Has your opinion on BB changed?

Hunter2_1

9 hours ago, mission27 said:

Bill has always struggled to get talent at skill positions,

I'm not say this is right or wrong but i don't exactly see it that way.  Put it bluntly, I don't think he gives a crap about WR and RBs.  He finds guys that he get for bargains that can play the position. He cares about impact positions,   basically the trees not the ornaments.

Everyone one says he can't draft WR but have you looked where he drafted most of them, there in the 2nd,  4th,5th 6th  Rds. I was shocked when they took Harry.  There's a U Tube video that describe what he want at WR and he never mentioned speed or quickness. Sports Writer (they no crap) say he likes 3 cone well explain Harry. What he describe is the guy he mostly picks in the 2nd rd.  Look what we had over the years and look how many times he just passes over WR in the draft. One year we were dying for WR he picked zero!!!!!

Cordelle Paterson was one of the top guy in the draft. We badly needed WR he's sitting there and the Pats are on the board, wait they just traded the pick.  What 5 years later they pick him up on the cheap!

Edited by m haynes

35 minutes ago, m haynes said:

Put it bluntly, I don't think he gives a crap about WR and RBs.  He finds guys that he get for bargains that can play the position.

I used to agree with this.. now I think he cares about the positions a lot more but just doesn't have experience evaluating them having spent decades not caring about them. Harry in the 1st and Michel in the 1st prove that. If BB didn't give a crap about RB he would NEVER draft one in the first round .. I don't agree with even drafting a RB in the first round given how many great ones are available in the 2-4th rounds.. but you've got to care about the position a lot to draft one in the 1st round when he could have easily traded back from that spot. 

I think Nick Saban has either gotten to him more over the last few years or if anything is now because defense simply doesn't win championships anymore.. rules go more and more towards the offense every year. You need a good defense who can step up and have great games sometimes.. but you have to have a great offense to win a Super Bowl nowadays ( with the Pats vs Rams being an outlier). 

Bucs and Chiefs have opportunistic defenses who have had some great games.. but also some pretty meh ones along the way. The consistent aspect of those teams is they put up points and have a lot of weapons on offense. 

Has my opinion of Belichick changed after he brought a team with a bottom 10 (arguably bottom 5 roster) to win 7 games, and was close (Buffalo fumble, Seattle goal line stand) to winning 9 games?

Lol, no. People's expectations are ridiculous. 

I do think this narrative is going to make him be extremely aggressive this off season. I'm excited for it.

Open season now. Amendola has added his bit;

"If you look up the Patriot way, next to it you will see Tom Brady. The coaches weren't out there completing passes, catching, making tackles. The Patriot way IS Tom Brady. And that's why Tom's in the superbowl and the Patriots aren't" 

53 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Open season now. Amendola has added his bit;

"If you look up the Patriot way, next to it you will see Tom Brady. The coaches weren't out there completing passes, catching, making tackles. The Patriot way IS Tom Brady. And that's why Tom's in the superbowl and the Patriots aren't" 

I read another former player eye rolled that hard already lol

“Well I talked to Danny Amendola yesterday,” Ninkovich began. “Danny lives by the seat of his pants, he lives a certain way.

“Look, the way Bill coaches is the Patriot Way,” Ninkovich continued. “And for 20 years, they had Tom Brady to embody that philosophy perfectly. The way that Bill coaches his team to be putting the team first, not selfish, doing what’s best for the team, putting the team’s goals in front of your own personal goals. That was Tom Brady. He was able to do that for 20 years.

“I get players sometimes, they start to lose the concepts of look, ‘We’re the ones out here making the catches and the tackles and all the things that win you the football game,’ but the way Bill coaches the team is the Patriot Way,” said Ninkovich. “Tom was a great, great Patriot for 20 years and he was what everyone came into that building to see this is how you do it, this is Tom Brady, I’m looking up to that guy. Oh, he’s a Super Bowl champ, he’s an MVP, that’s the way I do it. That’s the way I go to work. That’s the way I go to meetings, [those] are the notes I take. That’s how Tom was able to be such a leader in that locker room.

