The Orlando Brown Situation

coordinator0

So this is the last “official” report. Sounds like the Ravens are playing this a little more hands off to start. Let Brown’s representatives drum up the value along the market.

Funny how this more official report seems to run counter to the idea that just a day later they were,  “dancing with the Jags on Brown Jr for a 2nd-3rd.” It’s almost as if the other take was a made up rumor to drum up Twitter likes and attention. 🤔

I hope this doesn’t dash too heavily the Jags fans hopes of committing highway robbery against Eric DeCosta, trading for Brown Jr for less than 700 draft value chart points.
restaurant salad GIF
————

Anyways I would imagine that for Browns representatives and the Ravens a natural soft deadline, considering the speed as to where these talks have gone, might be before the start of FA while every team is a player. Even teams that we might not expect. I mean who would’ve guessed the Cardinals winning the JJ Watt sweepstakes?
————

Per some reports there could be 5-8 teams with interest in upgrading the LT spot who might have interest. The obvious guesses would be: Chargers, Jags, Colts; while some other potential under the radar players could be the Panthers, Giants and the WFT. Brown would be a natural scheme fit with the Giants, if they’re willing to move their 2020 first round pick to RT. Brown also feels like a natural personality fit for Rivera and it would still leave him local to the area. The Panthers seem to be aggressive players in looking to improve their roster and are likely to add a QBOFT option at pick 1.8 in the event that they cannot trade for Watson; so protecting Lance/Fields could be high atop their docket.
———

Given the above teams as players, potential deals I feel could be of interest to all involved parties could look like:

Chargers
1.13- 1150 pts
2022 3rd, 116-190 pts (some teams go by last pick and others by pick 16 of round).
Total: 1266- 1340 TVCP

Jags
1.25- 720 pts
2.33- 580 pts
Total: 1300 TVCP

Colts
1.21- 800 pts
4.118- 58 pts
Conditional 2022 2nd/2023 1st,
270-420 TVCP
Total: 1128-1278 TVCP
* Weird scenario with them already having a conditional 2nd involved in the Wentz deal. If they’re a major player, we might have to get creative. While the future 2nd would seem to suggest it can’t be on the table, perhaps a way around that might be earmarking something further down the road? Admittedly I don’t think there’s much precedent here, but as we saw last season where the Ravens tried to acquire Jadeveon Clowney in a sign and trade NBA style, EDC is certainly not against using unconventional methods to get a deal done. Using such a strategy is something we’ve seen in the NBA and thus might be applicable for the Colts. Either Wentz is there guy and Brown is compensated for only an additional future 2nd- thus allowing them to acquire Brown at a lower cost point to other teams potentially involved OR Wentz isn’t there guy and Brown’s impact benefits the Ravens with additional compensation of unexpected fruitfulness- due to the late return of returned value.

Panthers
2.39- 510 pts
2022 1st Rd, 590-1000 pts
Total: 1090-1510 TVCP

Some obvious risk in not being supplied with the ideal compensation. But as with all future pick oriented deals, they involve some potential for highway robbery along with some potential for less than ideal value. The Panthers would be a solid team to attach future value on considering the immediate players within their division.

Giants
1.11 (Giants) swap for 1.27 (Ravens)- 570 pts
2.43- 470 pts
2022 2nd, 270-420 pts
Total: 1310-1460 pts

The Giants need to know what they’ve got in Daniel Jones and providing him with the best possible protection, while upgrading the OL for Barkley seems like it would present them their best bet to evaluate.

This deal would be mutually beneficial for both squads. After spending significant draft capital on the LT position last season with less than expected returns, the Giants would get a great system fit and OL leader with Brown Jr, yet the Giants will very likely want to immediately provide Jones with an additional high level target. Pick 27 gives them ammo to attack a Bateman, Moore, Marshall caliber prospect while still upgrading their LT position. So from a draft plan perspective they only lose an immediate and a future 2nd round pick, which is a small price to pay in being able to best evaluate their QB situation. They need to know if they’ve got a QBOTF with Jones or if it would be smart to move on from him in 2022, while still having ammunition to potentially do so with their future 1st readily available for veteran trades options and/or drafting such a talent.

WFT
1.19- 875
3.74/3.82- 220/180
2022 2nd Rd Pick- 270-420 pts
Total: 1325-1515 TVCP

Similar to many of the reasons above, Orlando Brown Jr to the WFT could make a lot of sense. The divisional arms race point, gathered need to upgrade the LT position.

The major difference being the fact that they don’t currently have a QB that would warrant such an investment in Brown Jr.

I think this maneuver might be one that would become more of a natural fit if the WFT can somehow find a way to solidify their QB position within FA. This is probably more of a pipe dream however as it would rely on potentially two conceivable routes:

1) Dak Prescott: If for some reason Dallas trades for Russell Wilson, yet doesn’t include Dak Prescott in the deal via a franchise and trade, then I could see Dak signing with the divisional rivals out of spite.

2) Cam Newton: Rivera envisioning Cam Newton as a potential stop gap QB option via free agency. If the WFT misses out on all the QBs on the market and Newton becomes their fallback option, then this maneuver might still make some sense for them. They’d still have their 2nd round pick and an additional 3rd rounder in injecting the offense with some plus options for Newton to work with.

But again, the fact that this route relies on the QBs on the market being exhausted first (or Dallas somehow completely botching that Dak situation, allowing him to fall to a divisional rival) makes it far less likely a route.
———

Quite easily I see the Giants as the biggest win/win value of any team potentially available within the Brown Jr sweepstakes.

