Deshaun Watson officially requests trade

.Buzz

1 hour ago, winitall said:

If the Texans don’t budge it really moves forward into a two result outcome. Either Watson caves or he doesn’t. If Watson caves they’re able to keep their franchise quarterback but have the constant threat of his unhappiness lingering. If Watson actually refuses to play, they get stuck trading him later on, and stunt the rebuild a year if the trade happens after the draft. Even worse for ownership, the Texans have no picks so they get stuck with no Watson and no other marketable players to hype up when selling tickets for the upcoming season. If Watson sticks to his guns, I think he gets traded before or during the draft. I just can’t see an ownership group wanting to risk starting a season with no rookies and no star QB. 

TV contract revenue and broadcasting rights are the major sources of income.  If the Texans only evaluate Lawrence as a franchise QB, why would they be inclined to move him?  Watson s trade value is not going to decrease a year from now if he even sits.  

If Watson sits for a yr would he be more or less inclined to expand his no trade list?  Neither side has an inordinate amount of leverage on the other now or a year from now.  Hence the stand off.

58 minutes ago, ET80 said:

This is how a logical person thinks, sure.

Nothing about the people running the Texans seem to hint that logic is dictating anything. 

Not gonna lie, as a Broncos fan I'm hoping the Texans mess up and hold out until post-draft. That way the Broncos can load up on picks and possibly get Watson for even less... that's assuming he would pick the Broncos at that point. It'll be interesting to see how the offseason unfolding would affect his leverage and which teams he wants to play for. 

2 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

TV contract revenue and broadcasting rights are the major sources of income.  If the Texans only evaluate Lawrence as a franchise QB, why would they be inclined to move him?  Watson s trade value is not going to decrease a year from now if he even sits.  

If Watson sits for a yr would he be more or less inclined to expand his no trade list?  Neither side has an inordinate amount of leverage on the other now or a year from now.  Hence the stand off.

Good point...

25 minutes ago, DawgX said:

What would you be comfortable giving up for the Broncos to acquire Watson?

You'll get differing opinions of course, but one of the typical offers floating around is 2021, 2022 frp and 2nds, Bradley Chubb and one of KJ Hamler/Noah Fant/possibly Jeudy. 

You can play with picks, maybe throw in some 2023 picks (really, really prefer not to throw in that frp but assuming Watson is what you think he'll be, that's a pick in the late twenties anyway).

33 minutes ago, DawgX said:

What would you be comfortable giving up for the Broncos to acquire Watson?

1 minute ago, rcpbawler said:

You'll get differing opinions of course, but one of the typical offers floating around is 2021, 2022 frp and 2nds, Bradley Chubb and one of KJ Hamler/Noah Fant/possibly Jeudy. 

You can play with picks, maybe throw in some 2023 picks (really, really prefer not to throw in that frp but assuming Watson is what you think he'll be, that's a pick in the late twenties anyway).

I’d do everything in that offer except Jeudy.   Watson - Jeudy will be like ARod - Adams / Watson - Nuk / Brady - Edelman.   Guy who beats ppl in all phases of game.   No problem with either Fant / Hamler.   I’d even do Sutton before Jeudy given year 1 post ACL usually not at peak and he’s going to get expensive.   Plus we have a guy who does 80-90 percent of Sutton’s peak in Tim Patrick (that difference is important - but Patrick is also way cheaper, and it keeps the roles separated nicely).  

Jeudy / Patrick / Hamler isn’t quite as good a top 3 WR corps as peak-level Sutton replacing Patrick (duh) but with Watson it doesn’t matter as much, and you get complementary skill sets for all 3 spots (rather than Sutton & Patrick who have similar ways they win)  - and it’s a lot cheaper.   Other intangible - Sutton is a very spiritual Christian (yes it matters to HOU).  

If we only deal 2 guys (Lock, Chubb) then making one of those 2nds a 2023 1st I’d live with.  If it’s 3 guys then I’d be ok with 2 1sts & other day 2 picks.   

