Has your opinion on BB changed?

Hunter2_1

9 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

There's loads. All the outlets are pumping them out, I could post 5 or 6 just from the last 5 days.

It's like if he has one bad(ish) season and Tom had a good one, that's it, the last 20 years doesn't matter

Well I mean... for one, the last 20 years have had TB12 manning the helm of the offense.  His first season away left NE with a -5 win differential over last year while he and his new team took home the title in his first season there.  That's going to raise some questions, especially by the reactionary bobbleheads in sports media.  

Now the flip side is, how many times have most of us in this forum parroted stuff like, "BB can take a bunch of UDFA's, VFA's, and cast offs and win championships?"  "In Bill We Trust" should be in the heading of this subforum.  So we can't really say "Oh... well he's been successful and dominant for 20 years, it's not fair to question him now" and change the narrative now that he's had a losing season.  The attention/pressure/debate is warranted, but IMO not for another season or two.  Clock is ticking though.  

'08 really screwed the pooch expectation wise.  Everyone looks at the final record of 11-5 instead of looking at it as a regression of -5 wins.  -5 vs 16-0 is still an impressive record.  -5 from 12-4 is us last season.  

1 hour ago, IheartMyV8 said:

Well I mean... for one, the last 20 years have had TB12 manning the helm of the offense.  His first season away left NE with a -5 win differential over last year while he and his new team took home the title in his first season there.  That's going to raise some questions, especially by the reactionary bobbleheads in sports media.  

Now the flip side is, how many times have most of us in this forum parroted stuff like, "BB can take a bunch of UDFA's, VFA's, and cast offs and win championships?"  "In Bill We Trust" should be in the heading of this subforum.  So we can't really say "Oh... well he's been successful and dominant for 20 years, it's not fair to question him now" and change the narrative now that he's had a losing season.  The attention/pressure/debate is warranted, but IMO not for another season or two.  Clock is ticking though.  

'08 really screwed the pooch expectation wise.  Everyone looks at the final record of 11-5 instead of looking at it as a regression of -5 wins.  -5 vs 16-0 is still an impressive record.  -5 from 12-4 is us last season.  

Give it a year with cap space and an actual off season if Bill doesn't show something then you can blame him. But if this past season had a decent QB things wouldn't have been that bad. And while not taking anything away from Brady, he went to a team that was pretty good. Winston threw for over 5000 yards lass year when he was throwing to his guys. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, jofos said:

Give it a year with cap space and an actual off season if Bill doesn't show something then you can blame him. But if this past season had a decent QB things wouldn't have been that bad. And while not taking anything away from Brady, he went to a team that was pretty good. Winston threw for over 5000 yards lass year when he was throwing to his guys. 

I don't disagree.  But I'm sticking at 2 seasons.  I'll give him another pass if we are sub .500 next season.  I don't think we have enough capital to fill the holes this season coupled with a more competitive AFCE, especially in the off chance Watson ends up in NY or MIA.  

Cap strapped this season so we weren't getting anything better than Cam on the deal we got him on.  Did we even have 3M free at the start of the season?  It was pretty gross if I remember correctly.

The only point I'm making with TB is he proved his success wasn't reliant on BB or his system, and with the tools he can still perform up to his standards.  I see that as a positive.  

Then again I could be talking out of my *** and not have a clue what I'm saying.  There's a lot more knowledgeable peeps in here that I'm sure could/will put me in my place.

11 hours ago, IheartMyV8 said:

I agree. Genuine questions are there, but it's just 1 season and it coincides with having a terrible squad and a tough schedule. We need a lot more data.

I still think if he had the squad of, say, 2016 with Jimmy as QB instead. We still go deep in playoffs.

It's a perfect storm right now

21 hours ago, jofos said:

I don't think a year is a fair expectation to turn around a team that is devoid of talent on one side of the ball, has no QB, and a lot of stars on the defensive side of the ball who are getting up there in age.  If anyone can do that I guess its Bill but lets be honest, most teams with our roster would not have any near term hope of competing. 

• Like 1