Deshaun Watson officially requests a trade

skhurst0398

16 hours ago, Deadeye said:

I don't want Watson, not at the price they are asking.  Yes he's a great QB, but football is the ultimate team sport.  We have lots of picks, and lots of holes to fill, and since Tua shows promise, there is no need to move on from him.  If it wasn't 3 first rounders (or more) I'd be interested.  But given our situation that's too many picks considering that we might very well have a franchise QB already on the roster.

I really like Watson, and I felt he was the top QB coming out in his draft, but I have to agree with Deadeye.  We need to stay the course with Tua.  So far the Flores / Grier rebuild has been fantastic and there's nothing to indicate it will be anything less moving forward. 

For those that claim Tua will never be as successful as Watson, I have to disagree.  It's not about paying huge money to a QB that might throw for 5k yards a season, it's about having a QB that is going to get us wins, not turn the ball over, and keep us in the post season and relevancy year in and year out.  Watson is going to continue to put up major stats but the draft capital it will cost to acquire him and the salary he receives will be major hinderances to our rebuild.

• Like 2

my thoughts on this from a previous thread:

On 1/11/2021 at 9:45 AM, TheKillerNacho said:

Certainly a playoff contender but a Super Bowl contender? Eh, no - who's he throwing to? Our team has a ton of holes to address... at the end of the day, we got to 10-6 due to disciplined coaching, primarily.

While it would probably make us better in 2021 to trade Tua and our two firsts plus whatever else for Watson, it's likely not in our best long-term interests. We need to build this team the right way... taking short-cuts does not lead to building a perennial contender.

• Like 1

Another thing that keeps popping in my head, is that Tua seems like a guy that is much more likely to go the "Brady route" and agree to accept deferrals and cap manipulations to his future contracts so that his supporting cast can stick around.  Going from the studs at Bama to the scrubs in Miami last year possibly drove this point home even further.  Is this based on anything more than a gut feeling?  No.  But I can't help but keep thinking this.

• Like 2

Grier has played this rebuild perfect. Won’t say he has made the best draft day decisions but made some really good ones too.

I believe you HAVE TO stay the course with Tua.  Go look at the first 2 seasons of Drew Brees, Josh Allen, Peyton Manning (first season), Matt Ryan.... list goes on. No one was blowing the league up. 

The only way I would do the deal is Tua and #3 overall. That’s it. That’s all I would give up.

Watson is good. But a TON of his yards were playing from behind this season. Watson doesn’t give Miami a better OL. Doesn’t give them a better run game. Doesn’t keep Parker, Williams and Gesecki from Getting injured for multiple games. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Rgossett07 said:

Watson is good. But a TON of his yards were playing from behind this season. Watson doesn’t give Miami a better OL. Doesn’t give them a better run game. Doesn’t keep Parker, Williams and Gesecki from Getting injured for multiple games. 

And that's the problem, he isn't a proven winner, his best season came in garbage time and he has one wildcard win in four years, hes other trips to the playoffs were blow outs where he failed to perform. I mean if you guys want to give us Tua and a haul, go for it, but Watson isn't as good as you think he is, look at his 2019 season, dude was so inconsistent.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Swampbilly said:

I really like Watson, and I felt he was the top QB coming out in his draft, but I have to agree with Deadeye.  We need to stay the course with Tua.  So far the Flores / Grier rebuild has been fantastic and there's nothing to indicate it will be anything less moving forward. 

For those that claim Tua will never be as successful as Watson, I have to disagree.  It's not about paying huge money to a QB that might throw for 5k yards a season, it's about having a QB that is going to get us wins, not turn the ball over, and keep us in the post season and relevancy year in and year out.  Watson is going to continue to put up major stats but the draft capital it will cost to acquire him and the salary he receives will be major hinderances to our rebuild.

I'm glad there are several Phin fans agreeing with me.  And let's discuss the #3 overall pick a little bit to add to what was said previously.