4 hours ago, Broncofan said:

I’d do everything in that offer except Jeudy.   Watson - Jeudy will be like ARod - Adams / Watson - Nuk / Brady - Edelman.   Guy who beats ppl in all phases of game.   No problem with either Fant / Hamler.   I’d even do Sutton before Jeudy given year 1 post ACL usually not at peak and he’s going to get expensive.   Plus we have a guy who does 80-90 percent of Sutton’s peak in Tim Patrick (that difference is important - but Patrick is also way cheaper, and it keeps the roles separated nicely).  

Jeudy / Patrick / Hamler isn’t quite as good a top 3 WR corps as peak-level Sutton replacing Patrick (duh) but with Watson it doesn’t matter as much, and you get complementary skill sets for all 3 spots (rather than Sutton & Patrick who have similar ways they win)  - and it’s a lot cheaper.   Other intangible - Sutton is a very spiritual Christian (yes it matters to HOU).  

If we only deal 2 guys (Lock, Chubb) then making one of those 2nds a 2023 1st I’d live with.  If it’s 3 guys then I’d be ok with 2 1sts & other day 2 picks.   

Troy Renck just said on The Fan he doesn’t think they’d include Fant as TEs are harder to find than WRs. he says a WR + either Chubb or Jones is more likely. 

After Jeudy totally be-clowned himself a couple weeks ago and cost us two games with all of his drops, I’d be fine shipping him out as part of a Watson deal. We’d still have Sutton, Patrick, Hamlet, Fant and Albert O., plenty of talent for Shurmur to misuse and with whom Watson can put up Star Wars numbers. 

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Troy Renck just said on The Fan he doesn’t think they’d include Fant as TEs are harder to find than WRs. he says a WR + either Chubb or Jones is more likely. 

After Jeudy totally be-clowned himself a couple weeks ago and cost us two games with all of his drops, I’d be fine shipping him out as part of a Watson deal. We’d still have Sutton, Patrick, Hamlet, Fant and Albert O., plenty of talent for Shurmur to misuse and with whom Watson can put up Star Wars numbers. 

That interview is a nothing burger.    Re: who to trade, Sutton & Patrick both win in the same areas, and Sutton's about to get really expensive.   Plus, Sutton's first year from ACL surgery is more likely to underperform expectations from his peak, given it takes 18 months to get to full explosion (he'll play, play well - but nothing like his peak physical form - that's 2022).  It's actually the time to leverage Sutton's value.    He'll probably be seen as an upgrade over Fant, and that only works in our favor.  Plus - his strong Christian faith will be another plus for Easterby & Houston (dead serious...sadly for their fans, lol).

For all those that say Lamb should have been the pick - he actually had the same number of drops as Jeudy.  Jeudy wins in areas that other WR's on our team don't.   The drops aren't a Sammy Coates bad hands issue, so they're entirely fixable.    If we can get away from trading anyone other than Jeudy (and I agree TE is better to preserve), it's a huge win.    Watson - Jeudy would be equivalent to Watson - Nuk, ARod - Adams, Brady-Edelman, etc.    I'll plant my flag there.

As for Chubb / Jones - again, we'd be better off with offering Chubb.  More "name" value, the bulk stats are shiny - and he's about to get expensive, where a ton of his value diminishes greatly.    And again, he's got a really strong Christian faith background.   Ironically, including Chubb/Sutton would on the surface "increase" our offer over other WR/Jones - but given the first 2 guys are about to get paid 15M+ and 16-20M+ AAV, the Chubb/Sutton/Lock package probably helps us more in the long run.

Edited by Broncofan

4 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Yeah, I'd try super hard to hold on to Jeudy. I think his value right now is probably a 2022 frp so if it could save that I'd consider it. He got davanta Adams potential, just needs to clean up the drops. Sutton, is probably more valuable to the team (coming off ACL, 1 year remaining etc) so I don't think that's a move but who knows. 

As for Fant, it would hurt to lose him but I'm pretty bullish on Albert O. Small sample size (and coming off an ACL, so likely not 100% next season) but he looked every bit the athlete of Fant and even more fluid tbh. Needs to clean up a lot of things but loads of potential.