Will this offseason usher in a new era of trading?

JiffyJag

Will more QBs demand trades from bad teams?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Will more QBs demand trades from bad teams?

• Yes
    • No
    • pls texans trade Watson to my team

7 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Not sure what industry y’all working in but there’s much more collaboration between different levels of the organizational structure in my industry compared to when I first started.

This idea that coaches coach and players play seems dated. That mentally is slowly going away across the board and not just in sports.

A coach needs to get input from players and get a feel for what they are seeing on the field in order to better do their jobs. And viceversa, coaches are watching the game from a different vantage point and can show players things they may not be seeing. Collaboration.

A player generally knows what they are good at. So there’s no harm in an owner getting feedback from say a QB about playing style. If I’m in say GB’s FO, I’m most definitely asking Rodgers what type of offense he thinks fits him best. It’s a piece of the puzzle. 

Absolutely. @Matts4313and I already said that the player should be able to state their preferences, have them deeply considered, and sit-in on all interviews.

That doesn't mean, however, that they should any actual final say (unless it's in their contract), or should have any actual control on who's being hired.

2 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Watson doesn’t even have to retire. He can still get his money and cause havoc for Houston. And then it becomes a game of who blinks first.

I doubt Watson would do anything distractive during the Regular Season. That's disrespectful to your teammates and they would resent him. During the Off-Season? Have at it.

2 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Watson doesn’t even have to retire. He can still get his money and cause havoc for Houston. And then it becomes a game of who blinks first.

No he cant. By preseason he will be well over a million in fines. By the seasons end its like $10m he will owe the Texans. And then they have a right to ask for another ~$26m in signing bonus to be repaid.

All his money will go away. 

And if he does "cause havoc" - they can fine him for that as well. Its like $50k per an instance.

1 minute ago, Xenos said:

If the job is amazing but the environment becomes toxic, I secretly look for another job 😂

Not if you are under contract you dont. You get sued by your company in that scenario. 

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

No he cant. By preseason he will be well over a million in fines. By the seasons end its like $10m he will owe the Texans. And then they have a right to ask for another ~$26m in signing bonus to be repaid.

And if he does "cause havoc" - they can fine him for that as well. Its like $50k per an instance.

Not if you are under contract you dont. You get sued by your company in that scenario. 

It's like people here don't understand basic Law and Business. Then again, not too many Lawyers on this forum. I only know of @ronjon1990

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

It's like people here don't understand basic Law and Business. Then again, not too many Lawyers on this forum. I only know of @ronjon1990

When ever people say things like that, I normally chalk it up to them being young. But that guy was a business owner. He should know better. 

@Ragnarok, @The_Slamman, @SwAg, @Shady Slim, @fretgod99 are all lawyers as well. I think @jrry32 is also. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I always forget that you would prefer 8-8 years with Watson (and crap draft assets) while Easterby keeps his job. I must have misunderstood you. 

You understand that nearly a year ago, this team was beating KC in the playoffs 24-0, right? They also beat Sean McDermott and the #2 ranked defense about this time last year in the playoffs, so... They're really that bad? 

The only thing that was missing from that team and this current team was DeAndre Hopkins and a 6th round NT. Hopkins loss lead to Watson having a career year across every bulk stat as well as those precious efficiency stats you like to play with. That NT - DJ Reader - was the reason the Texans defense was top 5 vs the run in 2019, but bottom 30 in 2020.

This current 4-12 Texans team went 2-8 in one score games, lost both Colts games by a turnover on a GW drive, had leads in both Titans games with less than :30 seconds left to play. That's 6-0 in the division if exactly four plays don't happen the way they do. (And it's not because David Johnson, let me tell you that).

So, for as far as you like to project them... they actually weren't. And it's not because of JJ Watt or Romeo Crennell.

I don't know if you're being intentionally obtuse or you're this ignorant, but understand - I have a bit of a better understanding of this situation than you do. I've only been monitoring in depth for... I dunno, 20+ years.

So, stay in your lane.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

What Watson can do is refuse to play because he's injured, like Jalen Ramsey did.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

100%. He chose to take the money knowing it's about to be a dumpster fire. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

That's not how the NFL works. He chooses were job security, franchise tag (and possibly have the same result as Dak), or retirement. It's why everyone in the NFL always signs the big deal. It's a violent sport with very little safety net if you can't play at a high level

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

You understand that nearly a year ago, this team was beating KC in the playoffs 24-0, right? They also beat Sean McDermott and the #2 ranked defense about this time last year in the playoffs, so... They're really that bad? 

