Deshaun Watson officially requests trade

.Buzz

7 minutes ago, Roninho said:

Yeah fair point. 

It's an unprecedented situation - it'll be an interesting case study, and something agents dedicate to memory going forward.

I'm certain every single agent negotiating a 2nd contract for a high performing QB is going to stand on the table for this sort of clause - QBs will give up a few million to secure these agreements. I'm certain we'll see such a clause for Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson and Kyler Murray in the future. 

Watson is bucking a trend and demonstrating a measure of power that very few have in the NFL.

7 hours ago, Broncofan said:

People forget that Gruden was getting north of 6M per year on MNF.   That’s a 20 year gig if he stayed there.   The only way he was leaving was for that kind of mega deal.    Mark Davis was desperate to bring an air of legitimacy especially with the spectre of a move to LV.  

So yeah, Davis is on the hook here.   Crazy it’s going south this quickly but Davis made his bed here. 

7 hours ago, Broncofan said:

When you have a MNF gig it’s a lifetime deal once you’re established (cough not Booger / Witten cough).  It’s not the same as having another coaching gig.   

Gruden was making 6.5M a year with absolute job security.    LV was an org with a long history of futility.   There’s only one way you lure a candidate in that situation.  

It’s just an assumption there’s no “get out” clause. You don’t know there isn’t, just like I don’t, and just like the media talking heads don’t. As @CKSteeler suggests, it would be incredibly unlikely that there’s not some form of severance that would allow the Raiders OR Gruden to get out at some point.

I don’t think his MNF deal is as big a factor as is sometimes made out. Gruden could walk back into an analyst role on TV if he wanted. It might not be at $6.5m per year, but let’s not suggest his career was either MNF for 20 years or 10 years total security with the Raiders. It’s a far more fluid situation than that.

3 hours ago, paul-mac said:

Brees is an all time great and a first ballot HOFer, but I think any team that traded like 4-5 first rounders for Brees entering his prime would have had egg on their face. 

This can't be overstated. 

Brees was a FA with a decent track record who found astounding success in a perfect fit. 

He never had a bad season. The Saints offense never had a bad season. Their at-times atrocious defense is all that ever kept them from the playoffs, despite numerous high picks into the D all the time. 

Should be a lesson that a great QB, even an all-time great, isn't making up for bad defense. Two of Rodgers' achilles heels has long been Green Bay's D and O-line, even though they have often made the playoffs. 

The Raiders have an awful defense. Record settingly bad to be polite. And 3/5 of our O-line could very well be getting replaced despite it being one our few consistent strengths. Hence, I want nothing to do with Watson or his contract. And truth be told, I don't want his personality if he throws in the towel and demands a trade as soon as something doesn't go his way after being paid obscenely, because Mayock and Gruden specifically and the Raiders in general haven't exactly been a bunch of boy scouts in handling problems. 

Any team giving up the house for him is going to have a rapidly closing window practically by default. He's not prime Brees or Rodgers (yet), and even they've fallen short of where consensus believes they should have been for reasons almost exclusively outside of a QB's control. The likelihood that Watson finds a high degree of long term success with the first trade isn't very great. And whatever situation he walks into is bound to get worse before it gets better. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Roninho said:

Raiders and another franchise agree on a compenstation package to trade Carr for which the Raiders that is 24 hours on the table. Raiders then turn around to Texans and offer 4 1st round picks (or whatever it takes) to the Texans and make sure they have 12 hours and then the offer is off the table.

If the Texans take it then the Carr deal goes ahead. If the Texans refuse the Carr deal is off the table.

While Watson would be an upgrade that still doesnt solve the issue at hand which is oline, and the defense. So even if Texans decide to randomly trade away the only asset that can win them games and make the franchise marketable how is this going to solve the Vegas issues? Not to mention Watson has to waive the no trade clause, do you honestly think a guy who has to compete with Trevor Lawrence, unknown in Colts, and Ryan Tannehill to go to a division with not only Mahomes but also Herbert for the next 5+ years. What happens if you try to move Carr and the Texans say no, then what do you do? take the trade back and deal with a now disgruntled QB who would likely want to be moved at that point since he feels disrespected? To me that is playing with fire and an easy way to end up with neither Carr and Watson.

40 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

I think the Jets are the only ones who can pay for watsons price

Dolphins. Dolphins could pony up (with the #3 pick from the Tunsil-to-Houston trade, no less).

