Deshaun Watson officially requests trade

.Buzz

1 hour ago, Calamity_Cometh said:

It's what makes AP's season back post-ACL year 1 so amazing (he's a freak).

I personally think it was HGH... Same with Wes Welker, who tore his ACL/MCL in a 2010 W17 matchup vs the Texans, but came back first week of 2011 and set career highs while making All Pro.

With this much money on the line and no reliable testing the league or NFLPA will agree on (back then at least) why wouldn't some guys get that edge?

But, I'm getting sidetracked.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I personally think it was HGH... Same with Wes Welker, who tore his ACL/MCL in a 2010 W17 matchup vs the Texans, but came back first week of 2011 and set career highs while making All Pro.

With this much money on the line and no reliable testing the league or NFLPA will agree on (back then at least) why wouldn't some guys get that edge?

But, I'm getting sidetracked.

100% agreed.

• Like 1

Semi related to this talk - what's the value for LT Laremy Tunsil? One of the top pass blocking LTs in football (but a bit of a slouch in run blocking). I don't think anyone is expecting to pay what the Texans paid to land him, but what would a team in need of a LT give up for a guy like this? 

I have to think that Tunsil is another on his way out if there's a Watson trade. He was brought in (at great cost) to protect Watson - if Watson's not here, why bother keeping him around?

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Semi related to this talk - what's the value for LT Laremy Tunsil? One of the top pass blocking LTs in football (but a bit of a slouch in run blocking). 

I don't think anyone is expecting to pay what the Texans paid to land him, but what would a team in need of a LT give up for a guy like this? 

we'd be happy to toss you our 2nd round pick to get him back

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Semi related to this talk - what's the value for LT Laremy Tunsil? One of the top pass blocking LTs in football (but a bit of a slouch in run blocking). I don't think anyone is expecting to pay what the Texans paid to land him, but what would a team in need of a LT give up for a guy like this? 

I have to think that Tunsil is another on his way out if there's a Watson trade. He was brought in (at great cost) to protect Watson - if Watson's not here, why bother keeping him around?

LT all have value.  But I think you’ll need to sell him separately.    And you’ll need the draft to sort out who needs LT after the draft is done. 

8 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

LT all have value.  But I think you’ll need to sell him separately.    And you’ll need the draft to sort out who needs LT after the draft is done. 

I agree with the bold, but I honestly think you can see how day 1 shakes out and then make deals after you know who missed out on the top guys. 

This is more a move for 2022 picks, IMO.

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I agree with the bold, but I honestly think you can see how day 1 shakes out and then make deals after you know who missed out on the top guys. 

This is more a move for 2022 picks, IMO.

You can also get as much value in an early season trade imo.   Someone will likely give a 2022 first if they need LT. It’s just a matter of when. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Expect all the teams that were looking at Stafford to be looking at Carr now.

I'd exclude Denver obviously as can't imagine the Raiders will buck the trend and trade in division. But NE, WFT, Indy and Carolina were all players in the Stafford race, and here's another starting level QB that could be on the market.

Teams like Indy and WFT for example aren't drafting until the 20's so all high ranked QB's could very easily be gone by then, so I imagine they'll be doing their due diligence and making calls to see what Carr can be got for. 

To have enough for Watson though, they'll need a couple of FRP's at least. 

5 minutes ago, PFM18 said:

Expect all the teams that were looking at Stafford to be looking at Carr now.

I'd exclude Denver obviously as can't imagine the Raiders will buck the trend and trade in division. But NE, WFT, Indy and Carolina were all players in the Stafford race, and here's another starting level QB that could be on the market.

Teams like Indy and WFT for example aren't drafting until the 20's so all high ranked QB's could very easily be gone by then, so I imagine they'll be doing their due diligence and making calls to see what Carr can be got for. 

To have enough for Watson though, they'll need a couple of FRP's at least. 

Unless the Raiders are taking back a really bad contract, that's a huge stretch, to say the least.