“Bill and Tom together, they created that,” Ninkovich concluded.

As far as interpreting Amendola’s intent, Ninkovich concurred that Belichick can be difficult to deal with on contract issues.

“I don’t think he was trying to take a shot at Bill the coach,” Ninkovich explained. “I think that there could be some issues there, when you’re negotiating your own contract with Bill, he looks at you and says, ‘Well you’re kind of old, and you’re slow,’ I mean sometimes that hurts you. It hits you a certain way.

“I’m sure Danny was feeling a type of way, he was feeling a type of way in that interview, so he decided to, you know, shots fired, right?” Ninkovich added. “So at the end of the day, Danny Amendola has done so much for the Patriots organization in the playoffs. We all know what Bill has done for the Patriots, and that collective work together has made that run so magical. I got two rings for it, so guess what? Thanks Danny for catching that ball in the Super Bowl to give us a two-point conversion twice, and Bill thanks for all the time and effort, because the guy sleeps in the building three nights a week.”

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2021/02/03/rob-ninkovich-danny-amendola-bill-belichick

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

First article is from 2011

Too early to say how much the transition affects Bill’s legacy.  I think the better question is, how many poor performing seasons would it take to change your perception of BB. 

I still like seeing some pressure on Bill.  TB proved his point; give him the tools and he’ll succeed, even at this point in his career.  The next two seasons will be telling depending on how the team trends.  

I'd be lying if I said no. It has changed... a little. BB is amazing but he's not good enough to take an average roster and make them contenders without a great QB. Prior to the season beginning, I thought BB might be able to do it... I was wrong. Nothing against BB, if not him then I doubt any HC can do it. I was overrating how much coaching mattered to think it was good enough to take an average roster to the playoffs.

I was always of the opinion Brady meant more to us than Belichick, but I also understood Belichick was the GOAT HC. I just think QBs are more important. This year has just reinforced that belief for me.

1 hour ago, PatriotsWin! said:

I'd be lying if I said no. It has changed... a little. BB is amazing but he's not good enough to take an average roster and make them contenders without a great QB. Prior to the season beginning, I thought BB might be able to do it... I was wrong. Nothing against BB, if not him then I doubt any HC can do it. I was overrating how much coaching mattered to think it was good enough to take an average roster to the playoffs.

I was always of the opinion Brady meant more to us than Belichick, but I also understood Belichick was the GOAT HC. I just think QBs are more important. This year has just reinforced that belief for me.

I say this, he's miracle worker. He won 7 games without a QB on the field. First time in history that happened !!!! 😁:(

Most other coaches would have had this team winning maybe 2-3 games fighting for the #1 pick. Some of those games you had to be impressed with just how they were possibly able to be in those games with the lack of talent. It did really put a highlight on the lack of talent though.

With all those opt outs on defense .. and literally 0 offense. It's impressive that he got to 7 wins. With that said, i'm not sure how many years of under .500 football ownership and fans will allow before he is really on the hot seat. Another 7-9 season and the media will love calling for him to be fired. 

I don't worry about his coaching.. but I do worry about his drafting. He isn't doing himself any favors. The nice thing is all the cap space, he should be able to have a much better team next season with a good draft and a few key free agents. This past draft looks like it could easily be his best in the past 5+ seasons, so seeing Dugger, Uche, Asiasi, Onwenu and Herron have a year 2 jump should be huge. 

Are we expecting to have full offseason program for next year? I'd imagine so, right? 

9 hours ago, IheartMyV8 said:

First article is from 2011

Too early to say how much the transition affects Bill’s legacy.  I think the better question is, how many poor performing seasons would it take to change your perception of BB. 

I still like seeing some pressure on Bill.  TB proved his point; give him the tools and he’ll succeed, even at this point in his career.  The next two seasons will be telling depending on how the team trends.  

There's loads. All the outlets are pumping them out, I could post 5 or 6 just from the last 5 days.

It's like if he has one bad(ish) season and Tom had a good one, that's it, the last 20 years doesn't matter

• Like 1