Deshaun Watson officially requests trade

.Buzz

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

BOB blows 24-0 lead.   Watson says nothing

BOB doesn't get fired that offseason.   Watson says nothing.

BOB trades Nuk, signs 2 other WR's for same $.   Watson makes 1 post that's upset about Nuk leaving, then says nothing.

Watson has contract discussion - at which time, facing the 4-year handcuff HOU holds over him - makes 1 condition on signing (that can't be put into a contract with the CBA) - input and a say into the GM & HC hire.  That's it.  

Watson then goes through a 4-12 season with the team that BOB built and watches Nuk thrive in ARI.   Does not say anything.

Meanwhile, HOU owner McNair goes with VP Easterby as the power broker, who does the following:

-fires the PR director Amy Palcic, who's won awards in the last 2 seasons, and loved by the players - for a celebration tweet after Kamala Harris becomes the first VP elect.  "Bad culture fit" was the reason.   JJ Watt himself calls out HOU firing Amy - saying she's one of the best PR directors around (link - https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/jj-watt-joins-chorus-of-support-for-texans-executive-reportedly-fired-for-lack-of-cultural-fit-214753571.html)   Watson still says nothing.

-it's only when McNair and Easterby literally do the ONE thing they were supposed to get Watson's input on -  GM & HC hires - while he's away and out of town for the GM part, and the owner McNair also blatantly lies publicly about the extent of Watson's involvement (which he then has to back off on later on).  It's only that Watson finally decides enough is enough.   

-McNair & Easterby's attempt at placating Watson - is to hire a coach with a heavy faith-based background, who happens to also be a minority hire.   Also happens to have zero actual HC-worth qualifications.  

You can blame Watson for signing - but let's not paint this like Watson had a simple choice last September.  He was locked into HOU for 4 more years with HOU having no guarantees, or he could extend.  He made input & involvement a condition of his signing - and back then, football-people were in charge of the decision-making.    Now we've got a faith-based VP who's calling the shots, and judging by the decisions being made, is making faith a HUGE part of the decision-making process.    Webby's rules means we can't debate the merits of this, and I get that.   But I think we can all agree when football-based evaluation isn't the main driver for decisions made by a football org, it's a dumpster fire.

Again, this is all covered in the SI piece from 2 weeks ago.  (Summary, there's actually more in the Dec. 10 piece too - https://www.si.com/nfl/texans/news/houston-hoodwinked-can-texans-owner-cal-mcnair-see-through-jack-easterby-ploys).

Frankly, when you take a wide angle view, it's not surprising that the HOU fanbase hasn't come out against Watson - but against Easterby and the Mcnairs.   Usually at this stage the fanbase goes after the player wanting out.    It's pretty telling you don't get a whiff of that here.

The problem isn't Watson.   It's on Easterby & the McNairs, and while Watson owns 10 percent for being naive enough to believe McNair, it wasn't a simple decision.    This is pretty much all on HOU's joke of a FO, McNair & Easterby.  The only question is how much they can salvage this dumpster fire they've created.

Take all my footballs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

BOB blows 24-0 lead.   Watson says nothing

BOB doesn't get fired that offseason.   Watson says nothing.

BOB trades Nuk, signs 2 other WR's for same $.   Watson makes 1 post that's upset about Nuk leaving, then says nothing.

Watson has contract discussion - at which time, facing the 4-year handcuff HOU holds over him - makes 1 condition on signing (that can't be put into a contract with the CBA) - input and a say into the GM & HC hire.  That's it.  

Watson then goes through a 4-12 season with the team that BOB built and watches Nuk thrive in ARI.   Does not say anything.

Meanwhile, HOU owner McNair goes with VP Easterby as the power broker, who does the following:

-fires the PR director Amy Palcic, who's won awards in the last 2 seasons, and loved by the players - for a celebration tweet after Kamala Harris becomes the first female VP elect.  "Bad culture fit" was the reason.   JJ Watt himself calls out HOU firing Amy - saying she's one of the best PR directors around (link - https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/jj-watt-joins-chorus-of-support-for-texans-executive-reportedly-fired-for-lack-of-cultural-fit-214753571.html)   Watson still says nothing.

-it's only when McNair and Easterby literally do the ONE thing they were supposed to get Watson's input on -  GM & HC hires - while he's away and out of town for the GM part, and the owner McNair also blatantly lies publicly about the extent of Watson's involvement (which he then has to back off on later on).  It's only that Watson finally decides enough is enough.   

-McNair & Easterby's attempt at placating Watson - is to hire a coach with a heavy faith-based background, who happens to also be a minority hire.   Also happens to have zero actual HC-worth qualifications.  

You can blame Watson for signing - but let's not paint this like Watson had a simple choice last September.  He was locked into HOU for 4 more years with HOU having no guarantees, or he could extend.  He made input & involvement a condition of his signing - and back then, football-people were in charge of the decision-making.    Now we've got a faith-based VP who's calling the shots, and judging by the decisions being made, is making faith a HUGE part of the decision-making process.    Webby's rules means we can't debate the merits of this, and I get that.   But I think we can all agree when football-based evaluation isn't the main driver for decisions made by a football org, it's a dumpster fire.

Again, this is all covered in the SI piece from 2 weeks ago.  (Summary, there's actually more in the Dec. 10 piece too - https://www.si.com/nfl/texans/news/houston-hoodwinked-can-texans-owner-cal-mcnair-see-through-jack-easterby-ploys).

