The Orlando Brown Situation

coordinator0

I like him , but for the right price good bye and thanks for everything. He just wants money and I don't blame him. As long as the Ravens get great value for him, it's all good to me. It's not like we're losing Ogden and as far as OL go, the Ravens do have a good track drafting and developing good players, so I'm not really worried about it. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

I like how this video shows the value of our RT at LT while our backup RT gets bulled into Lamar's knee. EDC isn't moving OBJ unless that package for him is prime.

Exactly. A guy who can handle MG from out of the wide 9, who can handle TJ Watt, etc... and give up 0 sacks. That’s incredible. This nonsense that the Ravens should be happy to accept a late 1st round pick for him or fringe WR busts and a 2nd is literally the trashiest of the trash in takes IMO.

Even pick#13 alone wouldn’t realistically do justice to THAT level of play and thus should be accompanied by some extra juice.

Chargers get: 

Orlando Brown Jr.

Ravens 2021 4th Round Pick (131)

Ravens get: 

Chargers 2021 1st Round Pick (13)

Chargers 2021 3rd Round Pick (77)

Chargers 2022 2nd Round Pick

https://chargerswire.usatoday.com/2021/02/10/what-would-it-take-for-chargers-to-acquire-ravens-ot-orlando-brown-jr/

This is something that I would qualify as appropriate value for Orlando Brown Jr in a Chargers deal. That 2022 2nd could even be a conditional 2nd/3rd based on playing time, similar to the Colts Wentz trade. That would supply between 1471 points (7th pick) and 1625 points (6th pick) in compensation. Anymore and the Chargers could simply use the package to trade up for Penei Sewell (assuming a team would take such a package to get into the top 5, which with these QBs on the board is probably unlikely).

I honestly think this is the last week that Orlando Brown Jr will be on the roster as I said a couple weeks ago... though I also thought the NFL would have set their actual 2021 salary cap by now as well, so there’s also that... (though I probably should’ve anticipated it because... when was the last time we’ve seen Disney NOT play hardball in negotiations... Netflix, Sony... now NFL).

• Like 4

7 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Exactly. A guy who can handle MG from out of the wide 9, who can handle TJ Watt, etc... and give up 0 sacks. That’s incredible. This nonsense that the Ravens should be happy to accept a late 1st round pick for him or fringe WR busts and a 2nd is literally the trashiest of the trash in takes IMO.

Even pick#13 alone wouldn’t realistically do justice to THAT level of play and thus should be accompanied by some extra juice.

This is something that I would qualify as appropriate value for Orlando Brown Jr in a Chargers deal. That 2022 2nd could even be a conditional 2nd/3rd based on playing time, similar to the Colts Wentz trade. That would supply between 1471 points (7th pick) and 1625 points (6th pick) in compensation. Anymore and the Chargers could simply use the package to trade up for Penei Sewell (assuming a team would take such a package to get into the top 5, which with these QBs on the board is probably unlikely).

I honestly think this is the last week that Orlando Brown Jr will be on the roster as I said a couple weeks ago... though I also thought the NFL would have set their actual 2021 salary cap by now as well, so there’s also that... (though I probably should’ve anticipated it because... when was the last time we’ve seen Disney NOT play hardball in negotiations... Netflix, Sony... now NFL).

There's a big difference between

• "Being happy" (finding the value satisfactory) with accepting a late first round pick for Zeus and
  • Expecting that to be the value offered by other teams this offseason, and, subsequently, deciding:
    • That is not worth what Zeus provides us this year and we'll just ride with him next year at RT or
    • Taking that value now supposing we only get the 3rd round comp value he'll retrieve later, the OT class this year, etc.

95% of Ravens fans that I've seen/heard fall into that 2nd category. I don't find/hear many in that first camp tbh

Edited by Ray Reed
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

• "Being happy" (finding the value satisfactory) with accepting a late first round pick for Zeus and
  • Expecting that to be the value offered by other teams this offseason, and, subsequently, deciding:
    • That is not worth what Zeus provides us this year and we'll just ride with him next year at RT or
    • Taking that value now supposing we only get the 3rd round comp value he'll retrieve later, the OT class this year, etc.

