Dak Prescott thread

ET80

7 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Debatable if it was the best rookie season ever. I have it as 4th in this new pass happy league. 

Dak - 105 rating, 78 QBR, 7.9 ANY/A, 68% cmp 13-3 record w/benching starters

Wilson - 100 rating, 73 QBR, 6.8 ANY/A, 64% cmp, 11-5 record

RG3 - 102 rating, 70 QBR, 7 ANY/A, 66% cmp, 9-6 record

Herbert - 98 rating, 70 QBR, 6.8 ANY/A, 67% cmp, 6-9 record

And to keep the thread on point:

Watson - 103 rating, 84 QBR, 7.2 ANY/A, 62% cmp, 3-3 record

EDIT: See below. If Dak had the 140 extra attempts, he would have smashed all of Herberts bulk numbers along with already crushing him in everything efficiency. There is a reason Dak got league MVP votes as a rookie and Herbert wont. 

Unfortunately I dont have a subscription to show all 4 of their stats.

Only other thing I'd add is Herbert's rookie record is 7-8 or AT WORST 6-8. He absolutely does not get credited for an L in the Saints game. 😄 I don't mind laughing about it now since Chargers fans have brighter days ahead of them but holy I don't understand how they managed to lose that one.

Edited by Fray32

It's stupid that you are trying to explain something you don't seem to understand. As volume increases avgs dip. This is a mathmatical trend throughout time. It has been shown EVERY YEAR in this sport alone. Look at the last 10 years of qb play.

Compare top 10 efficient qbs in week 17 vs their efficiency in week 13, with lower counting stats. Their efficiency indicators were higher in earlier benchmarks.

I think you need to go back to your data analyst beginners seminar bro.

Might want to check that again foles had him nearly across the board.

Passing

• Glossary
  Passing Advanced Passing
Rk Player Year QBrec Att Cmp% Y/A+ NY/A+ AY/A+ ANY/A+ Cmp%+ TD%+ Int%+ Sack%+ Rate+
1 Nick Foles 2013 8-2-0 317 64.0 147 135 151 143 109 147 135 86 142
2 Patrick Mahomes 2018 12-4-0 580 66.0 131 134 134 136 109 144 105 117 131

Per Game

Then again, you did claim Dak had 4 MVP votes. He had less than his own rookie backfield team mate, who had 6 times as many votes as him. Dak had 1. Prolly some drunk Cowboy's beat writer.

Edited by Bearerofnews

Let me see if I can follow the logic.

If Dak had 140 more attempts and you took the ball away from that 2016 Cowboys team's best player in a 1600+ yard 15 rushing TD 5.1 ypc 'zeke then Prescott would have been better? 

That was a running team with a dominant O-line and a very efficient QB using play action and his own rushing ability.

It took 4 guys on the 2020 Chargers to run 1444 yards at 3.9 ypc and 6 TDs.

This is like saying Ben was the best rookie because his numbers would be huge if he had 220 more passes.

He was 13-0 because he was very efficient in the system, converting 3rd downs and getting early leads.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bearerofnews said:

It's stupid that you are trying to explain something you don't seem to understand. As volume increases avgs dip. This is a mathmatical trend throughout time. It has been shown EVERY YEAR in this sport alone. Look at the last 10 years of qb play.

I addressed this in the other thread. Twice. You can respond here if you would like.

Compare top 10 efficient qbs in week 17 vs their efficiency in week 13, with lower counting stats. Their efficiency indicators were higher in earlier benchmarks.

I think you need to go back to your data analyst beginners seminar bro.

We are talking season long trends with 400-600 passes. Not a single game comparison. 

Might want to check that again foles had him nearly across the board.

Passing

• Glossary
  Passing Advanced Passing
Rk Player Year QBrec Att Cmp% Y/A+ NY/A+ AY/A+ ANY/A+ Cmp%+ TD%+ Int%+ Sack%+ Rate+
1 Nick Foles 2013 8-2-0 317 64.0 147 135 151 143 109 147 135 86 142
2 Patrick Mahomes 2018 12-4-0 580 66.0 131 134 134 136 109 144 105 117 131

Per Game

I addressed this in the other thread. Feel free to respond here.

Then again, you did claim Dak had 4 MVP votes. He had less than his own rookie backfield team mate, who had 6 times as many votes as him. Dak had 1. Prolly some drunk Cowboy's beat writer.

Three options here.

1. I miswrote, which I dont think I did. I knew he had one.
  2. You are a liar.
  3. You need new bi-focals.

2 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

Let me see if I can follow the logic.

You failed.

If Dak had 140 more attempts

Technically its only 100 if you include Daks playoff game. 490 to 590.

and you took the ball away from that 2016 Cowboys team's best player in a 1600+ yard 15 rushing TD 5.1 ypc 'zeke then Prescott would have been better? 

Zeke has never been our best player. NEVER. But the argument is that Dak would have had better bulk numbers, which is a dumb argument because bulk numbers rarely matter after a certain threshold. 

That was a running team with a dominant O-line and a very efficient QB using play action and his own rushing ability.

Dak was always the driving force behind that team. You just never want to admit it. 

It took 4 guys on the 2020 Chargers to run 1444 yards at 3.9 ypc and 6 TDs.

You know that I care very little about this....

This is like saying Ben was the best rookie because his numbers would be huge if he had 220 more passes.

He was 13-0 because he was very efficient in the system, converting 3rd downs and getting early leads.

Exactly. Maybe you do understand. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I mean, technically 2014-2016 Brees was an inefficient QB by his standards. They are some of his worse years as a Saint for efficiency purposes. And he lost the most games. Not surprised (and yes, I know his defense was trash).

Now the question becomes, did they lose because Brees was inefficient or was Brees inefficient because they were losing? I mean that genuinely. Was Dak really worse this year before his injury than his rookie season? Now I don't watch many Cowboys games and I won't try to shape a narrative around boxscore scouting, but it seemed to me that, despite the record, Dak was willing Dallas to stay competitive in every game he played in. (No small feat, given the locker-room was on the cusp of mutiny against their DC? And their HC literally conned his way into the job?)

I genuinely want to stress this question, too. I think most of us on this site understand the fallacy of "My teams chances of winning improve when my lead back rushes for 100 yards" to mean "more rushing yards implies better chance of winning". So, are these QB efficiency stats actually predictive or merely descriptive of performance? Is it causation or just correlation?

I actually love the passer rating stat as a handy back-of-the-envelope number to get a sense of performance, but I remember reading on PFF a long time ago that passer rating was more of a (paraphrasing) description of the performance of the passing game overall vs. just how well the QB played.  

Edited by Fray32