The Orlando Brown Situation

coordinator0

I don't fault the guy for pursuing whatever his ultimate interests are, but it's pretty easy to see him regretting the decision not long after his new reality sets in. Personal ties to the club aside. Leaving a Top Tier organization and perennial contender with a run heavy offense as an Offensive Tackle? For a couple more million? That's not exactly like buying Apple Stock in 1981. None of the teams he's likely to be shipped off to will sniff a Super Bowl or maybe even see a playoff birth for the duration of his contract. As organizations around the league go, there's plenty of former Ravens that left who will tell you the grass definitely isn't greener elsewhere- even if the money is. And I doubt playing on the Left Side of an offense that has him in pass pro 38 times because his team is down by 28 or 35 against Mahomes, Allen, etc.. will be all that fulfilling- despite his 'Father's Dream'.

For a couple more million and the chance to play at LT, Orlando is basically ensuring every other aspect of his football existence is worse off. His choice to make, but one that will definitely have foreseeable consequences for him.

Makes you wonder if this is all just some big scheme to get away from the Ravens' infamous conditioning program 😅...?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DreamKid said:

I don't fault the guy for pursuing whatever his ultimate interests are, but it's pretty easy to see him regretting the decision not long after his new reality sets in. Personal ties to the club aside. Leaving a Top Tier organization and perennial contender with a run heavy offense as an Offensive Tackle? For a couple more million? That's not exactly like buying Apple Stock in 1981. None of the teams he's likely to be shipped off to will sniff a Super Bowl or maybe even see a playoff birth for the duration of his contract. As organizations around the league go, there's plenty of former Ravens that left who will tell you the grass definitely isn't greener elsewhere- even if the money is. And I doubt playing on the Left Side of an offense that has him in pass pro 38 times because his team is down by 28 or 35 against Mahomes, Allen, etc.. will be all that fulfilling- despite his 'Father's Dream'.

For a couple more million and the chance to play at LT, Orlando is basically ensuring every other aspect of his football existence is worse off. His choice to make, but one that will definitely have foreseeable consequences for him.

Makes you wonder if this is all just some big scheme to get away from the Ravens' infamous conditioning program 😅...?

Idk about that. Feels like two of the more likely destinations for him are the Chargers and Jags. The historical success might not be there but I don't think he'd be going to a competitive wasteland if he ends up being paid the big bucks to be the franchise LT and protector for Trevor Lawrence or Justin Herbert. Definitely two teams on the rise. 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli

Chargers fan here, would the #13 overall pick get it done?  I think it makes sense for both teams. The Chargers desperately need a LT and OB Jr is a known quantity we could plug in and protect Herbert right away (as opposed to drafting say Darrisaw and having some growing pains).  With Herbert on a rookie deal, we could afford to pay him the money he wants too, plus he’s still young and not much older than whoever we’d be drafting. I think it’s fair both ways (considering we have to pay him too) just not sure that gets it done after what the Dolphins got for Tunsil 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, BoltsFan937 said:

Chargers fan here, would the #13 overall pick get it done?  I think it makes sense for both teams. The Chargers desperately need a LT and OB Jr is a known quantity we could plug in and protect Herbert right away (as opposed to drafting say Darrisaw and having some growing pains).  With Herbert on a rookie deal, we could afford to pay him the money he wants too, plus he’s still young and not much older than whoever we’d be drafting. I think it’s fair both ways (considering we have to pay him too) just not sure that gets it done after what the Dolphins got for Tunsil 

Yea, that would definitely get it done. I'd be surprised if we got that much, the 13th pick is quite high. Ravens shouldn't move him for less than a 1st, but I'm thinking more late first.

The Tunsil trade was pretty crazy by the Texans. I don't see it as the standard. I would have gladly sent Stanley out for that price, at the time.

1 hour ago, BoltsFan937 said:

I wouldn't even think twice before kicking OBJ out the door for that price.

3 hours ago, BoltsFan937 said:

I actually think that’s a very fair trade value wise. It’s two rounds higher than where we drafted him. Brown Jr is a two time PB player at both right and left tackle.

Its not Tunsil type value, but I don’t think that was exactly “fair” value. That was highway robbery by one side to another.

Could the Ravens settle for less? Indeed. Could the Chargers probably pay more? Sure thing. But if we’re talking fair all around, I think the value as to what you describe would be most fair.

I think the two best deals on the table for OB Jr would be:

Chargers get: Orlando Brown Jr
Ravens get: Pick #13

Jaguars get: Orlando Brown Jr
Ravens get: Pick #25 + Pick #45

Both would present similar value overall. I’m unsure as to which deal I would prefer however. Very close either way.