95% of Ravens fans that I've seen/heard fall into that 2nd category. I don't find/hear many in that first camp tbh

Like I said, if the Ravens front office is willing to obtain only a late 1st for a PB LT that has proven he can contain some of the best edge rushers in the game, EDC tenure at GM needs to go directly under the microscope.

The 2020 NFL draft was loaded with WR talent, yet the Vikings still got a late 1st and change for a far less valuable position and with a player in Diggs, who at the time, certainly wasn’t considered amongst the NFL’s elite at the position. He, like Brown Jr was a fringe top 10 at his position within the league. Yet one plays the premium position and and the other does not. One of the guys was on a rookie deal for one more season, the other was not.

The Jags were in one of the worst bargaining positions we’ve seen with Ramsey where he clearly wanted out, he had already accrued his season, plenty of other players wanted out, etc. That was a firesale if I ever saw one. Yet their front office, that had plenty of questionable actions, still were able to obtain two 1sts and change for Ramsey.

The Ravens had an underused #3 TE who wanted out of Baltimore and were able to obtain 2nd round quality for that player who hadn’t even proven to be top 20 at a far less valuable position.

Nothing bounds the Ravens to a trade. If they told Brown Jr that we’d like to find him a new home if teams match his value and he agrees, that’s the plan; then if they don’t, bring him back and then franchise and trade him next season for only a late 1st.

But if we’re moving Brown Jr this offseason, expecting Stefon Diggs type value for him is disrespectful to Brown Jr’s level of play to this point in his career. Like people might as well spit in this dude’s face. They might as well spit on EDC for their belief that’s what they should expect of him as a GM. I don’t care if it’s “plugged in media guys” and whether they think Chicago’s pick 20 (alone) should’ve been enough.

The Chargers (#13 pick) value is at about the line of “this is acceptable” value that should be expected where it’s not disrespectful to either EDC or Brown Jr. That’s a reasonable stance. The Ravens draft history suggest they would have a great shot at replacing Brown Jr with such compensation. Anything less and there’s literally no reason why we should agree to a deal. It’s simply going to position the squad in a far worse competitive position while simultaneously strengthening our competition. What sense would that make?

Yet just because the Ravens could probably replace Brown Jr with such value, doesn’t mean they should be willing to settle for such value either. If the Ravens were a far worse organization, such as the Jags, Bengals, Jets, etc... pick 13 for such a talent would not be viewed in quite the same surety. They might also be lambasted for such a trade if made. They’d likely be demanding top 10 value because that’s what it would take for THEM to appropriately feel comfortable replacing a Brown Jr’s talent.

So just because the Ravens CAN replace Brown Jr with the Chargers pick and such a handicap is “fair” for our squad, doesn’t mean we should accept such either. In golf and bowling guys are willing to accept handicaps, in front office team building within a parity filled league, fair is getting the absolute max value that can be had.

Brown Jr is a Cadillac Escalade, we should not be willing to accept a GMC Acadia for his efforts. Not in the slightest. I’ll die on this hill.

braveheart GIFmel gibson braveheart GIF

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Next year couldn't we still tag him and trade for a 1st/2nd/3rd/etc depending on what happens this year? I guess my point is we are viewing this as if we don't get a good 1st round pick this year we will use him a year and get a 3rd next year but realistically it could be use him this year and tag/trade for a late 1st, early 2nd, even an early 3rd is better than a compensatory 3rd. OBJ might be pissed but no player likes to be tagged and I can't imagine we would give up on potential value just to make an outgoing player happy.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

I'm guessing EDC is pushing for 25+Chark or something along those lines. Jags opening bid probably started around 33. Was always one of the teams that looked most likely to get involved, so it would not be a surprise to see this get done. 

Please explain how you guys think Chark is involved in any way, shape, or form.

Just now, SalvadorsDeli said:

Because contrary to popular belief when you're trying to trade for good players, the other team is justified in asking for good players in return. 

So you get a premium pick and a good player for a good player? Especially one who is forcing his way out?

It checks out.