Matt Ryan or Matt Stafford?

notthatbluestuff

28 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

Then you add in the fact that the sequence of play calls after that catch was absurd from Shanny when it should have been 3 straight run plays and a FG kick.   But even then with those dumb pass play calls  Mack was injured and let a defender run straight into ryan in less than 2 seconds from the snap on 1 play causing a sack.  Then on the very next play just to prove Ryan could still overcome some adversity he hit Sanu to put us back to the 20 or so and in FG range which should have kept the clock going or caused them to use a timeout.  But Jake Matthews decided to put someone in a chokehold on that same play negating ryans throw and sanu's catch and again stopping the clock and saving their timeout.   At that point ryan not once but twice got us in FG range even with the dumb play calls from Shanny and bc of the sack and penalty caused by our O-line we are now 3rd and 33 outside of FG range.  Ryan literally missed 6 throws the entire fricken game he was about as perfect as anyone has ever been in a SB.  I don't know of any team or QB overcoming a 3rd and 33 against that patriot team after you already got the team in FG range and having it should be over not once but twice on that same drive.

And even then, up 8 with 3 min left, the defense needs to hold.

10 hours ago, biggie. said:

This is Peyton Manning logic: QB gets alll the credit when they win, none of the blame when they lose.

This always sounds wrong when you say it, but it actually makes sense. If QB is the strength of the team in the face of a weakness, then...yeah. They’re going to get credit for wins and passes for losses. 

If you have a team that averages 30+ PPG with an MVP QB, and a historically bad defense, you’re not going to blame that MVP QB if they lose a playoff game 49-51 or something. Or if you want to use a real life example, most would agree MVP Peterson was the driving force of that sorry Vikings playoff team, but no one blames him for that playoff loss when you have Joe freaking Webb as the QB. If the strength of your team consistently outshines it’s weakness, the strength deserves credit. If the team’s weakness drags down the team’s strength, the weakness deserves the blame. It’s pretty simple.

It does get overstated, both too often and to too far an extent. Doesn’t make it wrong though, at least in principle.

Edited by Yin-Yang
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, scar988 said:

That's not on Ryan. He didn't play defense. He didn't continue to call passes on 3rd-and-1 when his run game was getting 7 yards per carry. He didn't miss a block. He didn't drop an interception. It literally took a perfect storm of **** for that lead to erode. And even then, Ryan did everything he could to win that game. That last pass to Julio Jones was a money pass in that situation.

Defense has to hold, but the offense has to keep its foot on the gas.

22 minutes ago, biggie. said:

Defense has to hold, but the offense has to keep its foot on the gas.

Or offense has to just call 5 more running plays in key situations while running the playclock down to the 10 sec point and that game is over and Falcons win by 8+

20 hours ago, scar988 said:

Ryan is soft? He's missed 3 games in his career due to injury. Total. Ever. 

He's taken 410 sacks to Staffords 385. Stafford has missed 27 games. 

Stafford is softer by far.

I would've liked to see Matt Ryan's career under slightly different circumstances, but as is I can't throw out the 28-3 choke. That changes a man. As is Stafford is the grizzled veteran who gave Detroit his all. Matt Ryan is a choker. I'll take Matthew Stafford.

1 hour ago, Kirill said:

I would've liked to see Matt Ryan's career under slightly different circumstances, but as is I can't throw out the 28-3 choke. That changes a man. As is Stafford is the grizzled veteran who gave Detroit his all. Matt Ryan is a choker. I'll take Matthew Stafford.

The idea that he's a choker because of that is dumb. He didn't even choke. The defense did. You give a defense a 25 point lead, they should hold onto it. 

I'm done here though, this false narrative is being pushed too much. 

12 hours ago, scar988 said:

And even then, up 8 with 3 min left, the defense needs to hold.

Yeah but damn man i gotta give the D some of a pass they was on the field for 99 plays to the Pats 46.  Quite a few of those drives that caused the 99 plays were actual stops on 3rd/4th down that imo weren't even penalties but that goes on in favor for us and not for us throughout the season.  So im not complaining about that it just sucks it was in the SB and hurt our defense alot more as far as being tired.   But the biggest culprit to me for hurting the defense was again Shanny with all the passing and stopping the clock instead of running the ball a ton and giving them longer breathers between each time they had to go against the Pats O again.

For me this will always be the order of who was to blame the most in that game

Coaches - Shanny then Quinn
O-line for allowing a sack and a hold in the most crucial situations
Freeman for completely whiffing on a block that allowed sack fumble
Defense for blowing a 25 point lead although i feel they got jipped by shanny and his playcalling not helping them rest.

Edited by FalconFan13

7 hours ago, ClutchDJ said:

Matt Stafford has to be the most overrated player, let alone QB, in the league right now. 

Matt Ryan isn’t what he was a couple years ago, but this is still insulting to Ryan.

It's because Stafford played his career in Detroit. If he had the same exact career in any mid market city with good weather like Atlanta, Houston, or Tennessee he wouldn't get all these excuses. 

On 1/30/2021 at 11:38 PM, BayRaider said:

I keep tellin people.. the two years Ryan had a great OC: 2016, and 2018, he tore the league apart both years. Mahomes would look average with Dirk Koetter, no doubt in my mind.

Is it crazy to think if Ryan would've got with the right coach for most of his career then he would've had a very similar career to Drew Brees? 

10 hours ago, EAGLES3658 said:

Is it crazy to think if Ryan would've got with the right coach for most of his career then he would've had a very similar career to Drew Brees? 

Not crazy at all. Honestly, if he had the right coach his whole career, he'd be closer to Brady in playoff success.

On 3/3/2021 at 6:35 AM, ClutchDJ said:

Matt Stafford has to be the most overrated player, let alone QB, in the league right now. 

Matt Ryan isn’t what he was a couple years ago, but this is still insulting to Ryan.

I guess we'll find out now that Stafford is with the Rams. 

1 hour ago, LieutenantGains said:

Lol? I don't understand how that would make him go from 4-6 in the playoffs to around 34-11.

Maybe because he’d have a coach that didn’t have Dirk Koetter wasting his career as OC. Maybe because a different coach would have actually built a competent defense to compliment him the way Belichick did for Brady.