Deshaun Watson officially requests trade

.Buzz

8 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Well, let's just say I wouldn't be surprised. And I'll take a great offense every year for the next who knows how long. Shanahan and Watson? Yesssssirrr. 

Brady is 43 years old. That's what separates.  I want a long term starter for the team obviously. 

I thought we were just talking about 2021

10 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

At some point these athletes have to be held accountable.  Made to honor these contracts.

Then tell these billionaire owners to make contracts guaranteed or not let players be cut/traded without their permission.

Can't have it both ways.

Don't sit at your computer throwing stones when you have the ability to choose where you work. If you don't like your job, you can put in a 2 weeks notice and find a new company. These players shouldn't be forced to work at a place they hate, that has continuously failed and disrespected them, just because of a contract they signed that the front office/owner can terminate at any time if they wanted.

You scream foul when a player tries to make a move saying "Honor your contract", but I bet I won't see you in any thread about a player being cut or traded from a franchise they love saying "the front office should honor the contract".

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Then tell these billionaire owners to make contracts guaranteed or not let players be cut/traded without their permission.

Can't have it both ways.

Don't sit at your computer throwing stones when you have the ability to choose where you work. If you don't like your job, you can put in a 2 weeks notice and find a new company. These players shouldn't be forced to work at a place they hate, that has continuously failed and disrespected them, just because of a contract they signed that the front office/owner can terminate at any time if they wanted.

You scream foul when a player tries to make a move saying "Honor your contract", but I bet I won't see you in any thread about a player being cut or traded from a franchise they love saying "the front office should honor the contract".

Ohhh Mr. High Horse, but I have posted numerous times over my years on this site about how Contracts are basically written on toilet paper. Only guaranteed money matters.

However I have never witnessed a player 5 months removed from a 4 yr 156M extension he had absolutely no problem signing, do a complete 180°?? Its as though NFL players now think they play in the NBA. Can ***** and whine their ways out of town. 

We're not talking about a Player a few years into his new contract but 5 GD months? GTFOH with this moral high ground BS directed at me while defending the man who just said this after cashing in his lottery ticket....

"I'm lost for words, honestly. Been crying a little bit, a lot of bit, really. It's just an amazing moment for me," the two-time Pro Bowler said. "The money is amazing. It's life-changing. It's great. But the biggest thing is for the (organization) to just trust in me and believe in me that I'm their guy, I'm their quarterback is the biggest thing that really touches me."

Also please stop comparing professional athletes and their job requirements/standards to the real world that the vast majority of this society and we all live by. Its not remotely the same! Like at all.

Watson will make 16K per Min next year during his NFL games. Jumps to 40K per min in 2022! Let that sink in before comparing the travesty of his work conditions and not being able to give 2 weeks notice like the masses. Thanks.

Edited by Nabbs4u

2 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Ohhh Mr. High Horse, but I have posted numerous times over my years on this site about how Contracts are basically written on toilet paper. Only guaranteed money matters.

However I have never witnessed a player 5 months removed from a 4 yr 156M extension he had absolutely no problem signing, do a complete 180°?? Its as though NFL players now think they play in the NBA. Can ***** and whine their ways out of town. 

We're not talking about a Player a few years into his new contract but 5 GD months? GTFOH with this moral high ground BS directed at me while defending the man who just said this after cashing in his lottery ticket....

Also please stop comparing professional athletes and their job requirements/standards to the real world that the vast majority of this society and we all live by. Its not remotely the same! Like at all.

Watson will make 16K per Min next year during his NFL games. Jumps to 40K per min in 2022! Let that sink in before comparing the travesty of his work conditions and not being able to give 2 weeks notice like the masses. Thanks.

Okay. But show me when you defended the player and said he should get the money that was put on paper. I don't care about you understanding that contracts aren't guaranteed; that takes a kindergarten level intelligence to understand. Your stance is players should honor the "contracts". If I don't see you damning teams for cutting players that don't want to be cut, then you're a hypocrite.

Why shouldn't NFL players have the same power and freedom of NBA players?

It's funny, you put all this money per minute and stuff on paper to try and make it seem like I can't relate to Watson. You understand the owner you are so graciously defending is worth a crazy amount more than that, right? There's a far larger difference between Watson's pay and my pay than there is between what the owners are worth and what Watson is worth.

