Deshaun Watson officially requests trade

.Buzz

On 2/5/2021 at 9:37 AM, ronjon1990 said:

Should be a lesson that a great QB, even an all-time great, isn't making up for bad defense. Two of Rodgers' achilles heels has long been Green Bay's D and O-line, even though they have often made the playoffs. 

Any team giving up the house for him is going to have a rapidly closing window practically by default. He's not prime Brees or Rodgers (yet), and even they've fallen short of where consensus believes they should have been for reasons almost exclusively outside of a QB's control. The likelihood that Watson finds a high degree of long term success with the first trade isn't very great. And whatever situation he walks into is bound to get worse before it gets better. 

I mean, you could say the exact same thing for a team with multiple picks in the first round (even in consecutive years) - when was the last time that team went to multiple SBs/became perennial SB contenders? The Cowboys? 

Going to multiple SBs or even being a contender team year-in, year-out has a lot more to it than QBs or FRPs. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30853055/sources-houston-texans-insist-other-teams-trade-deshaun-watson

My goodness, the Texans are going to be a train wreck in coming years.

"One player privately commented to ESPN that the Texans are weeding out employees who were not hired by executive vice president Jack Easterby and new general manager Nick Caserio, replacing them with employees who will be indebted to them for their work."One player privately commented to ESPN that the Texans are weeding out employees who were not hired by executive vice president Jack Easterby and new general manager Nick Caserio, replacing them with employees who will be indebted to them for their work.

Edited by Superduperman

13 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30853055/sources-houston-texans-insist-other-teams-trade-deshaun-watson

"One player privately commented to ESPN that the Texans are weeding out employees who were not hired by executive vice president Jack Easterby and new general manager Nick Caserio, replacing them with employees who will be indebted to them for their work."One player privately commented to ESPN that the Texans are weeding out employees who were not hired by executive vice president Jack Easterby and new general manager Nick Caserio, replacing them with employees who will be indebted to them for their work.

Crazy...

Maybe the league can revisit the 2002 expansion... who were the backup cities?
Like how can you let things get this bad as an owner?

30 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

The easiest thing would have been to fire Easterby or move him to a different non football related industry before all this nonsense happened. But no, some people just rather do the hard things in life.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

It is not uncommon for organizational changes to happen when a new GM is hired.  The whole "indebited to them" is a nice touch.

I do wonder if this player has played for a team when there was a GM/HC change.  BOB was there a long time by NFL standards.

Don t get me wrong, these changes could be for the worse.  However. to frame it like this usually doesn t happen in the NFL  is lacking in truth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ravishingone said:

It is not uncommon for organizational changes to happen when a new GM is hired.  The whole "indebited to them" is a nice touch.

I do wonder if this player has played for a team when there was a GM/HC change.  BOB was there a long time by NFL standards.

Don t get me wrong, these changes could be for the worse.  However. to frame it like this usually doesn t happen in the NFL  is lacking in truth.

The issue is not with executives bringing in their guys, yes that happens all the time.

The issue is that one of the executives, the one seemingly running things, is a con artist. Thats a problem.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, DigInBoys said:

Neither side seeming to budge, this could get really bad.

Not really. This is what happens when you give a player a No Trade Clause in his contract. The only Bad thing that will occur is the compensation they get from Miami since that's obviously his destination of choice.

What makes it even worse is going to be the comparisons to the Stafford trade. Then it will become comical. 

2 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Not really. This is what happens when you give a player a No Trade Clause in his contract. The only Bad thing that will occur is the compensation they get from Miami since that's obviously his destination of choice.

What if the Texans don't budge?

I'm really lost on this train of thought.

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I mean then they're incompetent because they'll never get more value than right now and also they need to do it right now to get that value to start the genuine rebuild.

But, the Texans ARE incompetent as evidenced by letting it get this far in the first place so haha guess we're in for another year of this.

9 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

I mean then they're incompetent because they'll never get more value than right now and also they need to do it right now to get that value to start the genuine rebuild.

But, the Texans ARE incompetent as evidenced by letting it get this far in the first place so haha guess we're in for another year of this.

Bingo - this isn't about value, this is Trent Williams all over again.

He'll be moved, but on the Texans schedule.

13 minutes ago, ET80 said:

If the Texans don’t budge it really moves forward into a two result outcome. Either Watson caves or he doesn’t. If Watson caves they’re able to keep their franchise quarterback but have the constant threat of his unhappiness lingering. If Watson actually refuses to play, they get stuck trading him later on, and stunt the rebuild a year if the trade happens after the draft. Even worse for ownership, the Texans have no picks so they get stuck with no Watson and no other marketable players to hype up when selling tickets for the upcoming season. If Watson sticks to his guns, I think he gets traded before or during the draft. I just can’t see an ownership group wanting to risk starting a season with no rookies and no star QB. 

35 minutes ago, winitall said:

I just can’t see an ownership group wanting to risk starting a season with no rookies and no star QB. 

This is how a logical person thinks, sure.

Nothing about the people running the Texans seem to hint that logic is dictating anything.