Other teams might bulk at the necessary value needed to acquire Brown Jr, have resources tied up in too many different avenues, and/or haven’t quite as much motivation to go all-in. The Giants provide the best schematic fit, the Giants GM- Gettleman has consistently made the OL a priority in the past with aggressive maneuvers, and the Giants REALLY need to know what they have in Daniel Jones moving forward (so as to decide what to do with his 5th year option). They’re also within a division that’s weak enough where a maneuver like adding a PB LT could be a significant addition in the divisional arms race.

For the Ravens, the additional 2nd round picks would go a long way in adding quality competing pieces to the teams core moving forward. While the increased 1st round value provides additional draft plan flexibility where adding an elite prospect can be weighed against adding increased opportunities (picks) at adding significant contributing talents. We would once again find ourselves in the 2018 draft conundrum where we weighed the oft injured Future All Pro Derwin James against compensational values that would ultimately lead to Hayden Hurst (JK Dobbins), Mark Andrews, Kenny Young (Marcus Peters), Bradley Bozeman, Jaleel Scott, Jordan Lasley, and Greg Senat. A similar decision might present itself whereby the Ravens could be forced to weigh the value of a DeVonta Smith/Kyle Pitts against Rashod Bateman (for example) and plenty of future values that could greatly assist in the fabric of the team moving forward
———

Anyways, this is all conjecture of what I think could be logical potential landing spots and competent values for a player of Brown Jr’s caliber based on established precedents across the league for young ascending talents, the value of LT play across the league, as well as EDC’s propensity to squeeze out maximum value within negotiations.

I won’t pretend to disguise my rumination under the guise of “key sources” with “knowledge of negotiations” that teams are “dancing on the prospect of a trade” that is “all but guaranteed to happen for a 2nd-3rd”, (a deal that runs completely counter to the established norms of how the Ravens typically do business in trade evaluations), yet still has yet to happen.
———

Anyone have any additional teams that they think could be players in the Brown Jr chase?

Edited by diamondbull424

Orlando is a moron for using this "I want to play Left Tackle only" angle. No doubt it's shrunk the number of teams looking to acquire him. He can't reverse course now either cause he'd look like a dope.

What would've been so hard about simply requesting a trade on the basis of wanting Top Tackle money, then sorting out the position BS(If it is even a real issue) when you got to your new team on that max deal? You'd have a lot more suiters, eventually your deal locked in, and then a whole lot of leverage to force that desired change in position through.

Some MFs can't even finesse a bag with their own name on it. 🙄

• Like 1

17 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Hold up... you mean to tell me it’s not a done deal for a 2nd and 3rd round pick to the Jags as that bozo suggested? And here I just KNEW I’d need to return my Ravens gear. Now what will I do, keep it!? Smh.

Absolutely love the use of bozo & honestly think we need to start saying it more again as a society in general

Just lands every time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ray Reed said:

Absolutely love the use of bozo & honestly think we need to start saying it more again as a society in general

Just lands every time.

I use it on the regular. I'm French and I have no idea why. We use it so often. When you get called a bozo, it just hits different 🤣

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Just lands every time.

It definitely is an interesting word that we don’t hear as often. I sort of wish more words were used more often in general. I’ve tried using a more expansive vocabulary of late in general because, I feel like I’ve been getting... more stupid, if that makes sense. Words that I used to easily command don’t come as easy because we sort of speak in memes and acronyms within society as a whole (especially in corporate America though).

But Anyways, now I’m being verbose as always. 😂🤷🏾‍♂️ 

• Like 1

I was certainly wrong as to this deal going down in February. Thought for sure that it would be done by now.

Though perhaps teams, including the Ravens, want to get the best possible look at the major players within this OL class before they determine proper value to Brown Jr in any trade negotiations.

That or all these QBs on the market are muddying negotiations and a trade for Brown Jr is less likely to occur until after Russell Wilson, Deshaun Watson, etc. are off the board. This has been anything but a typical offseason. Either the media is more bored than usual or this will surely be one of, if not the most exciting offseason in NFL history. Every week is filled with the prospect of gigantic news being just around the corner.

18 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

I was certainly wrong as to this deal going down in February. Thought for sure that it would be done by now.

Though perhaps teams, including the Ravens, want to get the best possible look at the major players within this OL class before they determine proper value to Brown Jr in any trade negotiations.

That or all these QBs on the market are muddying negotiations and a trade for Brown Jr is less likely to occur until after Russell Wilson, Deshaun Watson, etc. are off the board. This has been anything but a typical offseason. Either the media is more bored than usual or this will surely be one of, if not the most exciting offseason in NFL history. Every week is filled with the prospect of gigantic news being just around the corner.

Yeah, I don't see this happening before free agency. Likely a week or two before the draft if anything. Brown is in a position where he has to play for us. The way the hold out process is structured now, he would have no choice but to play. Less likely scenario is that he isn't dealt this offseason. He'd be franchised and traded next off season. I just see his trade value being higher currently fresh off half a season after having an impressive showing as an LT. 

I still think Jacksonville will be the team to get the deal done if their office has any brains whatsoever. Protect your first overall investment. 

• Like 1

I wonder if he would come and play Right Tackle in Miami giving that it would still be the blindside protector and we would pay him like a left tackle?

I see this potentially being a draft day trade to Jags, Dolphins, Colts, Chargers or 49ers. 

Probably once Sewell, Darrisaw are off the board.