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

Unless the Raiders are taking back a really bad contract, that's a huge stretch, to say the least.

it is, but to have any real shot at persuading the Texans to trade Watson, I feel they'll need it. 

Both Miami and the Jets are sitting there with 2 1st rounders incl. one at 1.3 and the other at 1.2. They're the teams in the catbird seat to land him and for good reason. 

7 minutes ago, PFM18 said:

it is, but to have any real shot at persuading the Texans to trade Watson, I feel they'll need it. 

Both Miami and the Jets are sitting there with 2 1st rounders incl. one at 1.3 and the other at 1.2. They're the teams in the catbird seat to land him and for good reason. 

Raiders getting late 1sts isn't really going to move the needle for HOU.    Mid-1sts, maybe.  That's part of the reason why McClain reported young players (preferably on the D side) plus picks.   HOU's MO is clearly to try and reload and retool - but not embrace the full rebuild (like CLE did with Sashi Brown, NYJ did last year in jettisoning all their vets who weren't signed long-term at value, and all indications may be happening in DET).

It's an interesting move strategically because LV can piecemeal it with Mariota for a year.   It's no doubt part of a play to try and enter the sweepstakes.   But as you said, other teams have a much stronger hammer.    It's a good move though for LV if the Raiders have concluded they can't go deep into the playoffs with Carr - this is the year to leverage him.   Teams that fit his profile like IND need a QB, so it's the right idea to see if they can move him.   The real Q is how much he (or anyone who's not the key cog, but more part of the machine) gets.

Edited by Broncofan

17 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Raiders getting late 1sts isn't really going to move the needle for HOU.    Mid-1sts, maybe.  That's part of the reason why McClain reported young players (preferably on the D side) plus picks.   HOU's MO is clearly to try and reload and retool - but not embrace the full rebuild (like CLE did with Sashi Brown, NYJ did last year in jettisoning all their vets who weren't signed long-term at value, and all indications may be happening in DET).

It's an interesting move strategically because LV can piecemeal it with Mariota for a year.   It's no doubt part of a play to try and enter the sweepstakes.   But as you said, other teams have a much stronger hammer.    It's a good move though for LV if the Raiders have concluded they can't go deep into the playoffs with Carr - this is the year to leverage him.   Teams that fit his profile like IND need a QB, so it's the right idea to see if they can move him.   The real Q is how much he (or anyone who's not the key cog, but more part of the machine) gets.

HOU may not feel like they're in full rebuild but it sure looks to be the case. 

Watson isn't the only player being talked about. Most seem to think Watt will be gone too. Over the last couple of seasons especially under BOB's watch, talented players have been moving on from Houston and if Watt and Deshaun do go, who realistically do they have on the roster?

Carr being moved on seems to be an annual story. Whether Gruden just doesn't have the belief in him to be his guy who knows but it's never seemed to be a close relationship, as in if he could have the opportunity to get "the guy" or even just a guy he wants, he'd happily move on. Watson being possibly available may just be Gruden's latest opportunity to get someone he'd want. 

If he does want to move on from Carr, I agree now is the time to do it. There's so many teams that need a QB right now that just making someone like Carr available will get phone calls to Mike Mayock. Indy is a team that is the "QB away" from a contender so Chris Ballard will certainly be looking at every option available. 

I personally think both the Dolphins and Jets are interested, and as they know they have the ammunition to do it, are just sitting back for the time being, weighing their options up before making a move. Could be a who blinks first scenario that ultimately gets one of them to play for the trade. 

Edited by PFM18
  • Like 1

There are two parts of the Carr story that most are missing:

1. Teams are approaching the Raiders, not the other way around.

2. The Raiders have built a lot of equity with Carr because a) he had very good seasons in 2020 and 2019, b) he has a very manageable contract, and c) there are a lot of playoff caliber rosters without playoff caliber quarterbacks.

In my opinion, Carr is a better option for most teams than Stafford was. The issue is that the Raiders reportedly haven't been actively looking to trade him so his price will be high--maybe higher than Stafford.