Fantasy Baseball Advice Thread

deuces22wild

37 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Honestly I'd take both. Our league is 12 teams, 6 keepers and guys are kept at where they are drafted and there is inflation as you continue to keep the same player. With only 4 bench spots its tough to stash guys who won't play so if you mention guys in the minors, a projected ETA would be nice if you could. give it.

Guerrero, Jimenez, and  Robles are the only guys on the MLB 2019 prospect watch list that will be kept. 

Here are some lesser names and some prospects 

Ian Happ- depending on playing time. Basically equal to Yoan Moncada

Keston Hiura- mid 2019/2020. Projects to be a 2B or CF with the 2nd best hit tool in the minors 

Bo Bichette- mid 2019/2020.  Top 10  prospect overall and will get lots of playing time when ready. 25/20 potential

Tatis Jr- 2019. #2/3 overall prospect. 20/20 potential at SS

Franmill Reyes- really good power profile. Playing time should be there

Adalberto Mondesi- basically a cheaper version of Trea Turner based on projections

Billy McKinney- someone will have to play OF for the Blue Jays. Looked good parts of last year

Teoscar Hernandez- Big time power potential with bad defense, so who knows. Also, see above

Dan Jensen- should be starting C for the Blue Jays. Top 40 propsect. Really good hitter with power

Josh Donaldson- bounceback coming. Health dependent

Josh James- if he gets the #5 starter job he could be an ace in the making. Top velocity

Alex Reyes- Future Cy Young winner. Complete package. Injuries though

AJ Puk- most likely 2020 but who knows. Coming off Tommy John. Probably in the minors this year, but best strikeout man in the minors 

Chris Paddack- mid 2019. Quick rising. Great fastball and "bugs bunny" changeup. Ace potential

Ryan Borucki- really solid rookie year for a young SP

Aaron Sanchez- wild card health. Still young with some good seasons already, including an ERA crown

Marcus Stroman- wild card health. Still young as well with lots of potential 

Jo Adell- late 2019/2020. Similar to Juan Soto 

Royce Lewis- late 2019.  SS version of Adell, but with more hit/speed combo and maybe less power potential 

So it's me again with some more questions

Unfortunately some trades were made which hurt the draftable players which makes my picking 3rd even tougher

1. Does the fact we have to start 5 OF increase Charlie Blackmon's value enough over guys like Goldschmidt/Freeman/Kershaw etc?

2. Does the fact that the only Top-20 SPs available are Kershaw, Carrasco & Strasburg make Kershaw the most valuable option despite me keeping deGrom & Snell? 

Of the 12 previously mentioned, these are the remaining 8:

The Top-4 are who I feel are the best 4 available but I'd like to hear 

Tier 1

Paul Goldschmidt

Freddie Freeman

Clayton Kershaw

Charlie Blackmon

Tier 2

Xander Bogaerts, I'll admit I undervalued him but his numbers are solid-strong in all 6 categories

Khris Davis: I know he was bumped down by everyone but he puts up monster stats albeit with a below average BA

Starling Marte: big time SB guy who still has a strong BA and a 20 HR guy possibly

Anthony Rendon, puts up better #s than Xander albeit with less SBs

Tier 3

Mitch Haniger

Matt Carpenter

Nicholas Castellanos

Carlos Carrasco

Do I have the tiers look correct for these 12 guys? If not, then why? Please

10 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

So it's me again with some more questions

Unfortunately some trades were made which hurt the draftable players which makes my picking 3rd even tougher

1. Does the fact we have to start 5 OF increase Charlie Blackmon's value enough over guys like Goldschmidt/Freeman/Kershaw etc?

2. Does the fact that the only Top-20 SPs available are Kershaw, Carrasco & Strasburg make Kershaw the most valuable option despite me keeping deGrom & Snell? 

Of the 12 previously mentioned, these are the remaining 8:

The Top-4 are who I feel are the best 4 available but I'd like to hear 

Tier 1

Paul Goldschmidt

Freddie Freeman

Clayton Kershaw

Charlie Blackmon

Tier 2

Xander Bogaerts, I'll admit I undervalued him but his numbers are solid-strong in all 6 categories

Khris Davis: I know he was bumped down by everyone but he puts up monster stats albeit with a below average BA

Starling Marte: big time SB guy who still has a strong BA and a 20 HR guy possibly

Anthony Rendon, puts up better #s than Xander albeit with less SBs

Tier 3

Mitch Haniger

Matt Carpenter

Nicholas Castellanos

Carlos Carrasco

Do I have the tiers look correct for these 12 guys? If not, then why? Please

Rendon and Carrasco need to be higher. Khris Davis is a DH over 30. He's tier 3. I'd still like to see Bogaerts have the same year twice in a row before I trust him. 

18 minutes ago, crab1106 said:

Rendon and Carrasco need to be higher. Khris Davis is a DH over 30. He's tier 3. I'd still like to see Bogaerts have the same year twice in a row before I trust him. 

The guys in the separate tiers weren't ranked within them, but Davis might be over 30 but its just 31. That's not really old in baseball

Why do you feel that way about Rendon and Carrasco?

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

The guys in the separate tiers weren't ranked within them, but Davis might be over 30 but its just 31. That's not really old in baseball

Why do you feel that way about Rendon and Carrasco?

Davis being 31 is just added to being UTIL only and standout tool being HR. HR are easier to come by. In the Elite league draft on here he dropped several round and was only taken on auto. 

