Deshaun Watson officially requests trade

6 minutes ago, showtime said:

Deshaun Watson is not a FA until 2026.

I get that Watson doesn't want to be there and he has doubled down in his efforts to leave, but he just signed a contract last off-season. I'm not a Texans fan, so I'm speaking on this from a distance.  I get that the people who run the organization suck and all that, but this makes Watson look really bad, imo.

From an outside perspective, it looks like the team started losing and now he wants out. Last year when they want to the AFC championship game and were winning, he had no problem signing an extension.

I know that it's way more than just that, but still. Everyone has known the Texans FO has been a joke for years. Watson knew that too. He needs to man up and work it out.

You're right he isn't FA until 2026, but if he sits then no years are deducted from his contract, he will effectively be with us until the end of time at least according to the new NFLPA. (I read this somewhere, someone can correct me.)

It looks super bad as well cause no other Texan player has reacted in this way and it looks even worse on top of that because we went all out for Watson, gave up two FRPs to protect him, three if you include picking Tytus, signed him to a mega deal, let him vouch and keep a coach he liked (BoB) when everything was going horribly, let him vouch for a OC, built our entire offense around what he wanted. Yeah, a player who has been given this much can't possibly say "This organization hates me!"

Dude is starting to look entitled and like a locker room cancer, can't imagine he is being seen in a positive light in league circles either, the only thing he has going for him is that his agent is tight with a lot of big names like Jalen Ramsey, that's literally it.

Edited by Drained
4 minutes ago, Drained said:

Dude is starting to look entitled and like a locker room cancer, can't imagine he is being seen in a positive light in league circles either, the only thing he has going for him is that his agent is tight with a lot of big names like Jalen Ramsey, that's literally it.

Watson?

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Watson?

Yes. What I said was that he looks like that to me, obviously not to the league itself but I can't imagine a team wants to give up 4 FRP's for a player acting like this, especially after signing a big deal and a month after saying "I will bring a championship to this city and not give up on it", it looks REALLY bad. Speculation of course though.

Just now, Drained said:

Yes. What I said was that he looks like that to me, obviously not to the league itself but I can't imagine a team wants to give up 4 FRP's for a player acting like this, especially after signing a big deal and a month after saying "I will bring a championship to this city and not give up on it", it looks REALLY bad. Speculation of course though.

I mean, have you looked into what's going on in Houston?  I don't blame him for a second.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, have you looked into what's going on in Houston?  I don't blame him for a second.

Not even four months ago did he sign a contract despite knowing the same FO we are talking about were making bad personnel decisions, sending the teams future away, trading his no.1 WR away and Easterby was walking around influencing Cal McNair to a level that even Bill O'Brien couldn't control. Most of the things detailed in that SI article happened before he signed the contract. A month ago he thanked the same people that are being called the problem.

It's not all about the FO, if it was, he wouldn't have trapped himself in a six year deal. You can say "Well it could have gotten worse" and then that's his own fault because the writing was on the wall. You don't just make the FO gut a team for you and then walk out because you don't get a choice on an exec decision.

Edited by Drained
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, Drained said:

You're right he isn't FA until 2026, but if he sits then no years are deducted from his contract, he will effectively be with us until the end of time at least according to the new NFLPA. (I read this somewhere, someone can correct me.)

It looks super bad as well cause no other Texan player has reacted in this way and it looks even worse on top of that because we went all out for Watson, gave up two FRPs to protect him, three if you include picking Tytus, signed him to a mega deal, let him vouch and keep a coach he liked (BoB) when everything was going horribly, let him vouch for a OC, built our entire offense around what he wanted. Yeah, a player who has been given this much can't possibly say "This organization hates me!"

I hate this type of stuff, man. You get someone who's a franchise talent at the QB position like Deshaun Watson and now he wants out.

If the Texans do end up trading him, I hope the Texans get a ton of stuff in return and can get their franchise back on track. Sucks for David Culley.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

He just signed a four year extension. Everyone on here made fun of how bad the FO and staff of the Texans have been for years. Watson just realized all this stuff now?

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Drained said:

Not even four months ago did he sign a contract despite knowing the same FO we are talking about were making bad personnel decisions, sending the teams future away, trading his no.1 WR away and Easterby was walking around influencing Cal McNair to a level that even Bill O'Brien couldn't control. Most of the things detailed in that SI article happened before he signed the contract. A month ago he thanked the same people that are being called the problem.

It's not all about the FO, if it was, he wouldn't have trapped himself in a six year deal. You can say "Well it could have gotten worse" and then that's his own fault because the writing was on the wall. You don't just make the FO gut a team for you and then walk out because you don't get a choice on an exec decision.

I don't totally disagree and have even mentioned that in other threads about how I'm not sure how badly I feel for Watson. But others brought up the very true point that had Watson not signed the contract, he very well likely could have been stuck in Houston for another several years anyway if they just used the franchise tag on him. So I don't know, I can see both sides of the argument in regards to that.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, DawgX said:

I don't totally disagree and have even mentioned that in other threads about how I'm not sure how badly I feel for Watson. But others brought up the very true point that had Watson not signed the contract, he very well likely could have been stuck in Houston for another several years anyway if they just used the franchise tag on him. So I don't know, I can see both sides of the argument in regards to that.

Yeah I get what they mean when they say that, problem is that the contract, at least in my eyes, is a direct endorsement of the FO at the time. Tagging him would give him the same amount of money as his new contract and I don't think the Texans cap space could handle tagging him for a second year anyway but I don't understand the exact financials. 

To me it just looks like he is upset at something but he won't address it, I don't necessarily think he's ring chasing. QB's who are seen as a lot more immature (like Baker Mayfield) were given a much worse owner and a much worse hand and made it into something, Watson won't even give us a chance lol it's infuriating.

Edited by Drained
3 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

I was waiting for somebody to Watson entitled. How many pages did it take lol?

Surprised no one did it yet, in the grand scheme of things the blame is 50/50, entire team's future and cap space was demolished for him and he thinks he isn't listened to or cared about

1 minute ago, Drained said:

Surprised no one did it yet, in the grand scheme of things the blame is 50/50, entire team's future and cap space was demolished for him and he thinks he isn't listened to or cared about

Just so you know, I find the notion that Watson is entitled to be absurd.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, TakeTheBallDeep said:

So now that we see what Stafford got I assume the 49ers would have to offer something like this?

Jimmy G

Nick Bosa

2021 2nd, 4th

2022 1st, 3nd

2023 1st, 5th

I'd be all for that, thats actually what I'd prefer. I feel like the team itself is built to withstand losing those picks and Bosa too. I'm a closet 49ers fan so watching Watson on that team would be awesome.