I do. And I understand you hated your FO/Coach-GM at that point as well. You had no draft capitol and you were about to trade away one of your best players.

The only thing that was missing from that team and this current team was DeAndre Hopkins and a 6th Round NT. Hopkins loss lead to Watson having a career year across every bulk stat as well as those precious efficiency stats you like to play with. 

And another year of getting older, worse, less talented, more expensive and coached at a mediocre level.

This current 4-12 Texans team went 2-8 in one score games, lost both Colts games by a turnover on a GW drive, had leads in both Titans games with less than :30 seconds left to play. That's 6-0 in the division if exactly four plays don't happen the way they do. (And it's not because David Johnson, let me tell you that).

If and butts, am I right? Weve lost an enormous amount of one score games lately and no one thinks we are real competitors either.

So, for as far as you like to project them... they actually weren't. And it's not because of JJ Watt or Romeo Crennell.

Didnt JJ Watt call out his teammates for being lazy or not caring? Something like that? 

I don't know if you're being intentionally obtuse or you're this ignorant, but understand - I have a bit of a better understanding of this situation than you do. I've only been monitoring in depth for... I dunno, 20+ years.

So, stay in your lane.

Lol. I am only repeating what you have said the last 5 years.

So, dont talk out of both sides of your mouth. 

6 minutes ago, Malik said:

That's not how the NFL works. He chooses were job security, franchise tag (and possibly have the same result as Dak), or retirement. It's why everyone in the NFL always signs the big deal. It's a violent sport with very little safety net if you can't play at a high level

Yes, I agree with you. I'd take the big long guaranteed contract as well. But if you for sure 100% want out of Houston, you have to risk the Franchise Tag (which you'll still make a lot of $ on) and then be gone after 1-2 years. You can't just sign a big contract and then be like "I DEMAND a trade 100%, even if you don't want to trade me what so ever" and expect to be traded. That's not how business or law works... and that's basically having your cake and eating it too.

Edited by BayRaider

@ET80v=> Is "ignorant and obtuse" to believe that the best case scenario is for Easterby to be gone? 

I know youve said you want him gone.

Is it "ignorant and obtuse" to believe the best thing for HOU is the nuclear option to get him gone?

I know you have said this is the best outcome if Watson is traded.

I am simply repeating your thoughts. And apparently those thoughts are now "horribly wrong"

I picked a lane to say in. Your lane. But you are flip flopping like this is the waffle house.

So how about you use that 20 years of knowledge that you are bragging about, form an opinion, and then stick to it. 

Still ❤️❤️ you, big guy. 

Ill see myself to your legendary ignore list

Edited by Matts4313

7 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I do. And I understand you hated your FO/Coach-GM at that point as well. You had no draft capitol and you were about to trade away one of your best players

And this team was still going 11-5 and winning playoff games. I'm irrelevant to the situation, how I feel doesn't really change the math - they did something that worked.

7 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

And another year of getting older, worse, less talented, more expensive and coached at a mediocre level.

But with a trump card on hand that could win games, in a division that runs hot and cold. Improve a defense with parts that can be had later in drafts and suddenly you have that trump card with a defense that could hold a lead.

9 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

If and butts, am I right? Weve lost an enormous amount of one score games lately and no one thinks we are real competitors either.

Difference is the Texans actually made the playoffs and won in the playoffs, less than 18 months ago. 

10 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Didnt JJ Watt call out his teammates for being lazy or not caring? Something like that?

Watt is frustrated with the losing, and he's been vocal about that. He never called anyone out, but I have it on good authority it's coming soon and it's directed towards someone who isn't a teammate...

So, it's coming but it's not calling out teammates... It's going to be calling out Easterby.

13 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Lol. I am only repeating what you have said the last 5 years.

So, dont talk out of both sides of your mouth. 

Wait, you think I've said the Texans are a bad team? I've been up front about Bill O'Brien and the organizational structure of the Texans, but I've held firm that this roster is a few pieces away (contingent Watson is around). Secondary needs an overhaul at CB, a new NT is needed to free up others for run stopping and Whitney Mercilius needs less PT. That's really it, the offense can create as-is, and any RB not named David Johnson could get production going here. 

My issue has been - and will always be - coaching and roster management. I don't trust that those very simple needs will ever be filled, and my concerns were pretty much validated with the GM/HC search.