Bears 2021 roster/trades/transactions

JAF-N72EX

6 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Allegedly they want a senior defensive assistant and they may land Pettine

I would love that, would be a great sounding board for Desai.

Another name mentioned is Bob Sutton.

Edited by G08

4 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Why'd you nix the avatar? 😕

I had only planned to keep it for one year until the death anniversary in honor of Kobe and the other people who died.  The same with the name change.  I still can't believe what happened and it sill hurts but it's time to start moving on.  This is a football forum and I don't talk B-Ball on here anymore. I use a Magic forum for that (occasionally).  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, G08 said:

How is he terrible... 

He didn't have the best rep before joining the Packers and he never got the Packers defense over the top despite having some pretty good pieces in place.  

He took over for Dom Capers and didn't make them any better.  In fact, you could make an argument that he made them worse, despite his defenses playing a much easier schedule than Capers.

Avg total DVOA | Schedule
Capers:  2015-2017:  18th (+1.30%)  | 11th (+1.20%)

Pettine: 2018-2020:  20th (+3.73%)  | 20th (-1.83%)

And it's not like they didn't provide him with ample resources either.  They have poured 12 drafts picks and over 1100 in capital including 3 1st, a 2nd, and a 3rd, plus they signed both Smith's and Amos for over 150M + 50M fully guaranteed money.  Capers didn't have the luxury of having a GM willing to dip into free agency like Gute did with Pettine either.  Ted Thomspon refused to ever use free agency to help the team. He believed strictly on building through teh draft.

There's no reason a defense should still be this bad with Clark, Savage, both Smiths, Jaire and Amos on it. The same reason I was glad to hear Pagano go. There's too much talent there for it to fail. And if does fail, then that's on the coach. And the same reason Todd Haley failed in Pittsburgh--too much talent and not knowing how to utilize it.   

On 2/4/2021 at 11:46 PM, chisoxguy7 said:

Bears hired Michael Pitre of Oregon St as RB coach.

Added. Here's a quick rundown on him per Wiederer

Pitre spent the last three seasons as running backs coach and recruiting coordinator at Oregon State. He and Nagy became familiar with one another in 2017 when Pitre was part of the Bill Walsh Minority Fellowship coaching program with the Kansas City Chiefs.

Over Pitre’s three seasons at Oregon State, the Beavers averaged 165.8 rushing yards per game with 59 rushing touchdowns. Pitre coached current Bears backup running back Artavis Pierce in 2018 and 2019. Last season, the Associated Press named Oregon State’s Jermar Jefferson the Pac-10 Co-Offensive Player of the Year.

8 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Added. Here's a quick rundown on him per Wiederer

Pitre spent the last three seasons as running backs coach and recruiting coordinator at Oregon State. He and Nagy became familiar with one another in 2017 when Pitre was part of the Bill Walsh Minority Fellowship coaching program with the Kansas City Chiefs.

Over Pitre’s three seasons at Oregon State, the Beavers averaged 165.8 rushing yards per game with 59 rushing touchdowns. Pitre coached current Bears backup running back Artavis Pierce in 2018 and 2019. Last season, the Associated Press named Oregon State’s Jermar Jefferson the Pac-10 Co-Offensive Player of the Year.

Good production at the college level. Hard to say if it means anything but it's better than showing nothing.

Pitre also spent the 2009 season as a scouting intern with the Patriots.

Pitre was a three-year starting fullback at UCLA and served as one of the Bruins' captains in 2006. His coaching experience also includes working as a graduate assistant at the University of Colorado, where he worked with Denver Broncos running back Phillip Lindsay, as well as serving as the running backs coach at Montana State.

So, he's done a few things. As a former fullback I would expect to see an additional emphasis on RB pass blocking.

• Like 1

I bet Nall and Pierce would look pretty good behind a stud O line and it wouldn't be oh no Nall and Piece, but Nall and Pierce!

In modern zone schemes the O line makes the RB, not the RB the O line.

Montgomery didn't suddenly get better late this season.  He was always good. 

He had some room for first time due to a combo of better blocking and worse opponents.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...