Frankly, when you take a wide angle view, it's not surprising that the HOU fanbase hasn't come out against Watson - but against Easterby and the Mcnairs.   Usually at this stage the fanbase goes after the player wanting out.    It's pretty telling you don't get a whiff of that here.

The problem isn't Watson.   It's on Easterby & the McNairs, and while Watson owns 10 percent for being naive enough to believe McNair, it wasn't a simple decision.    This is pretty much all on HOU's joke of a FO, McNair & Easterby.  The only question is how much they can salvage this dumpster fire they've created.

Honestly, I should just copy and paste this post going forward. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, evilpimp972 said:

The Dak Prescott route for Watson :

- waiting 2 years on rookie contract to get franchise tagged once and maybe twice.

Again, how is, not signing a mega deal in 2020, helping Deshaun Watson move to a different franchise in 2021?

I'll wait for some answers.

By not signing the contract and holding out he would have a more leverage, imo. Signing a contract is giving your word both personally and professionally regarding a commitment. 

3 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

By not signing the contract and holding out he would have a more leverage, imo. Signing a contract is giving your word both personally and professionally regarding a commitment. 

By holding out he wouldve also made 0 dollar at that time. And that was his rookie contract btw

The guaranteed money he owns now gives him leverage. 

• Like 2

Peter King chimes in. I bolded the parts that stood out to me.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/31/chiefs-bucs-super-bowl-rams-lions-trade-fmia-peter-king/

2. DESHAUN WATSON. Very nice man. Excellent football player. Franchise quarterback, to be sure. Non-confrontational. Add this nugget: Watson, just 21 weeks ago, signed a contract making him the second-richest player in football history. It didn’t take two years for him to turn on his team. It took 21 weeks. It’s gotten to the point where, I’m told, even some respected veterans on the teams have, in effect, told Watson, Go ahead. Go. We love you. We don’t want you to get trapped here. You don’t owe us anything. 

I’ve heard a few other things about Watson. The veterans on the team supported him going to owner Cal McNair a month ago and telling him the situation in the locker room was dire, and there was no faith in the management or direction of the team. When the team didn’t interview a Watson favorite, Robert Saleh, that turned off the locker room. When the team chose to keep EVP Jack Easterby (a major bone of contention with players, who do not trust him), that further soured the players, including Watson.

Obviously, the question is whether Watson has the guts to withstand the gigantic pressure that comes with turning his back on the team in the fifth-largest market in the country, and turning his back on the team that he emotionally thanked for the huge contract last September, and turning his back on the team that paid him $29.4 million in 2020. It’s easy to say today he’ll stay strong—and he very well may. But if the Texans don’t trade him, a mountain of crap will come down on all their houses over the next eight months.

Close observers think there will be no real forward progress with Watson as long as Easterby is in the picture. Obviously, the question is whether Watson has the guts.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

The new CBA makes it essentially impossible to hold out.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Seeing Detroit get Goff, two 1's, and a 3 for Stafford will definitely drive the price for Watson up SKY HIGH. 

Part of the issue was that the Rams were also trying to get rid of Goff’s contract so they overpaid even more in the trade.

1 hour ago, evilpimp972 said:

By holding out he wouldve also made 0 dollar at that time. And that was his rookie contract btw

The guaranteed money he owns now gives him leverage. 

45 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

The new CBA makes it essentially impossible to hold out.

^^^ Where do you guys get this information?? And why are @ET80 and @Xenos liking it??

Its completely false.

1. Rookie contracts are fully GTD. So he would have been making money less the fines. Which is exactly the same as he is "planning" on doing right now if his trade request has any bite to it.

2. Having GTD money has no meaning under the CBA in a holdout, the NFL can come back at you for it for breaching your contract. 

I swear to god, its like people on here just want to believe contract law doesnt exist and that players have some imaginary power that they dont. 

40 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Part of the issue was that the Rams were also trying to get rid of Goff’s contract so they overpaid even more in the trade.

Houston trading Watson increases their 2021 cap hit plus they’d get a picks and/or players.   They’re already over the cap and may have to trade Cooks.

27 minutes ago, Joe_is_the_best said:

Watson should honor his contract (I think he will) AND the Texans should honor their word (I know they haven't).

Watson is good. McNair is bad. Easterby is ugly.

Maybe it’ll be as simple as firing Easterby now. But at the same time, I wonder if they missed their window. It’s not like they didn’t have time to get this right once BOB was fired.

1 hour ago, Xenos said:

Maybe it’ll be as simple as firing Easterby now. 

I think it is, but the difficult part is Janice/Cal actually firing Easterby.

He's entrenched, he's got a HC, GM and coaching staff that has been hand picked by the guy, and the owner is obsessed with him working for this team.

Honestly, he'd have to commit a crime of some nature to get the pink slip, IMO.

28 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I think it is, but the difficult part is Janice/Cal actually firing Easterby.

He's entrenched, he's got a HC, GM and coaching staff that has been hand picked by the guy, and the owner is obsessed with him working for this team.

Honestly, he'd have to commit a crime of some nature to get the pink slip, IMO.

Hence the missed window part. I feel like it’s too late unless Cal goes nuclear and fires everyone he just hired. And gets on hands and knees to apologize to Watson and the team.

• Like 1