Deshaun Watson officially requests trade

.Buzz

Just now, THE DUKE said:

If the Texans don't care about perception (and all signs point to that they don't) then it doesn't really matter how big the tempest in a teapot gets, they won't care.

The preception/ negative culture hasn't grown enough yet. Give it time to manifest the closer we draw to season opener.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CriminalMind said:

It's still the off season.

And this has been the headline story since the SB - pretty much as soon as Nick Caserio was hired, before the playoffs started. It was a headline leading into the SB - it's been magnified as much as it could be, and the Texans stayed the course. 

I sincerely think you underestimate how in the negative the Texans are willing to go.

3 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Can't compare the current level of attention/outcry to the future level that will grow exponetionally.

You have to understand that illogical people don't behave like the rest of us - if you're on a righteous crusade grounded in a belief system (I'm trying to be subtle with that specific line) then nothing will deter you.

hey FF can we not do the whole “doubting a woman accusing someone of assault because of a grand conspiracy based on an Instagram post made in 2014”... it’s a bad look. Deshaun Watson deserves a presumption of innocence for sure, but this neighbour thing is not some legal dynamite find that people seem to think it is. There are only so many rich guy gated communities in a given city. As well, this lawyer may seem scummy but this type of move that people are framing it as would be done at the risk of his entire legal career which seems to be prettttttyyyy lucrative. 

let’s wait for actual facts to come out before we make a judgment. Doubting the woman because 7 years ago someone made an Instagram post about being neighbours is just..... not a good look. Assuming Deshaun did it and burying him would also be very problematic and it’s own kind of miscarriage of justice. Let’s just let this play out.

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, CriminalMind said:

The preception/ negative culture hasn't grown enough yet. Give it time to manifest the closer we draw to season opener.

As an experienced fan of a team with a crotchety old owner who doesn't know what he's doing (thanks Mike Brown), I think you are underestimating the ability of these owners to throw everything away to get their way.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Sure, but that wasn't my point. The precedent exists that the general interest of the league is a pattern here. If the Texans are staring at multiple market-setting type offers, other owners aren't going to say "you can't weigh in here". That ship saied.

At that point, the league needs Watson to open up his list by waiving his no-trade clause for everyone - not just Denver and SF. 

That's a huge component to this as well, and that's a contractual stipulation that can't be brushed off by other owners in the interest of the league. 

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

At that point, the league needs Watson to open up his list by waiving his no-trade clause for everyone - not just Denver and SF. 

That's the kicker.  The owners aren't going to pressure the Texans to get some lowball offer for Watson, because that would seriously come back and bite them all in the *** when their diva star player tries the same thing.  It's taking at a minimum 3 1st rd picks and a player or two.  If that doesn't happen, I fully expect the Texans to dig in WITH the (private) support of all the other owners.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

That's the kicker.  The owners aren't going to pressure the Texans to get some lowball offer for Watson, because that would seriously come back and bite them all in the *** when their diva star player tries the same thing.  It's taking at a minimum 3 1st rd picks and a player or two.  If that doesn't happen, I fully expect the Texans to dig in WITH the (private) support of all the other owners.

Man inter-league collusion against labor is always so gross. Makes my skin crawl just thinking about it and knowing you're 100% right they definitely want this to go away so they never have to worry about a player demanding this again.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

hey FF can we not do the whole “doubting a woman accusing someone of assault because of a grand conspiracy based on an Instagram post made in 2014”... it’s a bad look. Deshaun Watson deserves a presumption of innocence for sure, but this neighbour thing is not some legal dynamite find that people seem to think it is. There are only so many rich guy gated communities in a given city. As well, this lawyer may seem scummy but this type of move that people are framing it as would be done at the risk of his entire legal career which seems to be prettttttyyyy lucrative. 

let’s wait for actual facts to come out before we make a judgment. Doubting the woman because 7 years ago someone made an Instagram post about being neighbours is just..... not a good look. Assuming Deshaun did it and burying him would also be very problematic and it’s own kind of miscarriage of justice. Let’s just let this play out.

I'm going to wait for the facts to come out before reaching any conclusions, as I'm sure most ppl will do.   It's just not that hard to be skeptical not because it's not possible - but because the circumstances around the public disclosure are incredibly unusual:

1.   Lawyer posts on IG before a court filing.   We all know it's a civil case, so it doesn't really impact pre-trial...but it's still incredibly suspect.  No lawyer involved in civil cases would say this is the normal MO.

2. To say that the IG post is rather wild...is an understatement.   Heck, half of it is more about the lawyer, than it is on Watson.