It's possible that if the Jags and Jets draft QBs, someone will want to trade up to #3 for the third best QB.  I could possibly see Atlanta wanting to trade up one spot to land that 3rd QB, and maybe we get their second or third rounder.  And I can then see Cincy wanting to trade up one spot for Sewell.  Again we might get an extra second or third.  And if that scenario played out, we could get two extra picks for moving down only two spots AND still land D Smith.

That #3 pick is too damn valuable to give up.

• Like 1

Mahomes is in this conference. Allen is in your division. Lamar, hate him or love him, is a MVP and his team is a very, very competent franchise. Lawrence is coming. Burrow is a threat if the Bengals ever figure it out. And Herbert is an ascending star. I'd do it if I were your GM. You need firepower to compete for this conference.

12 hours ago, Calamity_Cometh said:

Mahomes is in this conference. Allen is in your division. Lamar, hate him or love him, is a MVP and his team is a very, very competent franchise. Lawrence is coming. Burrow is a threat if the Bengals ever figure it out. And Herbert is an ascending star. I'd do it if I were your GM. You need firepower to compete for this conference.

We're thankful you're not our GM. We need to use the extra picks to plug holes on the current roster.  Tua is improving, we'll take our chances with him.

9 minutes ago, Deadeye said:

Sorry to sound so snarky, you seem decent.  I'm just sick of the whole world telling Miami that they HAVE TO make a trade for Watson.  There is no reason to kick Tua to the curb, and Watson has his flaws.

My apologies.

To be honest, I get what you're saying. It's one hell of a catch 22. Dude is elite but he will cost a LOT. But it's hard to be even an above average defense for an extended period of time. And there's a lot of firepower in this conference to deal with.

40 minutes ago, Calamity_Cometh said:

My apologies.

To be honest, I get what you're saying. It's one hell of a catch 22. Dude is elite but he will cost a LOT. But it's hard to be even an above average defense for an extended period of time. And there's a lot of firepower in this conference to deal with.

The issue of Watson is definitely a lightning rod among the fan bases. 

I received a bit of push back on the Lions forum when I theorized that the Lions would be in the Watson trade talks by essentially trading 2 firsts and what they received from the Rams for him. which is basically 2 - 1s and Stafford. I didn't take the position that they should do it, only that 2 firsts and Stafford (2 future Rams firsts and a 3 rd) for Watson is not a bad deal. Especially when the Lions are likely spending a high 1st round pick (7) on a young QB anyway. Definitely wasn't trying to troll, as I don't think you were either, just found the theory interesting. 

I stand by my theory that the Lions will make a play for him but the idea of trading for him is as controversial on that thread as it is here. 

8 hours ago, Calamity_Cometh said:

My apologies.

Indeed there is, and in week 17 I was relieved the Jets landed with #2 instead or #1.  Adding Trevor Lawrence to the division would have been so crappy. We already have a Buffalo team whose best days are in all likelihood still ahead of them.

At this point, I think our best chance of success is staying the course. Flores is a great coach. Give Tua the weapons he needs to succeed, and evaluate after he's been given a fair chance. Fix the defense's flaws.

We can't do that if we try to "get rich now" by selling our largest edge (our large amount of draft capitol).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

At this point, I think our best chance of success is staying the course. Flores is a great coach. Give Tua the weapons he needs to succeed, and evaluate after he's been given a fair chance. Fix the defense's flaws.

We can't do that if we try to "get rich now" by selling our largest edge (our large amount of draft capitol).

I agree, aside from the co-offensive coordinators and the Noah Igbinoghene pick I have liked most the decisions that have been made. Depending on the strategy behind it or the way it is implemented the co-coordinators may not be terrible, I don't know enough about either guy to really render a judgment on their qualifications. Regardless Miami is in a position to build a contender, if the AFC east becomes brutally competitive, so be it as long as we aren't the conference punching bag.