Deshaun Watson officially requests trade

.Buzz

2 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

This guy seems shady

He is. He just ran for mayor of Houston and lost. He tries to inject himself into Houston, but he's nothing more than an ambulance chaser. I've seen his car in downtown before - Pearl White Rolls Royce, with "Buzbee" vanity plates, a totally obnoxious car for a totally obnoxious person. 

He was driving the "Pick Johnny Manziel at #1" bus back in 2014 (yes, that bus existed).

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/billboard-pushes-johnny-manziel/story?id=22214547

2 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

Lastly, if the conspiracy theories are somehow founded to have even a little bit of truth regarding this being a elaborate smear campaign on Watson and Cal knowing or being involved, he should immediately lose all ownership rights ASAP. It’d also lead to one of the craziest sports stories of all time, if that was/is the case

I totally agree, but... how do you prove this? Guys like Cal and Buzbee are aware enough to not get engaged deep enough to get their hands dirty on such an effort. I think common sense tells us there's fire to this smoke between Cal and Buzbee, but you need tangible evidence to act upon. If you have that tangible evidence of colluding to smear? Holy moly, I'm running in the streets celebrating. Everyone in Houston is joining me, too. But... how can you get that tangible evidence?

This divorce is getting incredibly ugly - uglier than anything we saw before, and it was incredibly ugly to begin with. Deshaun Watson is not going to play in Houston again, but now it's very personal, beyond football and locker room culture. I'm starting to get the feeling that Watson isn't going to play football next season - the Texans will not trade him and force him to sit a season, just out of spite. 

6 hours ago, Malfatron said:

Deshuan just has to play ball and go to the highest bidder, and this all goes away

Yea these "No trade" clauses are just dumb

If you really want out, you'll go to Miami or New York 

And if im the Texans id straight up tell him that we are only going to take the best offer or your *** can sit out all year for all we care

Denver or SanFran can't offer nearly close to what Miami or New York can, draft capital wise

33 minutes ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

And if im the Texans id straight up tell him that we are only going to take the best offer or your *** can sit out all year for all we care

Clearly it's more complicated than that, isn't it?

Him sitting all year means:

a) his trade value goes down
b) you (the Texans) are answering questions all year about it
c) you are paying a large chunk of your cap for zero contribution on the field
d) your locker room discontent is palpable

Frankly, it's ridiculous when people say stuff like, "like it or lump it". The Texans, both on the field and off the field, are in no position to leverage a franchise QB. This isn't the Steelers playing hard ball with Leveon Bell, is it?

You are (at best) naive if you think him just sitting out and not playing is an option here. He is either traded or somehow a resolution is found and he plays. That is it.

Edited by lomaxgrUK

11 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Clearly it's more complicated than that, isn't it?

Him sitting all year means:

Frankly, it's ridiculous when people say stuff like, "like it or lump it". The Texans, both on the field and off the field, are in no position to leverage a franchise QB. This isn't the Steelers playing hard ball with Leveon Bell, is it?

You are (at best) naive if you think him just sitting out and not playing is an option here. He is either traded or somehow a resolution is found and he plays. That is it.

See thats the problem 

This isn't a rational situation 

Its simple , you signed a contract,  whether you like it or not

He has no leverage

And if you think his trade value will go down significantly just because he sits a year you are mistaken, he is so young you could fetch multiple 1sts next year too

Obviously Watson doesn't want to be there so he better accept a trade or strap in

I dont think that FO cares too much about the "discontent " or having to answer questions 

The cap hit , yea, is an issue, but again they don't seem to have issues with making stupid decisions

They could fine him to no end and get most of the money back if he sits too 

Edited by BucsDraftGeek47

To add to the point above, Houston isn't winning jack this year without Watson (didn't win jack with him last year either), so tanking this season is almost a foregone conclusion.  Taking the hard line with Watson could prevent someone else from trying to hardball them in the future.  No matter how stupid the decision, their future threats would carry weight.

• Like 1

OK, let's break this down. 

1 hour ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

Does it? Is he still not a QB in his mid 20s with franchise QB potential? 

If anything, a year away might get some of that wear and tear behind that Texans OL healed up. It's not traditional, but it could play in his favor. 

1 hour ago, lomaxgrUK said:

And that's different than now because...?

The Texans are absolutely tone deaf - even BEFORE this. (DeAndre Hopkins for a 2nd!? Remember, that happened - and 2/3 of that braintrust is still making decisions). They've demonstrated they don't care about negative perception. 

Also - I can't substantiate this, but I believe this is why David Culley was the pick at HC. Culley will collect a massive retirement fund while taking arrows for this house on fire. He's the dog in the burning house, saying "This is Fine".

Watson's cap hit is only about $15mm this season. Next year, it goes up to $30+mm. (And "Next year" is only applicable if Watson plays 10 games next season - if he truly sits, his contract doesn't toll for this season - we learned that when Lev Bell sat out while tagged).

Heck, this has been the case since Gary Kubiak was fired in 2013. Much like point b, the Texans simply do not care. Just about every Texas worth a damn has spoken out about it - Andre Johnson, Arian Foster, Duane Brown, JD Clowney... and now Watson. (JJ said a lot by requesting his release, IMO). I'm sure we'll hear from Will Fuller once his new deal is signed elsewhere. Same with new Dolphin Bernardrick McKinney. Kareem Jackson allegedly told people to stay away from Houston. 