Though your deal would give us the opportunity to still trade back and accumulate additional assets if we don’t like the board, so I’d probably ultimately choose the Chargers in such a scenario.

There’s a chance, however slim, that an elite prospect (like Kyle Pitts, DeVonta Smith, Patrick Surtain Jr, Micah Parsons) or a QB that could net an attractive trade down offer would be available at that pick. Would give the organization multiple options for team building. Whether it’s trading up slightly for an elite target that falls, trading back for assets, or taking an elite prospect regardless of positional need.

Now if the Jags overpaid and gave up pick #25 and their early 2nd, I’d absolutely be a fan of that deal instead... though we’d be creeping ever so slightly towards the “highway robbery” category at that point.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

fax

never really got the “ravens are complacent” crowd just because of what was said at a post season presser

I think the tweet is more so referencing the well-documented history of nepotism type hires within the organization than any singular comments made at the post season presser. These hires are definitely a long ways away from "some guy who happened to be an assistant to the assistant in Philadelphia when Harbaugh was coaching there" or "some guy who knew some guy who previously worked with Jim Harbaugh".

6 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

I think the tweet is more so referencing the well-documented history of nepotism type hires within the organization than any singular comments made at the post season presser. These hires are definitely a long ways away from "some guy who happened to be an assistant to the assistant in Philadelphia when Harbaugh was coaching there" or "some guy who knew some guy who previously worked with Jim Harbaugh".

yeah i get that’s what the tweet was referencing for sure, it just seemed to me like this off-season the “complacency” comments aimed at the staff that started up almost immediately after that presser on social media/message boards would reference harbaugh’s previous hires a lot of the time as like an additional piece of evidence that harbaugh is just a complacent guy when it comes to making changes - whether that was hirings, schemes, etc.

i never really bought into conflating those two when harbaugh didn’t specifically come out and say in the presser “here’s how we’re gonna fix the passing game” - felt like that was just more half hearted ammo for the “nepotism/complacent harbs” crowd

1 hour ago, Boodgyman5220 said:

Slightly off topic, and not an attack on anybody, but I find it interesting when people talk about guys not wanting to take a few million less to play for a successful team like a few million is nothing

I get your point, but I also get the concept. At a certain level, money becomes more of a tool and less of a necessity. Billionaires don’t NEED a couple extra million to live comfortably. Even multimillionaires are using it as a tool to further accumulate wealth or passive income.. and not necessarily to survive. Heck even just regular millionaires.. though there’s a little more room for error there.

Now yeah, for someone making 50k/year, the difference between them having an extra $2m in their bank account is an absurdly big deal. But the same is true with the person who makes $50k vs the person living in a shack with no running water.

The reason a guy like Andrew Luck could turn down a hundred million dollars+ is for the very reason that he had already made quality money and his family was already wealthy. He rejected millions for happiness. And thus if your a starting OT in this league operating at a high level, you’re probably in a position to bring home over $100m throughout your NFL career. At that point, through quality investments and not being an idiot with your money, you could comfortably live the rest of your life. So at what point do you trade $10m over the course of your career to pursue greater happiness from your career.

If looking back on it, if I could have paid 1k to have the HS achievement of winning a State Championship and getting a ring, the first banner for our school and years of fond memories to think back on... I absolutely would do that. Perhaps even $5k. Heck I spent $100k on a degree major that I’m not even using to attend college within a state that I don’t even live within, why not spend a few grand to have accomplished something that not everyone can claim they’ve accomplished.

If I’m an NFL player and putting my body through such an immense toll on an annual basis, I definitely want the bag, but I’d also be more like Tom Brady in that aspect. I’d easily sacrifice a few million dollars over the course of my career within a competent organization to have one of the best chances at career supremacy and eternal memories.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 1

1. Aaron Donald 29 Y/O  2. Chris Jones 26 Y/O  3. Grady Jarrett 27 Y/O  4. Quinnen Williams 23 Y/O

Quinnen's trajectory is undeniable. Beyond his pass rush prowess and upside, he's a savage against the run as well. And he's performed like this with the F'n Gase era Jets. Donald, Jones, and Jarett were all apart of Super Bowl squads. Not to take anything away from their respective abilities, but it shows something when you can thrive in the gutter like Q has had to. 

Could you imagine the short term devastation of a B. Will, Q. Will, Campbell, and Madubuike rotation? And then the long term reign of Q and Buike as the league's top interior duo? Would be pretty special. Q is still cost controlled for another 3 Seasons too.

Something to really consider for EDC, as he's shopping around Orlando.

Etl4tJDXIAE-WiZ?format=jpg&name=large