Has your opinion on BB changed?

The hot topic in the media right now is how Brady has made Bill look stupid, that 'he's won the divorce' and other presumptive stuff like that.

It is true that Bill's record with and without Tom is noticeable in it's difference. It's also true that he's currently working with a really bad roster and expecting wins is far-fetched a lot of the time (regardless of it being his fault the roster is bad). 

Has this season changed how you feel about Bill?

For me, I think this talk is far too premature. Soon, Tom will retire and Bill will still be coaching. These media types that are ready to put Andy Reid as the new GOAT coach are seemingly too ready to assume Bill won't ever be back to the Superbowl. If Bill coaches another 8 years, who is to say he can't build another great team?

So for me, I take the point that Brady inflated everything (because he did, he's the GOAT QB), but I think it's too early to kill Bill.

He's annoyed me at times with some questionable moves and decisions.  I wouldn't say it's changed given how crap the roster is, but there's a side of me that is enjoying seeing him struggle while TB is going to the big game again (even though he's likely going to take another L in it).  I'm really curious to see how long he stays as HC and how quickly the team recovers to being competitive. 

BB sometime can frustrate the heck out of me. He does things that I question all the time. However all I have to do is watch the other teams in the NFL and thank God he's in charge of the Pats. 

The Brady argument is ridiculous I don't care what some idiot on ESPN thinks. Most of time its some blowhard that has a axe to grind or BB hurt his feeling in the past.  I can't think of his name but he played WR with A Rodgers and he always saying he would take Rodger over Brady. AR is so much better than TB, he's lucky he's in the Pats system crap!

I was watching NFLNW and some was asked about Brady and BB and who is the reason for the Pats dynasty. His answer IMO put the question to bed. They are both equally important.

Reason  SB 1 and 2 was not Brady but the defense.  BB put that defense together. Also Brady didn't win the last one it was BB defensive plan that won the game. 

Finally the draft its what drives me crazy. I hated the dog show. BB took time to train the dog to sit there, it was a 6th grade calculated move. Grow up!

Some of his pick and strategy is baffling however if you take his hit percentage  in the draft he's above average in the NFL. Forgot, if he's the greatest mind in football how does he miss on some, than find hidden gems on the scarp heap! 😁

Put it this way. If both Belichick and Brady were on the Bucs this year, would they still be where they are now? Would they have got there with a better record than 14-5? Almost assuredly. 

We can doubt some of his GM decisions but I wonder if the stinkers come along with the blinders. Change part of his approach to magically be better with his WRs and 2nd round picks and who is to say he would still find those diamonds in the rough and great value picks. 

Final thought - let's see if Romo is right and the Pats are back sooner than everyone thinks. Even if Watson ends up in the AFC East, I'd still pick BB to find a way to get back on top. 

Belichick the coach? No way. It's a shame that he's also the GM though cause it can be hard to separate the too.

Some of the excuses (and lets not beat around the bush, that's what they were) about selling out etc were not a good look this year. I still find it stunning that we had no real succession plan in place at QB past trading Jimmy G in 2017. You hear rumours of New England coaches past and present being a bit arrogant about the system/Brady and you wonder just how true it is, believing we could win with anyone. If true, hopefully this season was a bit of an eye opener. But these are mostly GM criticisms.

Weekly game plans, in-game adjustments, there is still no one better. To nearly beat the Chiefs with Brian freaking Hoyer and beating the Ravens in the manner we did is a testament to that. But, again, going in full circle, Bill the GM will have to nail FA and the draft to turn this around quickly.

6 hours ago, ToonPatriot said:

no real succession plan in place at QB past trading Jimmy G in 2017.

Take a look at the 2018 and 2019 (QB) drafts, slim pickings out of the top 10.  Pats were not in position to trade for anyone. Also Brady still on the team, so do you pull a GB on Rodger deal and draft Jordan Love who might be a bust. Me, no way.

Trust me its is frustrating however like many on the board, no one want to reach for a QB just becasue you need to fill the position. 

The one most people can argue is he missed on L Jackson. I'm not one of them. I would pass on him again if he was in the draft today. I don't watch to see if we make the playoffs, I watched to see if we are going to SB. It's SB or bust. 

