Deshaun Watson officially requests trade

.Buzz

31 minutes ago, ET80 said:

At that point, the league needs Watson to open up his list by waiving his no-trade clause for everyone - not just Denver and SF. 

That's a huge component to this as well, and that's a contractual stipulation that can't be brushed off by other owners in the interest of the league. 

28 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

That's the kicker.  The owners aren't going to pressure the Texans to get some lowball offer for Watson, because that would seriously come back and bite them all in the *** when their diva star player tries the same thing.  It's taking at a minimum 3 1st rd picks and a player or two.  If that doesn't happen, I fully expect the Texans to dig in WITH the (private) support of all the other owners.

On the flip side, if the Broncos and/or 49ers are offering that.....the other owners not involved in the deals are probably going to privately tell McNair & co. that at some point, enough is enough.    I mean, the fact that Houston has a backup plan for a starter QB (even if it's Tyrod Taylor lol) tells you they're bracing for this.   It's just a staredown contest at this point.

Edited by Broncofan

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

On the flip side, if the Broncos and/or 49ers are offering that.....the other owners not involved in the deals are probably going to privately tell McNair & co. that at some point, enough is enough.    I mean, the fact that Houston has a backup plan for a starter QB (even if it's Tyrod Taylor lol) tells you they're bracing for this.   It's just a staredown contest at this point.

I agree, I'm just saying they won't be low balled.  You have the mouth breather fans on social media saying they'll get Watson for something like a 2nd rd pick this year and a 3rd next year.  That'll never happen.

• Like 1

On the flip side, if the Broncos and/or 49ers are offering that.....the other owners are probably going to tell McNair & co. that at some point, enough is enough.

I'm sure this would be the case for some of the owners (I wouldn't put it past guys like Mark Davis to push against Denver simply because of division rivalries).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

It’s also sometimes tricky to distinguish between faith, mental illness, or using something like faith to support your scam

This is not a judgement on faith but on human nature and bad people. Easterby is a bad person.

It does tend to involve a lot of gullible people...

9 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

On the flip side, if the Broncos and/or 49ers are offering that.....the other owners not involved in the deals are probably going to privately tell McNair & co. that at some point, enough is enough. 

Conversely, I could see the Texans arguing that they're leaving assets on the table by not getting an opportunity to listen to NYJ or Mia.

The league can't enforce a trade AND abide by the NTC. One or the other, IMO.

4 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

I agree, I'm just saying they won't be low balled.  You have the mouth breather fans on social media saying they'll get Watson for something like a 2nd rd pick this year and a 3rd next year.  That'll never happen.

Those are the same guys that complain that their middling talent should get at least a 1st round pick, if not more, and anything less is highway robbery (SF & JimmyG, Denver & Lock, for example).

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

Conversely, I could see the Texans arguing that they're leaving assets on the table by not listening to NYJ or Miami. 

Sure, but those owners will just say that next time, don't agree to a no-trade clause....and to be honest, it would be the mildest of criticisms thrown their way.

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I'm sure this would be the case for some of the owners (I wouldn't put it past guys like Mark Davis to push against Denver simply because of division rivalries).

Sure, but I think those would be fairly transparent...even for the McNairs.    Cal might not realize that the Rams don't play in STL, though.

3 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

I spoke with Deshaun this morning. He let me know he is converting to Buddhism and will be spending the day at the spa. Stay tuned. 

The strongest move Watson can make is start posting IG pics of him at a temple and announcing his conversion.   Easterby would have every bidder on speed dial.

Maybe he can borrow Harden's fat suit for the pics too.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

The preception/ negative culture hasn't grown enough yet. Give it time to manifest the closer we draw to season opener.

Yup. Folks really underestimate the annoying buzz this will create for the Texans day, after day, after day, after day. It will grind any organization down to the bone. Mini camp, training camp, preseason, regular season, etc. Especially with this QB. And especially if Watson has a sit-down interview if he gets dragged through the mud by Houston later on. At some point you just trade the malcontent face of the franchise that doesn't want to be there. 

Sure, but those owners will just say that next time, don't agree to a no-trade clause....and to be honest, it would be the mildest of criticisms thrown their way

I made a quick edit - I don't see how the league can mandate a trade AND enforce the NTC. One or the other. They'd be setting an incredibly dangerous precedent that others would take note of - and you'd see an avalanche of player's dictating directions such as this. 

2 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Yup. Folks really underestimate the annoying buzz this will create for the Texans day, after day, after day, after day. It will grind any organization down to the bone. Mini camp, training camp, preseason, regular season, etc. Especially with this QB. And especially if Watson has a sit-down interview if he gets dragged through the mud by Houston later on. At some point you just trade the malcontent face of the franchise that doesn't want to be there. 

Likewise, I think you underestimate how the Texans FO/Ownership simply doesn't care - in fact, they're leaning into it locally.

No publicity is bad publicity to them.