Deshaun Watson officially requests trade

.Buzz

It's common knowledge that Watson's publicly doubled down with Houston...

The HOU FO position isn't new, but the buyers' approach is somewhat unique (LOL).....

The joke's on the other teams.  The Texans likely didn't spring for the voice mail option in their phone plan.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The Texans likely didn't spring for the voice mail option in their phone plan.

Cal probably forgot his password to his VM, so might as well throw that message into a hole.

Watson is going to sit out. The NFL is a better place if Watson is playing - no matter where it is.

Alright I know I'm a little late but I'll explain why I think not caving to the trade demand is the only good thing the front office might do this offseason.

So we'll start with being clear upfront that that our FO is horrendous and Easterby is the devil. He needs to go. I don't and am not defending anything they have done with this organization up to this point. My belief in not caving is based on what has already happened so it can't be taken back.

Watson is signed through 2025. He isn't an imminent FA. That is important. All this talk about him never being more valuable than now may be true, but it isn't like trade him or lose him. Same with saying the no trade clause gives him leverage. If he wants out that bad he'll have to accept what they agree to if they so choose (which I wouldn't). Regardless of what we get a QB like Watson you don't give away for any reason. It doesn't matter what we get we can never ensure we get the QB quality that is necessary. And I go back to the start of this reasoning. He is signed through 2025. This isn't Leveon Bell who can sit a season and the sign elsewhere. If the FO holds Watson will either play or retire. If he retires, then so be it, I'll take the chance it wouldn't do that. If he plays you have 5 years of his play, I for one think he has too much integrity to not do is best if for no other reason than his teammates. And in that time maybe Easterby is fired or maybe he likes the coaches enough. Or we get a few years of top QB play and can trade him with a year or 2 remaining. Rebuilding may be needed but he is too good to give up for a rebuild. You try to figure things out with him first.

• Like 3

So what has happened since Watson signed his extension on Sept 5th 2020 to now to make this situation so toxic?

Houston loses to KC in the Divisional round in 2019 playoffs.  

March 2020, HOU trades Hopkins to ARI 

April 2020, HOU trades for Cooks

Sept 5th, Watson signs 4 year $156M extension

HOU 2020 season does not go as likely was anticipated, Bill O'Brien is fired mid season.

HOU signs Caserio as GM in early Jan

14 hours ago, squire12 said:

So what has happened since Watson signed his extension on Sept 5th 2020 to now to make this situation so toxic?

Start here:

HOU 2020 season does not go as likely was anticipated, Bill O'Brien is fired mid season.

This is when Easterby starts consolidating power inside the building... The situation becomes toxic as Easterby turns the Texans into his own pulpit. Reports are he'd conspire against football and non-football people alike, he'd call people's family members to tell them "he's worried" about someone not listening or reflecting on his advice - none of which was solicited, mind you.

A few unnamed sources even felt as if Easterby was having people followed and monitored outside of work - who they're hanging out with, what they're doing outside of work - real stalker level stuff. Easterby would also brag about how he'd grill people in interviews, getting them to "admit to whatever he wanted them to admit to" per sources.

It's outlined here:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/12/10/ex-chaplain-jack-easterby-houston-texans-chaos-after-power-struggle-daily-cover

And further expounded upon here:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/01/16/texans-chaos-deshaun-watson-unhappy-how-jack-easterby-kept-his-job

HOU signs Caserio as GM in early Jan

This is when Easterby flexes his power - reports had Omar Khan negotiating with Jamey Rootes and Korn Ferry when Easterby went to Cal McNair's house to "pray on this decision". That prayer meeting was interrupted by agent Bob LaMonte (agent to Caserio and Easterby) called Cal to advise that Caserio was going to take the Carolina job, and was going to take Easterby with him (none of which has been corroborated by anyone). Cal makes an executive decision to hire Caserio - without telling Rootes or the search firm, neither of which had Caserio on the radar. Rootes, Watson found out about the same way we did - via social media. Rootes tenders his resignation, Watson makes his trade demand, but the Texans don't acknowledge either until after Caserio finalizes his deal. Rootes is asked to stay on until the HC search is done (probably with a significant golden parachute) and Watson is basically ignored to this point.

I really ask for everyone to read that article - I'm almost certain Amy Palcic is a source, but there are about 20 sources inside the building corroborating the story. Easterby himself is quoted in the 2nd story, and you see him flat out caught in multiple lies in his quotes.

It's a far cry from the team that was a few pieces away from beating KC in the playoffs...

• Like 12

You know that scene in medieval-themed movies where there's a feast, and the immature, foolish king is laughing hysterically and clapping at some low-brow, stupid thing the court jester is doing, and all the other guests are looking at each other, trying to figure out if the king is serious, then eventually join in the laughing and clapping to appease him while giving each other the side eye?

Cal is that king, Easterby is that jester and he definitely has no higher brow material, and everyone in the Texans facility and fanbase are the incredulous, trapped guests, hoping the fail-king and his moron jester will get deposed.

Enjoy that random analogy, and be glad you aren't a Texans fan.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Texans02 said:

You know that scene in medieval-themed movies where there's a feast, and the immature, foolish king is laughing hysterically and clapping at some low-brow, stupid thing the court jester is doing, and all the other guests are looking at each other, trying to figure out if the king is serious, then eventually join in the laughing and clapping to appease him while giving each other the side eye?

Cal is that king, Easterby is that jester and he definitely has no higher brow material, and everyone in the Texans facility and fanbase are the incredulous, trapped guests, hoping the fail-king and his moron jester will get deposed.

Enjoy that random analogy, and be glad you aren't a Texans fan.

Done, and done.

2 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

Sounds about right.  The only other team I'd consider switching to is a raging dumpster fire.

If you can get tickets to the raging dumpster fire... I'll go with you. 

I'll bring beer.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

what are the Odds that he is a Dolphin? because that is the only logical destination in terms of compensation 

FoxBet App shows

Texans +100

Panthers +250

Broncos +333

Dolphins +700

Jets +800

49ers +900

Washington 14/1

Pats 15/1

Bears 17/1