Deshaun Watson officially requests trade

.Buzz

3 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

^^ Where do you guys get this information?? And why are @ET80 and @Xenos liking it??

Its completely false.

1. Rookie contracts are fully GTD. So he would have been making money less the fines. Which is exactly the same as he is "planning" on doing right now if his trade request has any bite to it.

2. Having GTD money has no meaning under the CBA in a holdout, the NFL can come back at you for it for breaching your contract. 

I swear to god, its like people on here just want to believe contract law doesnt exist and that players have some imaginary power that they dont. 

Have you read up on the new rules/restrictions for holdouts? There is no holding out. The player loses an accrued season if they don't show up on Day 1 of training camp.

I'm not talking about fines. What matters is losing an accrued season, thus holding out doesn't actually help because it delays a potential exit by another calendar year.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Have you read up on the new rules/restrictions for holdouts? There is no holding out. The player loses an accrued season if they don't show up on Day 1 of training camp.

I'm not talking about fines. What matters is losing an accrued season, thus holding out doesn't actually help because it delays a potential exit by another calendar year.

Losing an accrued season primarily matters towards the vesting schedule and the pension. Unless I am missing something, he still has the opportunity to earn his pay is he shows up. So the Texans could franchise him a 3rd time in this scenario? Not really a steep punishment, yet extremely financially restrictive to the Texans. Were talking $50m hits against the cap by 2023...

29 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Losing an accrued season primarily matters towards the vesting schedule and the pension. Unless I am missing something, he still has the opportunity to earn his pay is he shows up. So the Texans could franchise him a 3rd time in this scenario? Not really a steep punishment, yet extremely financially restrictive to the Texans. Were talking $50m hits against the cap by 2023...

I'm not gonna lie, I've gotten confused by your stance. Not trying to be a ****, just needing clarification.

Weren't you saying he should have or was planning to hold out? And saying that Houston/the NFL would just go after his guaranteed money of he sat out?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

I'm not gonna lie, I've gotten confused by your stance. Not trying to be a ****, just needing clarification.

Weren't you saying he should have or was planning to hold out? And saying that Houston/the NFL would just go after his guaranteed money of he sat out?

If he holds out the entire year, they can go back after his signing bonus. 

If he never signed a contract, they could doc him his pay.

It boils down to this:

1. Under a contract, Watson has lessened his ability to get out. Because he has committed and the recourse the Texans have. 

2. Under a franchise tag scenario (like Dak), the player's path to leaving is much easier, because there is no contract/signing bonus/etc that needs to be accounted for. Making it harder and harder for the team to keep him. 

Watson did it the wrong way if he wanted to leave. 

Edited by Matts4313

17 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

It boils down to this:

1. Under a contract, Watson has lessened his ability to get out. Because he has committed and the recourse the Texans have. 

2. Under a franchise tag scenario (like Dak), the player's path to leaving is much easier, because there is no contract/signing bonus/etc that needs to be accounted for. Making it harder and harder for the team to keep him. 

That’s because he didn’t want to leave at first. I think what happened now is flying over your head more than your anger at people who supposedly don’t understand contracts.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Xenos said:

That’s because he didn’t want to leave at first. I think what happened now is flying over your head more than your anger at people who supposedly don’t understand contracts.

I dont have any anger whatsoever, first of all. 

Secondly, I know exactly what happened. I pointed it a while back:

• Watson knew that they just traded Hopkins.
  • Watson knew that Easterby was gaining power and some players hated him.
  • Watson knew BoB was likely to be fired soon.
  • Watson knew that they had no draft capital.
  • Watson knew the young talent wasnt there.
  • So if Watson couldnt read the tea leaves, he is an idiot. Everyone else knew things were bleak.

Watsons agent failed him. And the idea of needing security is silly. He could have bought a policy for that. Dak did, for like $50m. 

I am just playing devils advocate to the circle jerk. How many times do you and others want to pat each other on the butt saying "Esterby this the is devil"

Edited by Matts4313

15 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I dont have any anger whatsoever, first of all. 

Secondly, I know exactly what happened. I pointed it a while back:

• Watson knew that they just traded Hopkins.
  • Watson knew that Easterby was gaining power and some players hated him.
  • Watson knew BoB was likely to be fired soon.
  • Watson knew that they had no draft capital.
  • Watson knew the young talent wasnt there.
  • So if Watson couldnt read the tea leaves, he is an idiot. Everyone else knew things were bleak.

Watsons agent failed him. And the idea of needing security is silly. He could have bought a policy for that. Dak did, for like $50m. 

I am just playing devils advocate to the circle jerk. How many times do you and others want to pat each other on the butt saying "Esterby this the is devil"

Only person I see in the circle jerk is you. But you do you I guess.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Only person I see in the circle jerk is you. But you do you I guess.

I dont think you know what that term means. What is it with this website and not knowing basic terminology. To create a circle, it takes more than own person. Learn your shapes, man.

15 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I dont think you know what that term means. What is it with this website and not knowing basic terminology. To create a circle, it takes more than own person. Learn your shapes, man.

Schitts Creek Thumbs Up GIF by CBC

10 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

It boils down to this:

The thing is, there is no franchise tag scenario, Dak was FREE. Watson had years left. So he wouldve been under contract regardless. 

38 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

I still cannot believe the players signed that effing CBA. It's so bad.

I am not surprised. It catered more to the non stars of the league which is the majority. They saw the immediate money instead of the overall nonsense the league was hitting them with. It was easier for players who already made their money to sit out and not sign... but 80% of the league can't do that. It was always going to be signed.

And now they locked into it for another decade.

• Like 1

https://www.si.com/nfl/texans/.amp/news/brandin-cooks-reveals-thoughts-on-qb-deshaun-watsons-texans-future

Cooks - who is the only "pro-Easterby" guy ever mentioned when talking about Easterby - didn't really say much in regards to keeping Watson around. He understands that Watson has to do what's best for him, and supports him no matter what.

Cooks, who has been traded three different times to four different teams himself, echos that Watson needs to assert himself if this is a situation where he wants out.

The locker room has Watson's back - and for a guy who has been very close to Easterby since their days in New England, it shows that there's virtually nobody outside of the McNair family and Nick Caserio (and by proxy, David Culley) that supports Easterby...

"No, I'm not worried," Brandin Cooks said on The Michael Kay Show on ESPN 98.7 when he was asked if he is concerned about losing his quarterback. "I love Deshaun to death. He's a special guy and whatever is best for him, that's what I want to happen."

When asked about supporting Watson as the QB potentially sets a precedent with the league, Cooks backed his quarterback.

Said Cooks: "100 percent. Absolutely. At the end of the day when you've got the opportunity to do what you think is the best for yourself, you do that because we got tossed around back and forth when we don't have the power. But when you have it, you better hold on to it."

• Like 3