Kyle Rudolph Issue?

Illadelegend215

I think Rudolph is reaching that point of his career where he believes he’s still capable of doing things that he’s likely not.

I can certainly understand his frustration that he feels under utilized. I don’t disagree that we don’t use our tight ends enough. But, on the flip side, we also saw Irv Smith and Tyler Conklin get used in ways that Rudolph wasn’t being used. So, that also tells me that the team feels that Rudolph has his limitations.

As for his comments about his contract and his apparent unwillingness to restructure, I think he’s in for a rude awakening as to where his value lies. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I think Rudolph is reaching that point of his career where he believes he’s still capable of doing things that he’s likely not.

I can certainly understand his frustration that he feels under utilized. I don’t disagree that we don’t use our tight ends enough. But, on the flip side, we also saw Irv Smith and Tyler Conklin get used in ways that Rudolph wasn’t being used. So, that also tells me that the team feels that Rudolph has his limitations.

As for his comments about his contract and his apparent unwillingness to restructure, I think he’s in for a rude awakening as to where his value lies. 

I've basically been reiterating that same exact point to others.  He says he understands the big picture, but I'm not sure he really does...and it was sort of intimated in a lot of the discussion that PA had with Leber about the interview.  Granted, I haven't listened to the interview, but I think I have the gist of it...and I agree, I think he's in for a rude awakening and realization that while he may feel great and feel he can perform if utilized properly, with the lower cap, his age and his cost, the rest of the NFL probably isn't going to view it the same way.  If he refuses a pay cut, he may as well start working full-time on his community work, because I don't see anyone else giving him a better situation or opportunity.  He's at the point which Leber said they basically all have to go through...and it's hard to come to grips with that.  

3 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

He is a pass catcher being asked to block.  Makes sense need be frustrated. Resigning him was a huge blunder for cap reasons. I don't see him on the roster next season. 

I get why they brought him back since they didn’t really seem to have faith in Irv Smith and Conklin. That was a miscalculation and now Rudolph is nothing more than a 3rd TE here. 

Rudolph is doing what he has to do - he's attempting to keep his value "high" as he knows that he won't be on the team next year.

I'm in agreement with disaacs, that when he reaches the market and sees that his value, especially in a year like this with the cap dipping, perhaps significantly, is nowhere near what he's currently getting paid.

Also, I signed up for a random viking autograph jersey subscription box, and a signed Rudolph jersey came in the mail yesterday.  That all but seals his fate with the team.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, RpMc said:

They’d need to have cap space and want a mid seven figure TE at the end of his career. 

New  England?  I doubt a trade happens with Rudolph at all but for whatever reason I feel he ends up there

1 hour ago, Boda said:

New  England?  I doubt a trade happens with Rudolph at all but for whatever reason I feel he ends up there

Or Tampa Bay, since Gronk will most likely retire again. Either way, Rudolph was on his way out after Conklin showed what he’s capable of. We can use that cap money towards re-signing Wilson and Harris. 🙏🏼

9 hours ago, Purplepride323 said:

Or Tampa Bay, since Gronk will most likely retire again. Either way, Rudolph was on his way out after Conklin showed what he’s capable of. We can use that cap money towards re-signing Wilson and Harris. 🙏🏼

I actually hope they let both of them leave.  Wilson is going to get a good payday & I want no part of that.  If we could bring back Harris on the cheap I'd welcome him back as well Im just not sure if he would accept something like that.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Boda said:

I actually hope they let both of them leave.  Wilson is going to get a good payday & I want no part of that.  If we could bring back Harris on the cheap I'd welcome him back as well Im just not sure if he would accept something like that.

I think cutting Rudolph and Barr would free up the space we need to re-sign Wilson and Harris. I would much rather keep Wilson than Barr. I know he’s not as good in the run game, but getting Michael Pierce and maybe drafting Christian Barmore would solve our run-defense problems. You can’t really blame the LBs for not stopping the run. It’s not like Wilson is a bad tackler, he’s just not a run stopper, and that’s okay. I think he is one of the best coverage LBs in the league, maybe second to Eric Kendricks. Those two in our nickel sets are clearly the best duo in the league. As for Harris, hopefully we can sign him to $7-$8 million/ year. Which is what Rudolph makes. Rather keep Harris than Rudolph. Out of all of our free agents, those two guys are all I want back. 

2 minutes ago, Purplepride323 said:

I think cutting Rudolph and Barr would free up the space we need to re-sign Wilson and Harris. I would much rather keep Wilson than Barr. I know he’s not as good in the run game, but getting Michael Pierce and maybe drafting Christian Barmore would solve our run-defense problems. You can’t really blame the LBs for not stopping the run. It’s not like Wilson is a bad tackler, he’s just not a run stopper, and that’s okay. I think he is one of the best coverage LBs in the league, maybe second to Eric Kendricks. Those two in our nickel sets are clearly the best duo in the league. As for Harris, hopefully we can sign him to $7-$8 million/ year. Which is what Rudolph makes. Rather keep Harris than Rudolph. Out of all of our free agents, those two guys are all I want back. 

I guess this is where we differ because I want no part of Wilson.  I think its going to be another Ray Edwards situation where he's going to get paid and wont come anywhere near living up to the deal.  I also prefer Barr because he's better at everything except coverage & a lot of what he does goes un-noticed.  

For Harris I was thinking a max of 3.5M per year. If its 3.6M per I want no part of him.  I think he greatly benefited from the team around him and kind of showed who he really is this past season.  Get us some youth (Caden Sterns is my preference) & sign a different vet who should come in around that price or maybe lower in Sean Davis.

My ideal move for Rudolph would be to trade him somewhere for a 5th, I'd try my best to get a 4th or higher but I doubt that happens, we might not even get anything for him.

I won't be mad with a Barmore selection I just really like Jaylen Twyman.  I really believe we take a OL in the first this year unless someone drops(I hope they won't pass on Parsons if he's on the board.  I do think this draft offers us a lot of chances to rebuild on the fly as it's a deep OL WR & S class.  This is always my favorite time of the year