Forgive me for not condemning Watson for trying to leave a franchise that has failed over and over.

Say what you want about he wasn't forced to sign his extension, and to an extent you're right. But with the franchise tag, his injury history, and the lack of true guaranteed contracts, I'm not going to blame him for signing the contract presented considering the circumstances the players are under.

1 hour ago, seminoles1 said:

Forgive me for not condemning Watson for trying to leave a franchise that has failed over and over.

Say what you want about he wasn't forced to sign his extension, and to an extent you're right. But with the franchise tag, his injury history, and the lack of true guaranteed contracts, I'm not going to blame him for signing the contract presented considering the circumstances the players are under.

He didn't seem to think the Organization failed him 5 months ago? Please re-read your last paragraph, in your own words. Watson chose this legit less then 5 months ago, so he should suck it up.

As for me proving my stance on Players , Owners and overall Contracts you're welcome to scroll through my history the past 14 years on this site and 38,000 posts to find them. Enjoy.

5 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

He didn't seem to think the Organization failed him 5 months ago? Please re-read your last paragraph, in your own words. Watson chose this legit less then 5 months ago, so he should suck it up.

it's almost as though circumstances change over time!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

As for me proving my stance on Players , Owners and overall Contracts you're welcome to scroll through my history the past 14 years on this site and 38,000 posts to find them. Enjoy.

I don't need to re-read my paragraph, my stance doesn't change. Did you read it? Because I clearly stated why I can't blame Watson for signing the contract considering how little control players have about where they play the first 7 years of their careers.

So make it easy and state your position instead of me digging: if players should just honor their contracts like you said about Watson, then teams should not have the ability to cut or trade players. Do you agree or disagree?

1 hour ago, seminoles1 said:

I don't need to re-read my paragraph, my stance doesn't change. Did you read it? Because I clearly stated why I can't blame Watson for signing the contract considering how little control players have about where they play the first 7 years of their careers.

So make it easy and state your position instead of me digging: if players should just honor their contracts like you said about Watson, then teams should not have the ability to cut or trade players. Do you agree or disagree?

There is a massive difference from being an Employee and an Employer. Watson chose to be an Employee of the Houston Texans by signing that Rediculously lucrative extension. He had other options. Sign, don't sign, Franchise Tag, demand a trade then. He chose this!

I don't care if he changed his mind 5 months later. We aren't talking years into that extension which would be understandable. He knew how dysfunctional the Texans FO and BOB specifically were for years. Yet still signed anyways in September. I have no pity for him nor his situation. 

Stance is clear.

2 hours ago, El Ramster said:

Deshaun to the Rams for Goff just makes too much sense.. Throw in JJ with a franchise tag along with Goff. Power house. Life is good for the Texans. 

Paint chips you ate today were especially strong...

• Like 1

Albert Breer answers a question about the situation:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/01/27/nfl-mailbag-jared-goff-last-game-rams

From J T (@jetstrimin): Where is Deshaun Watson playing next year?

J.T., I think he’ll be playing in Houston, and I think the Texans would be ridiculous to entertain trading him at this point. The trouble is, I really can’t say if he’s gonna budge, mostly because I’ve gotten no indication that’s going to happen. But Watson’s way too special not to exhaust every avenue to try and fix the situation, and I don’t think Houston’s close to having exhausted every avenue.

Really, that the Texans are in this position in the first place is a product of their own incompetence. Watson’s not angry because he didn’t get to pick the coach and/or GM. Watson’s upset because he was told he’d be part of that process, he was consulted early on, and then he watched as ownership reversed course on a dime without telling him—and did so while, at least initially, disregarding his suggestions.

The bottom line: If you were in his spot, you’d feel like you’d been patronized and lied to as well.

All of it could’ve been avoided by owner Cal McNair’s picking up the phone and just keeping Watson apprised of where the team was going. That McNair chose not to do that is absolutely mind-blowing. And that leaves new GM Nick Caserio with a five-alarm blaze as his first fire to put out in Houston. I don’t know if he can make it happen. I do know, if I were him, I’d sure as hell try, because there are very few quarterbacks who look capable of keeping up with Patrick Mahomes for the next decade, and Watson is one of them.