How do you think your teams all time best offense matches up with their all time defense?

CP3MVP

Let’s say you matched up on a neutral field under 2020 rules, how would your favorite teams all time best single season offense do against the best defense for a season. How much does it change if we play by the rules of the defense in that year?

So as a patriots fan for example it would be 2007 Offense against 2003 or 2019 Pats defense. I prefer 2019 because of the secondary even though 2003 has a much better front 7 but that’s me. Gilmore on Moss is interesting. I think the big advantage in that game is the vastly superior Pats offensive line going against the 2019 Pats Front 7. The Superbowl was a disaster but people forget how dominating that offensive line was.

Edited by CP3MVP

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Letsch80 said:

Man this one is juicy!! 2019 Ravens offense vs 2000 Ravens defense!! That historic run game vs that historic rush defense would have been something to see..

I'm putting my money on that 2000 defense.  That group was incredible against the run.

• Like 1

I'm not a very good Jaguars historian, but I don't remember them having an offense that could have stood up to that 2017 defense.

Going back to the Vikings, it would have to be the '98 offense vs. one of the Purple People Eater defenses.  I think I'd probably go with Bud's defense.

Edited by Uncle Buck

1999 Jaguars offense vs 2017 Jaguars defense

I’m going with 1999. 

Even though Calais was a contender for DPOY, I have no doubt that Boselli would have completely neutralized him. Searcy was good enough that I think he mostly contains Yan’s pass rush, and just completely dominates him in the run game. 

Jimmy and Keenan vs Ramsey and Bouye would be an all timer. Even though the 2017 defense struggled against advanced passing concepts and mostly got their shine off of backup QBs, this would still be one that goes either way.

2017’s run defense was passable after they traded for Dareus, but was very much still not great. 1999’s offensive line was just so good all the way across, I’d expect Fred Taylor + James Stewart to eat. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, pwny said:

1999 Jaguars offense vs 2017 Jaguars defense

I’m going with 1999. 

Even though Calais was a contender for DPOY, I have no doubt that Boselli would have completely neutralized him. Searcy was good enough that I think he mostly contains Yan’s pass rush, and just completely dominates him in the run game. 

Jimmy and Keenan vs Ramsey and Bouye would be an all timer. Even though the 2017 defense struggled against advanced passing concepts and mostly got their shine off of backup QBs, this would still be one that goes either way.

2017’s run defense was passable after they traded for Dareus, but was very much still not great. 1999’s offensive line was just so good all the way across, I’d expect Fred Taylor + James Stewart to eat. 

id actually say based on the league rankings the jags best offense was 97.  ground and pound with Means and Stewart

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TankWilliams said:

lol.  85 bears d vs which offense exactly? 

this is the first thing that everyone that saw this topic thought of

6 hours ago, Letsch80 said:

Man this one is juicy!! 2019 Ravens offense vs 2000 Ravens defense!! That historic run game vs that historic rush defense would have been something to see..

not that juicy IMO .. again the defense would tear them apart....it would be closer than the Bears one though

5 hours ago, TankWilliams said:

lol.  85 bears d vs which offense exactly? 

Wasn't Trestman's first offense fairly prolific? If not that, probably one of the Erik Kramer years.

I'm not going to bother looking it up.

'85-'88 Bears defenses tower above them all. 

20 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Wasn't Trestman's first offense fairly prolific? If not that, probably one of the Erik Kramer years.

I'm not going to bother looking it up.

'85-'88 Bears defenses tower above them all. 

It was. Tied NE for 2nd in PPG that season IIRC correctly.

The best would still probably be the 85 Bears offense vs the 85 or 86 Bears defense. Mediocre QB but Sweetness and a bunch of bullies on the OL.

• Like 1