Re: Rendon and Carrasco. They're both solid and consistant. Decent age. I may even take Carrasco prior to Kershaw if I had to choose one. 

1 hour ago, crab1106 said:

Davis being 31 is just added to being UTIL only and standout tool being HR. HR are easier to come by. In the Elite league draft on here he dropped several round and was only taken on auto. 

Re: Rendon and Carrasco. They're both solid and consistant. Decent age. I may even take Carrasco prior to Kershaw if I had to choose one. 

Idk I think there's more to Davis in our league than just HRs, he is still a + guy for Runs, RBI and OPS too. Now I agree I wouldn't take him at my #1 pick but if I had a mid-late 2nd instead of an earlier one I think Davis would be a great pick

I agree with Rendon and I'm definitely warming up to him. Carrasco I like alot but is he really a Top-8 guy there. 

11 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Idk I think there's more to Davis in our league than just HRs, he is still a + guy for Runs, RBI and OPS too. Now I agree I wouldn't take him at my #1 pick but if I had a mid-late 2nd instead of an earlier one I think Davis would be a great pick

I agree with Rendon and I'm definitely warming up to him. Carrasco I like alot but is he really a Top-8 guy there. 

I dont take him because you have Degrom and Snell but if you only had one of them or neither I go Carrasco. Really depends on what you have and what players you like late. I dont take Bogaerts because I shoot for someone like Lindor or Story and if I miss I wait for Profar or Peraza. Same goes for Marte honestly. In elite I saw Rendon available later than I figured and tried to trade up for him and he got taken the pick prior to the one I wanted. At 3B he's valuable becuase there's not much there late imo. 

16 hours ago, crab1106 said:

I dont take him because you have Degrom and Snell but if you only had one of them or neither I go Carrasco. Really depends on what you have and what players you like late. I dont take Bogaerts because I shoot for someone like Lindor or Story and if I miss I wait for Profar or Peraza. Same goes for Marte honestly. In elite I saw Rendon available later than I figured and tried to trade up for him and he got taken the pick prior to the one I wanted. At 3B he's valuable becuase there's not much there late imo. 

I agree on most counts.  Davis dropped and was officially taken with the last pick of the 7th round in a 16 team league, which would be 10th round in a 12 team league.  I think he has value though and is probably underrated due to being UTIL only.  But fantasy is still about counting stats and he will out produce anyone you have as a UTIL/DH by far. 

I still wouldn't take Carrasco over Kershaw.  People are scared of Kershaw again but I think he is being undervalued due to one year with injuries. 

As for the tiers, I would move carrasco to 2nd in the middle tier behind Rendon and then would pretty much use that as my big board for the first couple of rounds. 

17 hours ago, crab1106 said:

Lindor and Story are kept though thats the thing. 12 teams and 6 keepers makes it tough to get anyone top-5 to 10 at their position

The guys i listed were the Top-12 available per ESPNs rankings(albeit not the best rankings)

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Lindor and Story are kept though thats the thing. 12 teams and 6 keepers makes it tough to get anyone top-5 to 10 at their position

The guys i listed were the Top-12 available per ESPNs rankings(albeit not the best rankings)

I figured they were taken, just using that as an example of my strategy. If they aren't available then I wait and take a different position I don't have someone late for. 

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I agree on most counts.  Davis dropped and was officially taken with the last pick of the 7th round in a 16 team league, which would be 10th round in a 12 team league.  I think he has value though and is probably underrated due to being UTIL only.  But fantasy is still about counting stats and he will out produce anyone you have as a UTIL/DH by far. 

I still wouldn't take Carrasco over Kershaw.  People are scared of Kershaw again but I think he is being undervalued due to one year with injuries. 

As for the tiers, I would move carrasco to 2nd in the middle tier behind Rendon and then would pretty much use that as my big board for the first couple of rounds. 

I care too much about flexability to clog up UTIL like that personally although Davis is a good pick when falling. I just wanted @JaguarCrazy2832 to be aware he may be available later than he anticipates which is part of drafting. Maybe there's a scenerio where he gets Freeman, Rendon and Davis which imo would be a perfect draft from that pool.

3 hours ago, crab1106 said:

I figured they were taken, just using that as an example of my strategy. If they aren't available then I wait and take a different position I don't have someone late for. 

I care too much about flexability to clog up UTIL like that personally although Davis is a good pick when falling. I just wanted @JaguarCrazy2832 to be aware he may be available later than he anticipates which is part of drafting. Maybe there's a scenerio where he gets Freeman, Rendon and Davis which imo would be a perfect draft from that pool.

I wish that was possible but I just cant believe Davis comes back to me. No one is being kept in round 2 and 3

5 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I dont understand how its possible for him to last that long, but it depends on the scoring setting I guess. 

Curious as to how people feel the Machado (and, in particular, if they manage to pull Harper as well) signing affects how quickly the Padres promote some of their prospects if they come out of Spring Training looking good?

I'm still pissed that my league only allows two keepers for baseball, so it's probably going to take a decent amount to push me off Snell ($1) and Rhys Hoskins ($1) - especially now that it looks like Vlad Jr isn't coming up till the 2nd half of the season.  But I am sitting on the ability to swap in Franmil Reyes or Francisco Mejia (honestly, unless an injury happens to Hedges in camp or Mejia just goes en fuego, I can't see him getting the innings to merit keeping vs just watch listing) for $1 for either of them.  I just worry that the damn Pads love of Hunter Renfroe is going to lead them to never giving Reyes the play he deserves.