L Jackson will never get to the SB. He will always lose when the other team are close competitively . Up 2 TD against the Ravens is like a  50 yard lead in the 100 yard dash. Also one injury and he is done.

Edited by m haynes
1 hour ago, m haynes said:

Take a look at the 2018 and 2019 (QB) drafts, slim pickings out of the top 10.  Pats were not in position to trade for anyone. Also Brady still on the team, so do you pull a GB on Rodger deal and draft Jordan Love who might be a bust. Me, no way.

Trust me its is frustrating however like many on the board, no one want to reach for a QB just because you need to fill the position. 

The one most people can argue is he missed on L Jackson. I'm not one of them. I would pass on him again if he was in the draft today. I don't watch to see if we make the playoffs, I watched to see if we are going to SB. It's SB or bust. 

L Jackson will never get to the SB. He will always lose when the other team are close competitively . Up 2 TD against the Ravens is like a  50 yard lead in the 100 yard dash. Also one injury and he is done.

* I wouldn't want any part of Lamar Jackson .. wasn't that the year Sony was drafted instead and helped the Pats win a Super Bowl? I agree that's one more Super Bowl than Jackson will ever have

* Patriots could have had love last year instead of Dugger.. he is raw and needed to sit for a year or two but he has all the tools to be successful. I think Josh could have turned him into at minimum Jimmy G without injuries ( which many people here would be very happy with) 

* Gardner Minshew was also drafted in the 6th round in 2019 

hide GIF

Cowherd was on Tom Curran's podcast yesterday. He said he knows of two ex Patriot staff involved in scouting that said from January in player scouting and recruitment Bill goes "ill take it from here". Insinuating he has total control on draft picks and FA.

He was angling toward the point that BB needs some of his player recruitment power taken away. I dunno if this is true or not, but that's what he said.

My opinion of BB is literally exactly the same, if anything this season simply proved what we all knew for years.

1. BB is fantastic game planner and gameday coach, who will always be able to put together disciplined fundamental football teams and be competitive on the day.

2. He's a genius defensive mind, who can always put a defense together that won't give up many points or big plays.

3. His drafting is not as good, relying on making lots of picks and good value guys in later rounds, rather than picking superstars.

4. His only real weakness is in acquiring skill position players, most especially drafting WRs.

5. Brady concealed that weakness for 2 decades by being able to put together a top 10 offense out of spare parts. Without an elite QB the offense was mediocre to dreadful.

As others said, this is a roster that would be in contention for #1 overall with any other coach. That said, if he brings back Cam and we have another season of that painful offense, THAT would change my mind a bit.

On 1/28/2021 at 8:09 AM, Deadpulse said:

No

Anyone else wouldve coached that team into a battle for #1 overall. 

Yep. And Bill actually had them a few lucky breaks away from the playoffs with one of the worst offenses in the league and half the defense opting out. If they win a few more of those close games and sneak into the playoffs at 10-6, everyone would be talking about what a genius he is. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

My opinion of BB is literally exactly the same, if anything this season simply proved what we all knew for years.

1. BB is fantastic game planner and gameday coach, who will always be able to put together disciplined fundamental football teams and be competitive on the day.

2. He's a genius defensive mind, who can always put a defense together that won't give up many points or big plays.

3. His drafting is not as good, relying on making lots of picks and good value guys in later rounds, rather than picking superstars.

4. His only real weakness is in acquiring skill position players, most especially drafting WRs.

5. Brady concealed that weakness for 2 decades by being able to put together a top 10 offense out of spare parts. Without an elite QB the offense was mediocre to dreadful.

As others said, this is a roster that would be in contention for #1 overall with any other coach. That said, if he brings back Cam and we have another season of that painful offense, THAT would change my mind a bit.

Completely agree. Belichick is the best, but he’s not perfect. Brady was a great fit because he helped paper over some of Bills weaknesses and areas Bill just didn’t pay enough attention to. But no one is the best at everything and Bill has always struggled to get talent at skill positions, outside of gambling on guys with locker room issues like TO, AB, Josh Gordon, Dillon etc. that sometimes work and sometimes flame out.

I have high hopes for next season if a few things break right.