

So it seems set in stone that Kelly will be the OC and Lovie Smith will be the DC. I wonder if Lovie will run a 4-3. I can’t remember what he’s done in the past. 

He's a 4-3 Cover 2 guy. So, exclusive zone from our DBs.