3.   The same lawyer is known for his lawsuits, and publicity-seeking moves.   

4.   Same lawyer says it's not about the money - when the initial approach was for a financial settlement.   That's always a red flag.

Sticking to football - when you look at the above - it's hard to think this case impacts Watson's football outlook, or how other teams view him.   The facts of the actual complaint aren't out yet, so there's no final judgment, but the start is so far from the usual process, I don't blame the reaction for being skeptical.     

The only thing that would have made it more out of left field is a press conference held at Four Seasons Total Landscaping.    Maybe that's on the docket for today.  We'll see.

Edited by Broncofan

17 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Did they?

(Understand, I know much more about both of those teams than you do).

Lol, ooohhhh.  There’s Google.  Knowing how many postseason wins and appearances a team has doesn’t make you special anymore.

I’m trolling you, ET.  The Texans are my second favorite team.  They have been since they took Darren Sharper’s brother in the expansion free agent thing.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I'm going to wait for the facts to come out before reaching any conclusions.   It's not hard to be skeptical not because it's not possible - but the circumstances around the public disclosure are incredibly unusual:

1.   Lawyer posts on IG before a court filing.   We all know it's a civil case, so it doesn't really impact pre-trial...but it's still incredibly suspect.  No lawyer involved in civil cases would say this is the normal MO.

2. To say that the IG post is rather wild...is an understatement.   Heck, half of it is more about the lawyer, than it is on Watson.

3.   The same lawyer is known for his lawsuits, and publicity-seeking moves.   

4.   Same lawyer says it's not about the money - when the initial approach was for a financial settlement.   That's always a red flag.

Sticking to football - when you look at the above - it's hard to think this case impacts Watson's football outlook, or how other teams view him.   The facts of the actual complaint aren't out yet, so there's no final judgment, but the start is so far from the usual process, I don't blame the reaction for being skeptical.   

But those 4 things are possible AND a woman still could have been assaulted by the accused. Just because the approach is unorthodox it doesn’t mean the content of the suit is untrue. The large public persona of a lawyer is irrelevant to the content of a case. That’s the way the legal system works.

All these “daggers” being raised are completely irrelevant to the content of a case, court procedures, and the facts. So if a suit has been or is being filed, let’s just let the procedure handle this before we bury the accuser based on our opinion of the lawyer. Just because a lawyer uses Instagram or ran for mayor one time, doesn’t make his client a liar. It’s for the court to figure out what is happening.

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Being a fan of democracy, I'm going to put this to a vote:

I hereby would like to vote for a 1 week @Outpost31 treatment of the 5 figure club, wherein we generally berate him for this post. I would have said 2 weeks, but he did preface it with an "urgh", showing how begrudgingly he meant it, and also prefacing it AFTER THE FACT (that's what costs you here my friend) with a pure business model. Let the court proceedings commence.

@Dome @LETSGOBROWNIES @Forge @ET80 @Malfatron

Imo, only Outpost deserves to be treated like Outpost.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Being a fan of democracy, I'm going to put this to a vote:

I hereby would like to vote for a 1 week @Outpost31 treatment of the 5 figure club, wherein we generally berate him for this post. I would have said 2 weeks, but he did preface it with an "urgh", showing how begrudgingly he meant it, and also prefacing it AFTER THE FACT (that's what costs you here my friend) with a pure business model. Let the court proceedings commence.

@Dome @LETSGOBROWNIES @Forge @ET80 @Malfatron

I say we skip the proceedings and kick him in the bojangles.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

But those 4 things are possible AND a woman still could have been assaulted by the accused. Just because the approach is unorthodox it doesn’t mean the content of the suit is untrue. The large public persona of a lawyer is irrelevant to the content of a case. That’s the way the legal system works.

All these “daggers” being raised are completely irrelevant to the content of a case, court procedures, and the facts. So let’s just let the procedure handle this before we bury the accuser based on our opinion of the lawyer.  

Almost all the posts here are burying the lawyer.  I think we all understand the process, and are waiting for the facts to come out.  It's totally fair game to question the presentation - there's a reason it's being done that way, to generate publicity ahead of time, so it's totally fair game to call it out, as well.   I mean, we don't even have the actual complaint, so it's not surprising to focus on the presentation.   No one has drawn a firm conclusion yet, nor should they. 

But the presentation can certainly raise eyebrows in the court of public opinion.   That's why the lawyer chose this route.    We're starting to stray away from the football focus, so I'll leave it at that.   I think we all agree the facts should come out before drawing any conclusions.   

• Like 1

It’s also sometimes tricky to distinguish between faith, mental illness, or using something like faith to support your scam

This is not a judgement on faith but on human nature and bad people. Easterby is a bad person.

• Like 2