This dysfunction isn't new, it's just public now. And the Texans don't care.

Lev Bell had an out in that he wasn't signed. Watson is signed for five years - at a minimum of 10 games a year. 

As others have said (including myself, who is THE resident expert on the Texans) this franchise is petty and vindictive. They have absolutely no compunction in making Watson sit, fining him and not giving into his trade demands. They don't lose anything they haven't already lost - fans, media, perception - that's already burned to a crisp. 

This is Trent Williams all over again. Williams had to fully sit for a year before he was moved for much less than market value - I anticipate a similar situation with Watson (unless the league stepped in to protect an emerging superstar - which could happen, we're in uncharted territory).

TL;DR - Texans are irrational. Don't assume they'll act logically on this. They'll take a significant loss on value and alienate themselves from the fans, locker and media to win a pissing contest. 

- A former fan

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

OK, let's break this down. 

Does it? Is he still not a QB in his mid 20s with franchise QB potential? 

If anything, a year away might get some of that wear and tear behind that Texans OL healed up. It's not traditional, but it could play in his favor. 

And that's different than now because...?

The Texans are absolutely tone deaf - even BEFORE this. They've demonstrated they don't care about negative perception. 

Also - I can't substantiate this, but I believe this is why David Culley was the pick at HC.

Watson's cap hit is only about $15mm this season. Next year, it goes up to $30+mm. (And "Next year" is only applicable if Watson plays 10 games next season - if he truly sits, his contract doesn't toll for this season).

Heck, this has been the case since Gary Kubiak was fired in 2013. Much like point b, the Texans simply do not care. 

Lev Bell had an out in that he wasn't signed. Watson is signed for five years - at a minimum of 10 games a year. 

As others have said (including myself, who is THE resident expert on the Texans) this franchise is petty and vindictive. They have absolutely no compunction in making Watson sit, fining him and not giving into his trade demands. 

This is Trent Williams all over again. Williams had to fully sit for a year before he was moved for much less than market value - I anticipate a similar situation with Watson (unless the league stepped in to protect an emerging superstar - which could happen, we're in uncharted territory).

TL;DR - Texans are irrational. Don't assume they'll act logically on this. They'll take a significant loss on value and alienate themselves from the locker and media to win a pissing contest. 

To be clear - if Houston doesn’t trade Watson by the start of the regular season - Watson’s smartest move is to let the holdout extend to week 10.   Then report for the last 6 games.   That way the contract tolls for 2021 and then start again.  Like Leveon Bell & MG3 did.    The minimum is 6 games from before, not 10 - I don’t see that change in last years CBA revision (stand corrected if that was revised but no stories reference this).  

• Like 2

Just now, Broncofan said:

To be clear - if Houston doesn’t trade Watson by the start of the regular season - Watson’s smartest move is to let the holdout extend to week 10.   Then report for the last 6 games.   That way the contract tolls for 2021 and then start again.  Like Leveon Bell & MG3 did.    The minimum is 6 games from before, not 10 - I don’t see that change in last years CBA revision (stand corrected if that was revised but no stories reference this).  

I get those numbers flip flopped. You have to excuse me, I'm running on fumes at this point.

This whole situation has literally ruined my fandom. 

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I get those numbers flip flopped. You have to excuse me, I'm running on fumes at this point.

This whole situation has literally ruined my fandom. 

Hang in there.   Eventually it will end.   Hopefully there’s a trail to this latest event.   That would offer real hope to the Texan fanbase if McNairs were involved in last nights events.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

What teams would you like to see Watson on?

I think Denver and San Francisco would be very good landing spots for him. I like Miami for him, but he doesn't seem to like it (or does he?) It's a long-to-impossible shot, but I would love him in New Orleans or Pittsburgh. Atlanta, perhaps? Julio and Calvin would be a great duo to watch him work with. Carolina would be a fun situation (contingent they don't lose McCaffrey or Moore in any deal). New England, simply for the "FU" heel turn, of course. 

I'm pretty open for him, for the most part. 

• Like 1

Texans are going to be forced to trade Watson (sometime before there by-week, if he is still sitting out), however I can't see it lasting that long. The bad press Houston will get for this, will be 10x worse then any other player who has ever sat out in the NFL before.

Its just a matter of when. If they wait too long, the price is going to drop like a lot. His value is slowly dropping, with everyday in Free Agency, as teams say "screw it, I'm signing this stop gap" ... if they dont move him before the draft, his value will drop again as teams actually draft QBs and prefer to move future picks instead of 2021 picks. You enter training camp, now your looking at a handful of teams (with maybe Watson signing off on a deal to a 'different' team).

12 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Texans are going to be forced to trade Watson (sometime before there by-week, if he is still sitting out), however I can't see it lasting that long. The bad press Houston will get for this, will be 10x worse then any other player who has ever sat out in the NFL before.

I would agree with you, this is a rational thought. Nobody involved in this current situation is rational, though, and the Texans don't care about bad press. They've convinced themselves that THEY'RE in the right and everyone else is crazy. 

14 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Its just a matter of when.

I'm bracing for an NFL season without Watson, tbh. He's not going to play because Houston won't trade him.