If you consider the QBs both teams would throw into the trade, Tua is probably a better/higher upside option over Sam Darnold. If you consider the rumor that the Texans should ask for a high calibur defensive player, Xavian Howard and Quinnen Williams are both similar in regards to being top of their positional group... So that's a push for the most part.

Unless NYJ gave up all four of the FRP they have over the next two years, Miami has just as much of an opportunity.

7 minutes ago, ACO said:

I don't see this ending well whatsoever. The Texans will eventually cave but hopefully they do it before they lost the chance to really get quality capital from this trade.

Does a top 10 starting Qb  under 30 reduce in value?  Hypothetically, let s review the nuclear option for both sides.  Watson stands firm, takes all the fines, misses the entire yr that his contract doesn t even toll.  Still a healthy Qb in the prime of his career.  The Texans still couldn t get multiple first round picks next season?  Watson is not injured, the same amount of teams interested in trading for him wont diminish.  Another year down the road should allow for the pandemic to end hopefully, ensuring more cap certainty for all teams.    Pretty confident the market would still be the same.  

The trading of a player after sitting out a year is not unprecedented.  Example- Sean Gilbert

https://247sports.com/nfl/washington-football-team/Article/LeVeon-Bell-holdout-first-since-Sean-Gilbert-124724618/

2 hours ago, ravishingone said:

Does a top 10 starting Qb  under 30 reduce in value?  Hypothetically, let s review the nuclear option for both sides.  Watson stands firm, takes all the fines, misses the entire yr that his contract doesn t even toll.  Still a healthy Qb in the prime of his career.  The Texans still couldn t get multiple first round picks next season?  Watson is not injured, the same amount of teams interested in trading for him wont diminish.  Another year down the road should allow for the pandemic to end hopefully, ensuring more cap certainty for all teams.    Pretty confident the market would still be the same.  

The trading of a player after sitting out a year is not unprecedented.  Example- Sean Gilbert

https://247sports.com/nfl/washington-football-team/Article/LeVeon-Bell-holdout-first-since-Sean-Gilbert-124724618/

Of course not but things for sure can change in a year. Why delay the inevitable? Especially if you can begin the rebuild now? Deshaun still has say in where he goes and unless he doing some tampering (and we all know they kind of do) and has a gentleman's agreement with a team of choice to... waiting a year makes no sense for either side. Heck they risk alienating yet more players on and off their teams. It is a business but they already a mess. No need to pile it on.

This may have been asked already, so I apologize if so. 

If you're Jacksonville, would YOU kick the tires on Watson?

I know, I know, the Jaguars are taking Trevor Lawrence. And yes, they're in the same division, blah blah blah. 

But getting a bonafide top 5-10 QBb in his prime, a known commodity, as close to a sure thing as you're ever going to get, or, taking what's always a shot in the dark for the hot draft pick? 

If you got to make that choice, which would you go with?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I know, I know, the Jaguars are taking Trevor Lawrence. And yes, they're in the same division, blah blah blah. 

But getting a bonafide top 5-10 QBb in his prime, a known commodity, as close to a sure thing as you're ever going to get, or, taking what's always a shot in the dark for the hot draft pick? 

Nah. We're arguably a worse roster than Houston outside of QB and thus have tons of holes to fill, and we would have to give up important assets in order to acquire Watson. Watson also costs a lot more than Trevor will. 

2 hours ago, ACO said:

Of course not but things for sure can change in a year. Why delay the inevitable? Especially if you can begin the rebuild now? Deshaun still has say in where he goes and unless he doing some tampering (and we all know they kind of do) and has a gentleman's agreement with a team of choice to... waiting a year makes no sense for either side. Heck they risk alienating yet more players on and off their teams. It is a business but they already a mess. No need to pile it on.

Well the organization doesn t have to trade him unless they get an offer that they like and Watson agrees to with NTC clause.  

Watson only signed his extension last season.  Easterby has been in the organization already and Watson still signed the extension.  Happy for him get life changing money for him and his family for generations to come.   He s so good his value won t go down in a calendar year.  For all the bluster that Watson wants to go to Miami maybe the Texans feel Tua really sucks and outside Lawrence there are no franchise QBs in this draft.  Who knows.

29 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

It's one of those situations where I have no problems with it either way. I'd get that move from both parties, I'd get both parties saying no.